PDA

View Full Version : Looking back at past Codex creeps... and wondering why the lack of SW info...

Voracioustigger
02-04-2009, 04:42
Hey everyone,

Being a little more excited than most at the upcoming SW dex, I took the liberty of figuring out about when we should expect rumors. I looked at the past 3 codexes to see when (valid) rumors came up. Here are my findings....

Daemons - 5/08 Release

11/17/07 (6 months prior) Vague description (CC army) Notes Heralds as choices and introduces Soul Grinder Notes only demons in dex Notes Demon princes can be taken

01/09/08 (4 months prior) Army list + All troop abilities known + Many options known (sopofuric musk, chariots, etc)

Space Marines - 10/08 Release

- 4/20
"So to recap:
+ Combat Squads
+ B&BP
+ Frag & Krak
- Traits
- Veteran Skills
- FOC switcherooos "

-4/30 All special characters known

-5/20 (4 1/2 months prior) Pretty much complete army list and general special rules leaked

IG - 05/09 Release

- 11/15/08 (~6 months prior)
"GENERAL RUMORS
-No more doctrines
-Tanks will be in squads
-Many special charaters that will provide army wide rules like those in new SM codex
-Chimera and Hellhound might come in one combo boxed set
-Troop squads may be in the pricerange of 200Pts for 45 Guardsmen
-Many new models

MODEL RUMORS (only a sampling)
-Leman Russ multi-variant all plastic kit
-Hellhound updated
-IG Command Squad plastic kit"

-01/03/09

"Hi all, its pretty quiet today, but the following is reported regarding the upcoming IG codex.

-Return of the Griffon mortar carrier and other "old units"
-New weapon options for Sentinels and a sprue recut with the new options added.
-Sentinels are said to be split into 2 diffent FOC options based on weapon loadouts (basically heavier armed ones won't be able to scout)
-New Sanctioned Psykers
-New Ratling Snipers
-May 2nd release for the codex and other initial offering."

-2/27 Basically entire stat sheet for IG and unit listings and many prices
-Mid March Pretty much entire codex is known

So, it seems that all 3 of the last codexes have had solid info (general army outline) come out around 6 months in advance, with a complete army list of units/characters and a few special abilities known 4 months out. Then about 2 months out we know pretty much everything.

So, it looks like we have about a month (ugh) before we get a solid SW rumor outlining the list (I know we have some already, but they're all over the map and seem to be unsubstantiated guesses - They look more like the early rumors I found for IG, SM, and Daemons which were posted 8+ months out that seemed to be never more than 1/3 right). Hopefully sooner, but now at least I feel that I have a timeline... and I can keep my urge to check for rumors daily subsided for knowing of the general trend.

I hope I helped some of you in the same boat!

tangomegadeath
02-04-2009, 11:06
Nice work, by the sound of it you're correct.

What I would like to know however is are there any solid clues that a codex is imminant (say, a year or 9 months in advance).

If only GW would actually let us know the years release schedule in January [sigh].

Brimstone
02-04-2009, 12:06
What I would like to know however is are there any solid clues that a codex is imminant (say, a year or 9 months in advance).

If you are talking about Space Wolves why yes there are. ;)

[SD] Bob Plisskin
02-04-2009, 12:33
*shakes fist*

Damn you Brimstone and your vagueness!!

Reveal facts I demand it! NOW!

Putty
02-04-2009, 13:16
i saying this out of a gut feeling.

SW is out in 4th quarter. either november or december 09.

they are the surprise release this year despite DE, Nids and Necrons rumors that they will be released this year.

Voracioustigger
02-04-2009, 13:25
Nice work, by the sound of it you're correct.

If only GW would actually let us know the years release schedule in January [sigh].

It seems that merely the idea that a codex is coming within ~10 months of the "scheduled" release has been pretty solid. Looking back the past couple years... once you get within about 10 months of a codex, the rumors of that codex don't seem to increase, but the rumors of those that turn out to be fake fade away.

For example, Last year's SW release rumors started fading away around March-April of '08 and it became clear it was just a SM release.

I think the mere fact that we are no longer hearing rumors like "Maybe DE as a surprise codex in December," but we ARE still hearing rumors like "The SW codex is now complete" is the first sign that the SW codex is coming.

Take it with a grain of salt, but history repeats itself... and it's likely no coincidence that we are no longer talking about non-SW codex possibilities for a Nov/Dec release.

pookie
02-04-2009, 13:28
Bob Plisskin;3430909']*shakes fist*

Damn you Brimstone and your vagueness!!

Reveal facts I demand it! NOW!

the FACT he's posted should be enough :D