PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Empire army, my first try. looking for advise.

grimhorn
02-04-2009, 05:53
This will be my third army having gone though both orcs and WoC.

The whole idea of this army is that I want to play something a bit more normal and not overdo it on some aspect of the army as I've done with my WoC, I went all out Khorne cavalry. The point Im trying to make is that I want to field a bit of it all.

So please give me pointers and suggestions on how to improve this armylist.
My friends and I play 2250 point fights and my army is at the moment only 2017 points. If something is totaly bonkers feel free to say so.

CORE:

1. Swordsmen *25
full command
det. Free company *10 = 225 p

2. Swordsmen *25
full command
det. Free company *10 = 225 p

3. Knights*8
full command = 224 p

4. Handgunners*10
marksman
Hochland longrifle = 115 p

5. Handgunners*10
marksman
Hochland longrifle = 115 p

SPECIAL:

1. Greatswords*20
full command = 230 p

2. pistoliers *5 = 90 p

3. Great cannon *1 = 100 p

RARE:

1. helblaster volleygun*1 =110 p

LORDS AND HEROES:

1. General, barded warhorse, full plate, shield, holy relic, laurels of victory = 216 p (will join the greatswords.)

2. Captain, battlestandard bearer, barded warhorse, fullplate = 97 p (will join one unit of swordsmen.)

3. Battlewizard, level 2, rod of power = 135 p. (will join a unit of handgunners)

4. Warriorpriest, barded warhorse, heavy armor, shield, icon of magnus = 135p (will join the knights.)

Makarion
02-04-2009, 06:12
I know it's personal, but in my experience free company detachments give up too much in the way of CR. I would stick to swordsman detachments in a 3*3 "brick", or halberds in a 2*5 formation if you want something killy. Also consider archer detachments, for screening purposes.

What is the idea behind a unit of 8 knights and a character, for a total of 9 models?

Atrahasis
02-04-2009, 09:39
As Makarion says, 8 is a very odd size for a cavalry unit.

I'd also question the employment of an Empire General - he's the worst Lord choice and you haven't even taken a magic banner (perhaps the only reason to ever take him).

I'd switch him out for an Arch Lector, which will not only improve your magic defense, but would also grant your greatswords hatred.

The rest is pretty standard stuff, but I'd like to see another cannon.

grimhorn
02-04-2009, 10:18
Hi!

Thank you for the swift replies!

The reason behind the army list as it is right now is that this is the models i currently own.

As you have pointed out 8 knights is a strange number and I will go for nine so that I get a +1 CR from ranks when the warriorpriest is in the unit.
I will probably add a warbanner to the unit too.

An archlector with the greatswords sounds really nice, and Ill probably do that. Both stubborn and hatred is to good to miss. And as a added bonus Ill get to bless both handgunner marksmen.

Screening the swordsmen with archers is appealing and a very likely path.

I was considering a unit of huntsmen after I saw the modell for the Kislevite ranger, she had huge knockers. And seemed like a fun model to paint.

/Grimhorn.

Bies21
02-04-2009, 13:52
Hi!

Thank you for the swift replies!

The reason behind the army list as it is right now is that this is the models i currently own.

As you have pointed out 8 knights is a strange number and I will go for nine so that I get a +1 CR from ranks when the warriorpriest is in the unit.
I will probably add a warbanner to the unit too.

An archlector with the greatswords sounds really nice, and Ill probably do that. Both stubborn and hatred is to good to miss. And as a added bonus Ill get to bless both handgunner marksmen.

Screening the swordsmen with archers is appealing and a very likely path.

I was considering a unit of huntsmen after I saw the modell for the Kislevite ranger, she had huge knockers. And seemed like a fun model to paint.

/Grimhorn.

An Archlector on War Altar sounds nicer ;)

Your list looks good actually really it's just minor things.

Laurels aren't much point on a GoTE as he won't get enough kills to make it worth it (usually with 3str4 attacks). I find at 188 points you put him on a horse with full plate, Enchanted shield, holy relic and sword of might. Lets him get a few kills with str5 and gives him a 0+ save and 4+ ward.

The FC are fine just don't counter-charge them against high save units. Instead use them to cover the flanks of the blocks from enemy flankers. If you decide not to use FC (use swordsmen by math-hammer) a good idea is putting them in a 3x3 formation so only 9 guys. Means you can keep your battle line more compact - important when most of your army is ld7 as the General will have more units in his sphere.

It also helps in diminishing potential attack backs.

Finally in a bid to save points figure out roughly where your characters are going and then drop models from those units. I.e. if your Gen is going in the Greatswords then drop 2 so gain 20pts. When your general is in the unit they'll be US20 anyway and US22 doesn't do anything (unless you want the rank casualties).

Finally Nilla knights are your friend! use them. Units of 5 knights with musician. These guys are great and work to bait the enemy and flank charge plus can handle small units alone. Try and find room for 2-3 of them in your army.

Ben