PDA

View Full Version : Something a bit more elegant...

VladicusMaximus
01-04-2009, 22:16
I've been playing OK for about 6 months now and am generally dissapointed with the overall feel of the army. I wanted a challenge. Originally I thought I'd like the small unit, big nasty approach, but it turns out I should have gone with something more elegant. Thats my play style.

So the question I have is what would you suggest for a challenging yet elegant army? I am intrigued by Wood Elves, partially because they look great, but other than that i'm not really sure what my options would be.

Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Dokushin
01-04-2009, 22:28
Elegant is a bit of a fuzzy term to describe an army with. Are you talking about aesthetics, combo potential, unit size, stat line, point cost, what? Small units? Big units? Flexibility? Resilience? Aggression?

Rolo Ramone
01-04-2009, 22:41
Dark Elves are a lot more elegant than Orcs. They are assassines, they spy each other, they are sadistics. I Think that could be more elegant when you are in a war...

EDIT: Oh, and I almost forgot: They are Elves.

VladicusMaximus
01-04-2009, 22:49
Elegant as in I don't want to constantly be charging big guys into other big guys, hoping that my toughness holds up. Ogres have a bit of what i'm looking for; their mobile, but I want something that requires more thought, more choices, and I want to be able to utilize missile fire (or magic) with mobility.

Hvidponi
01-04-2009, 22:56
Wood Elves seems elegant in thier playstyle to me... All about dancing.... Dark Elves can do the same, just better...

Master Stark
01-04-2009, 22:59
Ogres have a bit of what i'm looking for; their mobile, but I want something that requires more thought

If you are finding that you don't require much thought to win with ogres, then I am afraid you are going to be disappointed. Ogres are generally considered the most under-powered army, and scoring a win with them requires more thought than with most armies.

szlachcic
01-04-2009, 23:38
If you are finding that you don't require much thought to win with ogres, then I am afraid you are going to be disappointed. Ogres are generally considered the most under-powered army, and scoring a win with them requires more thought than with most armies.

I think he is talking more about the playstyle of the Ogres, not that he is tired of winning with them so easily. If you are looking for a list with more synergy and thought put into movement, etc. then as others have mentioned I would recommend both WEs and DEs.

Somerandomidiot
01-04-2009, 23:50
Elegant as in I don't want to constantly be charging big guys into other big guys, hoping that my toughness holds up. Ogres have a bit of what i'm looking for; their mobile, but I want something that requires more thought, more choices, and I want to be able to utilize missile fire (or magic) with mobility.

Sounds like you're looking for Wood Elves. They've got a LOT of mobility, shooting troops, and can still take tough things like forest spirits and giant trees. And to top it all off, they look ace.

Woodsman
02-04-2009, 00:16
High elves? In terms of models, they're very elegant.
Then you can tailor your list nicely, to be whatever you percieve to be, elegant.

Lord Malorne
02-04-2009, 00:21
Wood Elves are a great choice and play very cometitively, and yes, I have played and won/drawn/lossed to daemons, I play them on a equal footing, which is saying a lot.

Here is a link that should help...

http://www.asrai.org/

Dai-Mongar
02-04-2009, 00:28
Tomb Kings perhaps? They certainly require planning and tactical thought, and they can combine mobility with firepower quite easily as they always hit on 5+.

Dexter099
02-04-2009, 00:47
Warriors of Chaos would probably be best for you, since you like powerful units yet want some sort of variety and finess. Playing Chaos gives that, since you have to manage your strong and weak unit types.

mweaver
02-04-2009, 02:31
It really does sound like elves are what you are looking for. If you want a big beastie or two, go with the dark elves. The tree units are pretty tough for the woodelves. Aesthetically, I prefer the wood elves (although I do like most of the DE models as well).

PARTYCHICORITA
02-04-2009, 03:04
So the question I have is what would you suggest for a challenging yet elegant army?

If you want an elegant AND challenging army play High elves and don't go magic or dragon heavy. Infantry base HE are rather hard to play (don't mind all the ASF whinners out there) since they are expensive, fragile and difficult to support.

WE also kind of fit on the description but once you get a hold on them they become extremely powerful so on the long run they are not as much of a challenge.

jason
02-04-2009, 03:55
Tomb Kings perhaps?

I'll second the TK. You can have a pretty "elegant" magic phase with VC too. And by elegant I mean brutal...to your opponent.

Dokushin
02-04-2009, 03:57
If you mean what I think you mean, you may want to give Dwarves a try.

Hear me out. Dwarves aren't really popular, because it's hard to get a good melee build out of them -- they're tailored for mass shooting and warmachines. But to this end, they have a lot of different warmachines (more than any other army) and bucketloads of upgrades for them (no one else can do that).

They've got two types of core ranged shooters, and some really hard to kill melee -- basically the whole army is T4 with heavy armor. There's stubborn and unbreakable in special. The catch is the whole army is M3. This means that strategic (not tactical) maneuvering is critical for dwarves, and you really have to 'get' how to fit the pieces together to make the machine work.

You can just sit back and shoot, and it might win you some games, but someone who really 'gets' dwarves can lay down some artillery fire, shoot off some rifles, then (slowly) march and wheel in with a huge number of stubborn/unbreakable/scouting/ambushing melee units.

Everything in the army is a 'dwarf', and priced accordingly -- all your infantry comes in at 14 points/model or less (12 for t4 stubborn greatweapons in heavy armor, 11 for unbreakable with two attacks that always wound on 4+).

You don't have items, you have 'runes', which can be inscribed in various combinations to customize your gear with pretty impressive lists of effects.

There's real potential, there, but you have to execute a plan on a larger scale than most armies, and plan a few turns ahead. People rightly fear dwarven artillery (BS5 S8 bolt throwers, rerollable stone throwers, artillery-die autohit S5), but when dwarven melee closes it's in my experience a much greater threat.

It should be challenging, but function well if you plan it well, and it has a certain dignity to it -- literally everything in the army is a warmachine or a dwarf. There are no mounts or monsters. Everything is a Dwarf, and the only thing that doesn't M3 is a rare warmachine flyer, the Gyrocopter. It has a refreshing purity.

Cypher, the Emperor
02-04-2009, 04:32
This may sound odd, but Brettonians would fit your playstyle.

They are a highly mobile force that requires a good tactical eye for when you do charges and such. The army seems simple on the outside, but timing your charges and setting them up is very fun and if you go the route of including peasants then it gets even more fun.

That or woodelves.

LKHERO
02-04-2009, 04:49
Any of the Elven Armies (High, Dark, Wood).

VladicusMaximus
02-04-2009, 04:56
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like i'll be heading over to the WE's. They seem to have everything I want.

Its not that I won easily with Ogres, as a matter of fact i'm well under .500 with them. They really are a tough army to play.

Thanks again.

Gorbad Ironclaw
02-04-2009, 07:15
Warriors of Chaos would probably be best for you, since you like powerful units yet want some sort of variety and finess. Playing Chaos gives that, since you have to manage your strong and weak unit types.

You really think so?

Chaos gives you a dozen different ways to have guys run up to the opponent and bash there face in with a big axe, but that is all the army does. There is a bit more variety in the characters but at it's core the WoC army is about as single minded as you get!

lybban
02-04-2009, 08:21
I play WE and they are fun to play. You can really vary your list to suit different styles and they are very mobile. Plus thay are the best minis GW has ever produced. If they made new zombies and black knights VC would be up there but so far...

Urgat
02-04-2009, 09:28
"insert poster's favourite army there"
Mine is more elegant than yours :p