-Standard

2 Companies Black Numenorians (allies)

3 Companies Morgul Knights (allies)
-Captain

Allies: 225 points
Common Companies: 2 (or 4)
Rare Companies: 2 (or 0)

Total: 1,000 points

Quick question: does the dark martial make Black Numenorians and Morgul Knights common when he's taken from the Mordor list, or do you have to take him from the fallen kingdoms list (counting towards the ally limit here) in order to gain that benefit? Doesn't make a difference for this particular list, I'm just curious.

Anyway, battle plan is to form up a battle line with the Martial in the numenorians, flanked by the orc formations, so he can lend his fight value wherever it's needed, and has other formations to jump into if the Numenorians start taking casualties. The Morgul Knights try to set up a flank charge in support of the battle line.

The witch king deploys behind the battle line to force it forward on the first turn, then moves out to either flank with the following priorities: 1) Kill cavalry that might flank the battle line or disrupt my own cavalry, 2) Kill archers, 3) get behind the enemy battle line for disruption and rear charges. He has a combination of might, epic challenges, decent magic, and respectable combat stats to pull off whichever of these missions the enemy's army most calls for.

The army is, of course, rather small at the moment, Thanks mostly to trying to fit the witch king on fell beast in. I suppose it could (and probably should) be swapped for a troll, another epic hero, and more companies & command for the assorted infantry formations. But no, I'll be keeping him in. Just too cool. I'm more open to suggestion on other elements of the army.

takaetun
02-04-2009, 05:14
No, the Dark Marshal's rule is only for that specific list (Fallen Realms), and any other it may be listed as, not Mordor.

It seems fairly solid, nice number of nasty things backed by orcs. Doesn't seem to be too top heavy, but I'd just be concerned about your Witch King being pincushioned if he's your only anti-archer unit.

Out of curiosity, why the Dark Marshal and not, say, the Betrayer?

malisteen
02-04-2009, 05:44
Partially out of an appearantly erroneous belief that he made Black Numenorians and Morgul Knights Common even if I took him out of my main list points allowance, partially because he serves as a fluff link between the mordor and fallen kingdoms aspects of the list, partially because I've only had limited access to the book so far and didn't read the abilities for each of the Nazgul, partially because I already have the model, partially because I happen to think that model looks cool, and partially because his ability seemed relevant to an infantry battle, putting his fight value to use in two companies at a time.

That said, I could just as easily field the shadow lord instead, and with enough convincing I could be sold on any of the other nazgul, barring the Witch King, who is stuck on the fellbeast.

Pincusioning the witch king could very well be a serious issue, and it's one I'm not sure how to confront. I haven't seen the spell list for Nazgul yet, maybe there's something there that would help. I wasn't overly impressed with archery in the demo games I saw, but then again they were mostly shooting at armored infantry, rather then a single monster, and the player was rolling pretty poorly, which could easily have given me an inaccurate impression of the impact of ranged fire in WotR.

Jorgen_CAB
02-04-2009, 05:53
In my opinion the army list are too character heavy with much too few troop option, but that are simply my opinion.
In my 600p Mordor army I have more troop choices than you have in this list. It all depends on the size of your battlefield as well. If you play on small areas you might go with small number of companies because there are no room for maneuvering, on a larger battlefield you might get problems though.

takaetun
02-04-2009, 10:17
The Shadowlord of Khamul are your best choices to defend against shooting, yet neither are very good running around on their own.

I love the Dark Marshal, I'll be using the model to represent the Betrayer, who makes you able to reroll all failed hits in the formation - if I can take him in my army, I can't remember if he is one of the listed options for Fallen Realms.

Nilhouse
02-04-2009, 13:00
In such a small force I'd drop the witch king on fell beast and take at least two trolls to give you some anti-cavalry punch.

With any left over points I'd beef up your Orc formations. Orcs are awesome in large formations because of their mob rule, and are really really cheap. I can't imagine running them less than 6 large unless they were just for ranged attacks, in which case I would still use 3 at least.

Those orcs are going to do more damage than you think in such high numbers, and with a few might points from your captains you can suprise people who throw mosters at you by boosting those damage rolls on the Hard to Kill! table.

Taskmasters (I think that is the name) are very important to all evil forces for the courage boost. Anything with Courage 3 will fail a courage test half the time.

Anyway, I love Mordor, and think you have a very cool start to an elite army with all those black Neumenorians. I'm not particularly fond of Morannon orcs because they don't get Mob Rule.