Ok so I've finally settled on an Isengard force for War of the Ring;

Lurtz
4x Urak-hai Warband w/ Banner Bearer
2x Urak-hai Phalanx w/ Banner Bearer, Shaman
Urak-hai Sappers
Urak-hai Beserkers
Isengard Troll

Lurtz will join the Warband and head down the centre aiming to tie down the opponent so the Beserkers can hit them.
The 2 Phalanx formations will guard the wings and support the Warband using the Ruin spells from the Shaman.
The Sappers will be sent in to engage the enemies elite units, they do as much damage as possible before dying (good old fantatics ;)).
The Troll is a trouble shooter, he sticks behind the Warband and between the Phalanxes hitting any units that threaten their flanks/rear.

Thoughts? :)

takaetun
01-04-2009, 23:06
I'd recommend getting a couple of captains - actually, one in all your big three units. I'm not sure of the rules for Sappers, but a) they aren't R2, so will die fast, and b) may be nice, but captains are more important. You really need those extra might points and abilities, heroic charges and so forth. If you have the model, I'd reccommend a musician too.

Two isn't really that many companies in a formation, but I haven't really played games smaller than 1500, so maybe it works in 1000, but it probably won't in any larger.

You need another troll. Like, need. Two trolls are not only worth three trolls (cookies to people who get that), they also don't die in turn one to the 30+ shots your average army will pump out. Shooting is big in WotR, and an Isengard force relies on hitting hard, not mitigating damage, though they do that fairly well too.

Fredox
02-04-2009, 00:44
Watching this one with interest as I'll be using Isengard for the foreseeable future.

dtjunkie19
02-04-2009, 03:38
Ok so I've finally settled on an Isengard force for War of the Ring;

Lurtz
4x Urak-hai Warband w/ Banner Bearer
A captain is more important here than the banner. If you have points for both, great, but otherwise meh I'd drop the banner.
I havent personally tried out shaman's or any of the unit caster upgrades, however, at 100 points they are almost as expensive as a ringwraith with only a mastery level of 1! Not worth it in my opinion. Instead cut both shaman and the banner bearers and you can get saruman if you want a great magic caster.
same as above
Urak-hai Sappers
If you do want to run these guys, be careful they have to be very far from anything else.
Urak-hai Beserkers
Isengard Troll

Lurtz will join the Warband and head down the centre aiming to tie down the opponent so the Beserkers can hit them.
The 2 Phalanx formations will guard the wings and support the Warband using the Ruin spells from the Shaman.
The Sappers will be sent in to engage the enemies elite units, they do as much damage as possible before dying (good old fantatics ;)).
The Troll is a trouble shooter, he sticks behind the Warband and between the Phalanxes hitting any units that threaten their flanks/rear.

Thoughts? :)

Just my thoughts a good start :) good luck!

Jorgen_CAB
02-04-2009, 06:05
Sounds as a solid strategy. I would also throw in one or two small formations of Warg Riders (1 or 2 companies each depending on the size of the game) as strategical reserve behind you main line as well as the Troll. The troll is very useful as a chock force and the Warg Riders could take care of attacking any breach in your line or flank charge any units that tries to spearhead into your line without flank support.

Nilhouse
02-04-2009, 13:37
Great looking list, however, I second everything takaetun said.

Just to add a little more though, Shamans are really only useful if you are trying to saturate your opponent with magic. You are almost always better off with an epic character as a caster. Ringwraiths give you so many bonuses and they are only 25 points more.

Sappers are very cool, and if you can get them into a fight with a realy expensive unit they will pay off. Think of them as a counter-charge unit, because nobody in their right mind will ever charge them. The trick is that you only want them to counter charge something you don't mind dying also.

