PDA

View Full Version : New Empire Player List (1000)

grumbaki
02-04-2009, 06:10
I've played dwarfs for along time, and now I'm going to give a shot at the Empire. I've put together a list with most of my models, but I'll include what else I've got to work with at the end of this army list. Please rate the list and give suggestions where possible.

* Warrior Priest: Von Horstman's Speculum, Heavy Armor, Enchanted Shield, Blade of Biting (144)
* 23 Swordsmen: Full Command (163)
* 8 Free Company: Musician, Sergeant (52)
* 10 Archers: Marksman (85)
* 22 Spearmen: Shields, Full Command (152)
* 8 Free Company: Musician (44)
* 10 Archers: Marksman (85)
* 10 Handgunners
* 5 Crossbowmen: Marksman (45)
* 5 Crossbowmen: Marksman (45)
* Great Cannon (100)
Total: 1000 points exactly

The other models that I've got:
5 Voland's Venators (can be used as knights)
2 more cannons
2 mages
any number of captains on foot
...dwarfs that can be used as DoW...

Keller
02-04-2009, 12:37
One important note: You can't take command options on your detachments.

Every else looks pretty good, but I think you may a bit too heavy in shooting, but that's just my taste. I would cut the archer detachments down to 7 or 8, and possibly remove some of the crossbowmen.

I've never been a fan of the Speclum. Anyone who plays against Empire expects it and won't bother. I find it to be a very worn-out ploy and never take it.

Since your are fresh off of dwarves, how about tossing in a Mage to finally have a magic phase? By reducing some shooting and the points freed up with the command options, you should be able to squeeze one in.

Bies21
02-04-2009, 13:44
dude... drop the archers or make them huntsmen (so 100 points for the 10 + any command options). However you'll find hiding 10 guys from your opponent is nigh on impossible.

Also one of the key strengths of the Empire list is it's relatively cheap and quite hard to kill CORE cavalry.

We term the unit Vanilla or nilla knights which is just 5 regular 23 point knights with musicians. These work a treat with baiting the enemy and getting flank charges.

in 2000 points you definetly want at least 3 units and in 1000 I'd take at least 1 if not 2 of such units. They only cost 123 points each as well.

Keller
02-04-2009, 15:20
dude... drop the archers or make them huntsmen (so 100 points for the 10 + any command options). However you'll find hiding 10 guys from your opponent is nigh on impossible.
Archers are very useful to the Empire, since they are skirmishers. I tend to favor Gunners or even Crossbowmen for the extra firepower myself, but I will not discount Archers. They are an incredibly versitile unit that can always do something for your army, easily adapting to whatever your next opponent might have in their list. Their ability to change roles is very helpful. I nearly always include some in high-point games, and they are becoming more common in lower points as well.

Also one of the key strengths of the Empire list is it's relatively cheap and quite hard to kill CORE cavalry.
[...]
in 2000 points you definetly want at least 3 units and in 1000 I'd take at least 1 if not 2 of such units. They only cost 123 points each as well.
Empire Cavalry is very cost effective, but they are still little more than a tool. You have to blend them into the rest of the army for them to be effective, not just take them for the sake of having them. Personally, I almost never take any knights; I just don't like them. My tactics and army work wonderfully well without them.

Bies21
02-04-2009, 15:42
Keller out of curiosity can I see your army list?

Archers have their place yes, usually as a screen. A single unit standing around isn't much help to anyone.

Every unit is but a tool. Empire Knights are one of the most versatile units in the game. They can survive a hell of a lot of shooting and combat against mid-range str (4-6) due to their save, they rally on ld9 with a musician so make perfect work for baiting/charge re-direct and a single unit can make short work of small enemy units like shades, 10 man horror units, warmachines.

Two such units attacking (or 1 in the flank) can break many infantry units as well.

Keller
02-04-2009, 18:26
Keller out of curiosity can I see your army list?
I don't have a set list which I use; I draw a new one up every week based on what I feel like taking ot the games. Of course there are trends which I keep to.

