PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on Sirienne's Locket

Neknoh
02-04-2009, 00:31
"[...] can never suffer more than one wound [---]" is the key here, that is a direct quote, there are a few other strings attatched, but they aren't important for this very question.

So... seing as the FAQ hasn't answered it, nor has there been any discussion on it here on Warseer, I take it I might simply be reading too much into it, or questioning it a bit too much.

To me, since there is a VERY specific distinction of "Unsaved Wounds" in other items spread throughout armybooks, this is, to me, an indication that the Locket is talking about wounds BEFORE saves, i.e.

Bobbert the bangy chaos lord attacks Francois d' France the posh Bretonnian Lord:

Bobbert hits five times
Bobbert rolls to wound
Bobbert gets 3 dice that manage to wound, but the locket kicks in, removing two of those
Bobbert inflicts 1 wound that Francois must save.

Is this the proper way of reading it?

rottahn
02-04-2009, 01:41
it would help to hear the whole quote, and i think the whole quote says it doesnt suffer more than one wound per hit. i.e. d6 and d3 wounds only do one wound to the bearer.

havoc626
02-04-2009, 04:30
Reading the rule, yes, the was that Neknoh played it would be correct. Even if there were other models able to attack the brettonian lord, they would do no damage, unless they were magical.

T10
02-04-2009, 07:09
The locket limits the number of wounds lost ("suffered") and doesn't come into play until after saves.

-T10

dannyfave
02-04-2009, 07:09
I belive it is that he cannot take more than one wound in any phase of the game.... I.E he can take a wound from shooting, then he can take a wound in combat, but never more than one in any one phase.

T10
02-04-2009, 07:13
While true, the crux of the matter is that the OP would like to hear that the Locket reduces the number of wounds before saves, thus giving the character a very good chance of escaping harm altogether.

-T10

Necromancy Black
02-04-2009, 07:22
If you argue that "only suffer one wound..." means before save, then i can argue that this won't stop wound multipliers as there was only one wound suffered with does x amount of wounds.

After all, the OP has said as there seems to be a VERY specific distinction of "Unsaved Wounds" from wounds, meaning that the two are not the same. Cannon balls ftw!

Neknoh
02-04-2009, 07:26
It does specifically state it stops wound multipliers, so you would not be able to stop that :p

And T10, that is indeed what I would like to hear whether I have interpreted it properly or not, and as I said earlier, and as pointed out by Necromancy Black, there is a very distinct difference between "wounds suffered" and "wounds suffered after saves etc." leading me to think that the 55 point locket might actually be worth its points when it comes to limiting damage.

Necromancy Black
02-04-2009, 07:32
What's the entire quote of this rule anyways?

Also, would it work against things like Killing Blow and Blade of Realities, neither of which actually do multiple wounds? Hell, BoR doesn't even need to roll to wound to kill you.

Neknoh
02-04-2009, 07:47
Nopes, it does not.

The important part is what I mentioned, I do not want to quote a full magic item text unless necessary, it is, essentially, what has been said throughout the thread.

However, found another nugget from it:
"After the first wound in that phase is suffered, all subsequent wounds suffered during that phase are ignored."

Now, with the BrB, we can see that, even on page 5, in the "saves" department, armoursaves are discussed as "For Example, if a Creature has a 3+ armoursave, it can normally avoid any wound it suffers by rolling 3 or more on a D6" (emphasis mine).

Under "taking armoursaves" on page 29:
"Roll a D6 for each wound suffered by your troops." (emphasis mine) if you then meet the requirements for a normal armoursave, "the wound has been deflected by its armour."

Under "Casualties" on page 31:
"If a unit is hit and suffers wounds that it does not save, then for each wound suffered, one model is removed as a kill" (emphasis mine)

I could go on.

In essence, you suffer wounds before the saves, otherwise, you would not actually take the saves.

theunwantedbeing
02-04-2009, 07:56
The bearer can never suffer more than one wound from any non-magical attack in each phase. Killing blow works as normal though, similarly he can be run down when fleeing.

It does appear to be before saves.
So you get hit 5 times, suffer 3 wounds.
Locket kicks in and you bump that down to 1 wound.
Then you start taking saving throws.

It wouldnt work vs the blade of realities as its magical.
Similarly not against killing blow either as its a specified exception.

havoc626
02-04-2009, 07:59
By the word 'suffered' I'd say it would be after saves.

Neknoh
02-04-2009, 08:02
Anything to back that up? I just provided several quotes directly from the brb specifically connecting "suffered" with the result of a positive "to wound" roll, otherwise, you could not take saves against it.

Furthermore, as has been mentioned three times in this thread allready, there is a very distinct use of the word "unsaved wounds" or "suffer unsaved wounds (after saves etc.)" in multiple rulebooks.

soots
02-04-2009, 08:38
The bearer can never suffer more than one wound from any non-magical attack in each phase.

I dont beleive i read the part about non-magical attacks? I thought it worked on everything

Gazak Blacktoof
02-04-2009, 10:12
This way lies madness.

"models cannot suffer more wounds than they have on their profile." BRB p.31

That would prevet overkill in challenges and also stop any model from having to take more saves than it has wounds. It would be a right pain to kill any character if we applied your interpretation.

Its not easter yet.

Necromancy Black
02-04-2009, 10:25
Gazak Blacktoof just found the bullet to your plans Neknoh. If the BRB wording was playes the same as your item then you would only be able to make 2 wounds before saves on a single hero, even if it was an Old-Blood on carno with 13 attacks!

EldarBishop
02-04-2009, 14:01
Bobbert the bangy chaos lord attacks Francois d' France the posh Bretonnian Lord:

Bobbert hits five times
Bobbert rolls to wound
Bobbert gets 3 dice that manage to wound
Bobbert inflicts 3 wounds that Francois must save... however,
Francois only saves one of them, locket kicks in and discards the "extra" wound, since he can only suffer a single wound

Should work like this.

sulla
02-04-2009, 19:10
The bearer can never suffer more than one wound from any non-magical attack in each phase. Killing blow works as normal though, similarly he can be run down when fleeing.

It does appear to be before saves.
So you get hit 5 times, suffer 3 wounds.
Locket kicks in and you bump that down to 1 wound.
Then you start taking saving throws.

It wouldnt work vs the blade of realities as its magical.
Similarly not against killing blow either as its a specified exception.

But isn't he being 'attacked' 5 times, not one? That's what the attack profile on a character are for. So if 3 wounds are taken in 3 seperate attacks, the wearer has not suffered 'more than one wound from any non-magical attack in each phase'.

What a dreadfully written item. If they didn't want the bearer to suffer more than a wound per phase, leave out all the other caviats.