Rirekon
03-04-2009, 07:43
Thanks for all the replies everyone! :)

So my adjusted list looks like this;

Lurtz
4x Urak-hai Warband w/ Captain, Drummer
3x Urak-hai Phalanx w/ Captain
3x Urak-hai Phalanx w/ Captain
Urak-hai Beserkers
Isengard Troll
Isengard Troll

Had another look at the Sappers and I agree they're not worth it at this points level, too much investment. Added Captains to all formations and increased the bulk of the Phalanx formations, plus that extra Troll.

takaetun
03-04-2009, 07:46
How many points is that exactly? Is the drummer just there to bring it up to full, couldn't spend another 20 points for a banner? Nothing worse than a failed charge roll, although its worse for Cav... Fine for the pikemen though, but if you can, I'd swap the drummer for a banner.

All else is good though. :)

Rirekon
03-04-2009, 09:25
It's bang on 1000 points at the moment, a banner would have been good... though I am considering swapping the Warband and Phalanx contents over to give me;

4x Urak-hai Phalanx w/ Captain, Drummer
3x Urak-hai Warband w/ Captain
3x Urak-hai Warband w/ Captain

Then I can use the Phalanx as a bait unit (it doesn't matter who charges, the number of attacks will be the same) and then use the Warbands for counter-charging.

What do people think?

Jorgen_CAB
03-04-2009, 09:47
Personally I like smaller formation for counter charging and some bigger main units. Something like two 4xPhalanx formations with Captains and two 2xWabands with no captains (maybe drummers if the points allow you, to get them some extra move capacity). But I mainly use small cavalry formation for counter charging, works much better and they hide behind the big formations until they are needed.

Also nice with small counter formation when those nasty flying creatures tries to land behind your lines. You could tie them up for a turn or two, or kill them if you are really lucky. If you move an epic hero to them when attacking that dragon, then that much greater chance to kill it.

Though, I have only played with the real rules once now... my other games was using the quick rules.

Spider-pope
03-04-2009, 10:35
The second list is much more effective. The problem with the first iteration of your army was a few bad rolls and your formations would be wiped out quite quick. And the captains in each formation should give some decent options and some defense against magic. The Spells of Dismay can be quite brutal on evil armies, so you definitely needed that option.

takaetun
03-04-2009, 17:49
*cough* It's Uruk. With a second u.

Remind me, Lurtz doesn't get to use his bow when in a non-bow armed unit, does he? Or does he anyway, just getting one shot plus accuracy bonus? Or, as the unit gets his fight value (possibly including shoot), the whole unit can shoot?

Nilhouse
03-04-2009, 19:48
I didn't think he actually had a bow, he just has his assassin's shot ability? Maybe I am remembering incorrectly.

Rirekon
03-04-2009, 20:00
*ehem* yeah sorry about the miss spelling of Uruk-hai ;)

Lurtz has an Assassin's shot ability, Hero's don't get their own ranged attacks - they just attack alone with the rest of the unit (I think).

Edit; Thinking further about things I think I will make the change to one 4x Phalanx and two 3x Warband as it then means Lurtz can sit in a unit which gives him +1 to his Fight value - making him Fight 7 for Duels :D

skallagrimsson
16-04-2009, 15:46
Lurtz has Epic strike - F10 til end of phase as well. And mighty blow - good against horses and or monsters.

FuzzyOrb
17-04-2009, 17:23
*ehem* yeah sorry about the miss spelling of Uruk-hai ;)

Edit; Thinking further about things I think I will make the change to one 4x Phalanx and two 3x Warband as it then means Lurtz can sit in a unit which gives him +1 to his Fight value - making him Fight 7 for Duels :D

Heroes in duels do not benefit from weapons of the companies they are in;)

Rirekon
17-04-2009, 19:02
Heroes in duels do not benefit from weapons of the companies they are in;)

Really, where does it say that? In the Hero section it says they are considered to be equipped with whatever their formation has...

skallagrimsson
17-04-2009, 19:47
Really, where does it say that? In the Hero section it says they are considered to be equipped with whatever their formation has...

Sorry, page 67 kills that dream dead. Last paragraph on the page "It should be noted that Heros do not recieve any modifiers from the wargear of their company". Pikes are pieces of wargear. So no lovely +1 F. However, as i mentioned before Epic strike does affect the F of the Hero in the duel. F 10 anyone?

Rirekon
17-04-2009, 22:37
Awww, oh well. Thanks for the rule check :)