Typically, it's: (2000 points)

General of the empire - FP, AHW
2 Battle Wizards - Beast/Light and Metal/Fire typically
Captain - FP, Halberd
common items: Ring of Volans (Fire Lore), Doom Fire Ring, Seal of Destruction, Rod of Power. Typically avg of 25 or 30 points/char.

25 Halberdiers 2/ FC, 10 Militia, 6 Archers
25 Swordsmen 2/ FC, 10 Militia, 6 Archers
25 spearmen 2/ FC, 10 Halberdiers, 6 Archers
2 x 10 Hand Gunners w/ Rep Handgun Marksman

24 Greatswordsmen w/ FC, 10 Militia, 6 Archers
2 Cannons/Mortars (Typically 2 mortars, though 1 and 1 is common enough)
6-8 Pistoliers

Tactics: Infantry regiments march up the board, under the cover of the mortars, used to take out harrassment units and soften up enemy regiments before combat. Handgunners deploy for board control (most people are reluctant to send units infront of their 12/24 shots, it seems) or to soften up enemy units. Archers are used as screens (marching w/ regiments, not shooting) if needed, or they break off for additional fire support.

Pistoliers are fairly new addition to my list. I used to run 3 warmachines instead, but it was too much against most armies to be effective. Some fast harassers prove to be very helpful, if I can keep them away from shooting. If I am struggling for points, Rep Hanguns and Archer Detachments are usually the first to go. The second Mage is also a bit new, beocming more firmy rooted in the army after 7th Ed. revisions to the Army Book. It used to be 1 Elector, 1 lvl 2, 1 WP, and an Engineer were my typical characters; I don't much care for the new Engineers not being able to take magic items, nor the fact that Rep Handguns are move-or-fire now.

grumbaki
02-04-2009, 18:33
Thanks for the replies! Here is my new list:

* Warrior Priest: Von Horstman's Speculum, Heavy Armor, Enchanted Shield, Blade of Biting (144)
I have a feeling that I might fight against chaos warriors, who have to challenge. Empire heroes seem a bit soft to me, so this seems like a great way to even the score. And even if they see it coming, if that means that they spend time trying to run hard characters around the unit, then I am alright with that as well.
* Lvl 2 Mage: Ring of Volans, Dispel Scroll (145)
Four power dice, two bound spell if you include the priest. I'm not an expert at magic, but at 1000 points this seems like it should be enough.
* 23 Swordsmen: Full Command (163)
- 8 Free Company (40)
- 5 Crossbowmen (40)
* 24 Spearmen: Shields, Full Command (164)
- 8 Free Company (40)
- 5 Handgunners (40)
* 5 Knights: Musician (123)
* Great Cannon (100)

Total: 999 Points

Any advice on how I can further improve this?

bob_the_small
02-04-2009, 19:23
What does Von Horstman's Speculum do?
This list seems sound and balanced.. What are your tactics?

grumbaki
02-04-2009, 21:44
The speculum allows you, in a duel, to switch your Weapon Skill, Strength, Toughness, Attacks and Initiative with your enemy. As a warrior priest is only WS4, Str4, T4, I4, A2, that is huge. There are even unit champions who have better stats.

My tactics are to have the speculum unit head right for the enemy's general while the other unit guards them against the other army's infantry. The cannon goes warmachine/knight/monster hunting, and the missile troops try to handle any fast cav. The mage I don't expect anything from (I'm a dwarf player at heart, why put your trust in magic?), so anything he does is just icing on the cake.

Bies21
03-04-2009, 02:32
Speculam is a great item.

Many place it on a wizard with Sword of Might or Biting Blade.

I personally place my on my Arch-Lector who has the Mace of Helsturm (replace all attacks with 1 str10 d6 wounds attack). This combo has killed Skulltaker, 2 greater deamons, a unit of grail knights, Orc Warboss and Wyvern, 3 Vampires and a host of other unit champions.

The list looks fine as is now.