PDA

View Full Version : Skink Army

slingersam
02-04-2009, 07:28
How effective would a pure skink army work with this edition, I know
people took a lot of them last edition, but was wondering would it still
be effective. I would take Kroxigors teradons, stegadons, skink priests
and skink chiefs, chameleons, razordens, and salamanders.

Stuffburger
02-04-2009, 07:53
As far as I know it would be viable. Skink skirmishers have gotten a little more expensive but +1 ld, kroxies got nerfed (is the general consensus), terradons are better, stegs are about the same but more abundant. Chameleons are almost practical with the point cut and core scouting skinks going away. Ranked skinks are practical in limited circumstances, as are ranked skinks with kroxies.

You'll be missing out on the cheaper, better saurus though, which are probably the new LM's greatest asset.

In short, go for it.

The Senate
02-04-2009, 08:06
This is what I am working on now. Similarly to Goblin exclusive forces you get access to all the support stuff but obviously skinks are not as cheap as Goblins. I don't think anybody does this kind of thing unless they are one of those gamers that honestly likes the idea and concept of a army regardless of its power be it formidable or sly.

In any case its easy to make your units cause fear because of kroxigors and be immune to it. The steg is very good and Tetto'Eko is very easy to make with some of its howdah parts (some eBay sellers sell separate bits from opened plastic kits). Lots of poisoned attacks and generally fast moving. You like skinks right? Go for it.

nosferatu1001
02-04-2009, 08:24
Definitely viable, with skink chief for ld bubble (and war spear, just for possibility of 13 S6 impact hits!) and possibly a skink chief bsb on mount, probably wizards are stupid banner OR -1 to shoot at - or maybe the shield that reflects magic missiles.

You've got a good amount of fear / terror causers, couple units of cscouting chameleons etc. go for it!

W0lf
02-04-2009, 09:52
I really want to trya skink army too. Perhaps when im finished with my VCs i will do them ^^.

T2 really puts me off on 5 pt ranked mdoels. If they were T3 id jump straight in. Ranked skinks make Night gobbos with nets look like chaos knights.

StarFyre
02-04-2009, 11:08
Well a skink/krox/steg army was able to beat that kairos heavy magic army in a tournament which most people seem to have issues with so it can't be THAT bad :D

(yes, some armies can deal with the heavy magic spam very easily...others can't...but i've heard of very few armies that can beat it consistently)

Sanjay

dwarfhold13
02-04-2009, 17:05
i've thought about this too.. i would think you should bring a couple of BIG all skink blocks just for combat res.. but also remember that steggies are stubborn too.. being able to back up a swarm-ish army with a good amount of terror is a big thing... krox aren't so bad still being S6.. use them in small units for flanking and a couple units of terradons.. i think it would be a fun army to play if it didn't become a steg heavy army
Jon

slingersam
02-04-2009, 17:57
It would seem like a good idea thats why I was wondering how well they did
also I'm obsessed with the
skink chief model

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat40018&prodId=prod820850&rootCatGameStyle=

dwarfhold13
02-04-2009, 21:12
i think in the skink list i would leave chiefs out of it.. bring 2 level 2 wiz. and another lev. 2 on an engine
take attention away from that steg and go with either 2 special stegs or 1 spec and 1 rare..
couple units of skirmishers, a unit of flyers.. salamanders for flaming stuff that causes panic and just adding to the shooting and then just fill out the rest with blocks of skinks and maybe 1 or two of those little flanker units of 11 skinks and a krox..
if that doesn't suit you.. then leave those out and make some 6 wide units of skroxigor and protect your flanks with the monsters...
i think it would be a tough list to play with personally, just because the chances of you staying around in combat is slim when compared to other units in this game.. but then again.. the more poisoned attacks you have the better your chances of just whittling down stuff is
Jon

W0lf
02-04-2009, 22:07
My 2K skink list;

Skink chief - general
Warspear
Ancient stegadon

Skink chief
BSB, Warbanner, shield, Great weapon, Light armour

2x skink priest on engines
1 with cube
1 with scroll+diadam

3x 10 skimished skinks
2x 16 cohorts w/ 2 krox

1994 pts.

What do you think? Could it work?

slingersam
03-04-2009, 00:28
Also remember skaven pelt banner, adding in that extra
attack should help a lot.

Kai Itzah
03-04-2009, 00:56
DEFINITELY. The majority of the best units are Skink units. Sure you won't be running a Lord, but I think a Level 3 EotG and a Spear Steg of Doom would solve that problem. If I didn't love my Slann (despite the debatable nerf) so much, and I didn't want to run at least 2 units of core saurus for fluff reasons I'd definitely put this kind of army on the table. In fact, I'm pretty sure that below two thousand points it is all Skinks. I'd have to check though. There are so many awesome Skink character builds it isn't even funny.

Shamfrit
03-04-2009, 01:13
Do not fight with Skinks. Ever. They play like a horde version of Wood Elves, mass shooting, very quick speed and movement, ability to hide in water and swathe themselves through terrain, and hit and run/lightning attacks are all part of the Skink's foray.

Of course, 3 stegadons helps, but with the cheapness of the units and the fact 200 points fo Skinks can effectively bait and avoid a Bloodthirster and take it down makes for a fairly off sub-list but one that can work very effectively.

theunwantedbeing
03-04-2009, 01:20
Not wanting to take ranked skink unit's eh?
Pah...not a skink army if you don't take ranked skinks.

Toughness 2 a problem?
You can march 12" a turn....thats the huge advantage of them.

slingersam
03-04-2009, 01:26
Not wanting to take ranked skink unit's eh?
Pah...not a skink army if you don't take ranked skinks.

Toughness 2 a problem?
You can march 12" a turn....thats the huge advantage of them.

he's taking 2 blocks of skink cohorts.