1 Easterling Captain

3 Corsair Arbelasters- 75
Crossbows; Hand Weapons; Pavisse Shields

3 Watcher Warband- 120
Bows

4 Khandish Mercenary Raiders- 100

1 Khandish Charioteer- 100 Pts

Total Army Cost: 1000

This is a version of the 1k pt list I am currently playing which has dalamyr + company of khandish riders swapped for the ringwraith. However, even 1 ringwraith has dominated with magic in my games so far. So I figured why not experiment and take another.

Basically the pikes line up with maximum frontage on one flank to deny cavalry that side of the board. The arbalesters are deployed in or close to defensible terrain or on a hill in the center for a wide firing arc. Easterling swordsman take up the opposite flank to the pikemen. Raiders and chariot deploy either on a far flank or behind the swordsmen, and the watchers ambush. However I pick the best piece of terrain I feel will be within 18 inches of my formations on the start of turn 2 to place them in. Depending on the composition of my opponents army, the shadow lord and khamul are deployed into the units most vulnerable to missile fire.

The general aim is to use magic to control my opponent. Force him to use his might up early. Stop him from getting a powerful charge against my units, damage him, etc.

Khamul and the Shadow lord also severely hamper the effectiveness of my opponents shooting. Therefore if he cant shoot and I can cast on all day and advance to better positions/objectives he will be forced to come at me, exactly how I want it

Thoughts?

Nilhouse
02-04-2009, 14:31
Interesting list, but I think you might be overestimating shooting in WotR, especially in your list. You only have two shooting formations of average capability. 24 strength 1 shots against a defense 4 or 5 unit will net you, on average, 4 dead infantry models (no real effect) or 1 dead cavalry formation, which will get you a D3" respite.

Keep in mind that a cavalry formation can easily move, charge, and attack a formation 17-22 inches away in a single turn, even more with might. A fairly cheap 6 strong Rohan formation can easily average 21.5 inches of threat. That is almost the entire range of bows, so you are getting at best one or two turns of shooting.

Of course you have your Ringwraiths with some magic punch to slow them down, and hopefully a few casualties will push them back, but I think the addition of a Troll would really help against cavalry. They can sit in front of a vulnerable unit, even a shooting unit, and really have almost no affect on the back unit's ability to charge or shoot.

Overall I like the list a lot, but with all that access to nasty monsters I almost feel like the Evil armies need them. They have high courage, are tough to kill, and they counteract all that high defense the good guys have. Trolls will slaughter that same Rohan formation I mentioned earlier.

Reiksguard
02-04-2009, 16:12
Well he can field chariots for monsters; no need to break his sweet ass theme just to beat up on some horselords =)

dtjunkie19
02-04-2009, 16:41
Interesting list, but I think you might be overestimating shooting in WotR, especially in your list. You only have two shooting formations of average capability. 24 strength 1 shots against a defense 4 or 5 unit will net you, on average, 4 dead infantry models (no real effect) or 1 dead cavalry formation, which will get you a D3" respite.

Keep in mind that a cavalry formation can easily move, charge, and attack a formation 17-22 inches away in a single turn, even more with might. A fairly cheap 6 strong Rohan formation can easily average 21.5 inches of threat. That is almost the entire range of bows, so you are getting at best one or two turns of shooting.

Of course you have your Ringwraiths with some magic punch to slow them down, and hopefully a few casualties will push them back, but I think the addition of a Troll would really help against cavalry. They can sit in front of a vulnerable unit, even a shooting unit, and really have almost no affect on the back unit's ability to charge or shoot.

Overall I like the list a lot, but with all that access to nasty monsters I almost feel like the Evil armies need them. They have high courage, are tough to kill, and they counteract all that high defense the good guys have. Trolls will slaughter that same Rohan formation I mentioned earlier.

Well my watchers are ambushers, they dont deploy until I want them to. And then they will be in defensible terrain. And there is a very good chance they will be in half range against one or two units at the least. You are also underestimating the arbelasters they are strength 4 not strength 2 and any charging formation that tries to hit me will be faced with a possible 27 strength 4 shots the next turn.

And my chariot would have a similar effect that a troll would on that
formation, and it allows me to stay within my theme.

Lets also not forget my ringwraiths cause terror and can make my units cause terror as well. Yes that rohan formation can try to charge me, but where will it? My watchers wont be on the board, my chariot and cavalry out of range, my arbelasters will be shielded by my pike and swordsmen units, my pikes...well I'd be quite happy if my pikes are charged. So really the only target he has is my swordsmen. However at defense 7 causing terror they will be a hard unit to break. In addition any charging unit will be subjected to multiple spells. For example I can pall of night that charging rohan formation twice before it can hit my lines. If he has a hero/captain he can try to resist but he will be out of might even if he succeeds on both dispels and I probably will at least remain focused with one caster and cast more spells.

Lastly assuming he does charge my swordsmen, I can call an heroic duel (assuming his hero tried to resist my spells and was successful, but would be out of might) and epic strike with my ringwraith. I would then be fighting at FV 10 +1 for initiating the duel. My captain will almost always win and has another might point to modify my roll even further. The hero and his unit would probably take high casualties, and before they strike too.

However I do have to get a game vs rohan going now. I think its better to give rohan priority with my list so that way I can react to his charges better

Nilhouse
02-04-2009, 17:38
Wow, I completly forgot that Arbalesters have crossbows, that does change a lot.

Letting Rohan go first is a good move, their fast cavalry will put them within easy shooting range each turn. Rohan has serious trouble dealing with Monsters from what I can tell, but if you don't plan on ever fighting them then it is not a big deal!

I think Ringwraiths are one of the best deals in the game for what they are capable of doing, especially if you compare them to shaman.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
02-04-2009, 20:26
Well he can field chariots for monsters; no need to break his sweet ass theme just to beat up on some horselords =)

LMFAO :D Thats funny.

dtjunkie19
03-04-2009, 09:25
I also would like to try this list at one point, less shooting and more blocks of infantry. Plus a ninja troll!

1000 Pts - The Fallen Realms Army - "The Fallen King"

1 Ringwraith [Khamūl the Easterling]- 125

4 Easterling Cohort @ 200 Pts
Hand Weapons; Heavy armour; Shields
1 Easterling Captain

4 Easterling Cohort @ 200 Pts
Hand Weapons; Heavy armour; Shields
1 Easterling Captain

5 Easterling Cohort- 155 Pts
Hand Weapons; Heavy armour; Pikes; Shields
1 Easterling Captain

3 Corsair Arbelasters- 75
Crossbows; Hand Weapons; Pavisse Shields

1 Khandish Charioteer- 100

Allies:

1 Buhrdūr - 125

Total Army Cost: 990

Nilhouse
03-04-2009, 13:42
I'm in awe of how inexpensive (points wise only) those Arebelesters are.