PDA

View Full Version : german translation help

Johnmclane
02-04-2009, 09:54
I'm going to theme my ig army loosely around the german defence of sheelow heights in the end of ww2, being a thrown-together decimated force of desperate battleworn soldiers, with lots of conscripts, penal troopers etc.

So I need some translations of wh40k imperial slogans into german for my tanks banners etc (and absolutly no political quotes from that period!).

Some I've been thinking of:

Drown them in your blood (for my chimeras, that's from the graphic novel preacher btw)

By the Emperors guiding light, May the Emperor have mercy upon you, for we will not, He who allows the alien to live, shares the crime of its existence, To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor, We die standing, Stand fast! And die like Guardsmen!, Heretics crave the cleaning fire of absolution

And just again pointing out, there's no politics in this army, just got inspired by a documentary :)

qUOTIFON
02-04-2009, 10:23
Drown them in your blood
Ertränkt sie in eurem Blut.

By the Emperors guiding light
Beim heiligen Licht des Imperators.
means holy light, but sounds better in German than the literal translation of "guiding light"

May the Emperor have mercy upon you, for we will not
Möge der Imperator euch gnädig sein, denn wir werden es nicht.

He who allows the alien to live, shares the crime of its existence
Jener, der dem Xenos erlaubt zu leben, teilt das Verbrechen seiner Existenz.
there is no German word for "alien" (only for "extraterrestial" or the english loan-word), hence the use of Xenos

To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor
Die Niederlage anzuerkennen ist Blasphemie gegenüber dem Imperator.

We die standing, Stand fast!
Wir sterben stehend, bleibt standhaft!

die like Guardsmen!
Sterbt wie Soldaten!
means "die like soldiers", a more correct translation would be "Gardisten" but in the German translation of WH40kthis word is already used for the Stormtroopers (and the "Imperial Guard" is named "Imperial Army").

Heretics crave the cleaning fire of absolution
Ketzer begehren das reinigende Feuer der Absolution.

Hope this helps.

Darnok
02-04-2009, 10:35
Drown them in your blood

Ertränkt sie in eurem Blut!

By the Emperors guiding light, May the Emperor have mercy upon you, for we will not, He who allows the alien to live, shares the crime of its existence, To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor, We die standing, Stand fast! And die like Guardsmen!, Heretics crave the cleaning fire of absolution

Durch die erleuchtete Führung des Imperators, möge Er (=der Imperator... depends on how you want to quite this, two times "Imperator" in short order is not good) eurer Seelen gnädig sein, denn wir werden es nicht. Er, der dem Alien zu leben erlaubt, ist mitschuld am Verbrechen seiner Existenz. Sich zu ergeben ist Blasphemie gegen den Imperator. Wir sterben stehend. Haltet aus! Und sterbt wie Soldaten! Ketzer sehnen sich nach dem reinigenden Feuer der Absolution.

And have a look at this site, with lots of "thoughts of the day" in German. Bablefish them for their rough meaning, and check them against their english counterpart. Or if there are some of which you like the "look" and/or "sound", ask for a specific translation.

I'll let the Germans of WarSeer hunt down this thread in no time. :D

Edit: Interesting to see the different interpretations of how to seperate the lines given without seperations inbetween. Yes, they can be read in different combinations, giving slightly different meanings. Funny things, this speech...

Bregalad
02-04-2009, 10:38
Drown them in your blood = "Ertränkt sie in Eurem Blut."
(Drown them in their blood= "Ertränkt sie in ihrem Blut")
By the Emperors guiding light, May the Emperor have mercy upon you, for we will not = "Beim Lichte des Imperators, möge der Imperator Gnade mit Euch haben, denn wir haben es nicht."
He who allows the alien to live, shares the crime of its existence = "Wer die Aliens (Ausserirdischen) leben lässt, wird ihr Schicksal teilen." (actually: He who lets the aliens live, will share their destiny)
To admit defeat is to blaspheme against the Emperor = "Niederlagen sind Verrat am Imperator" (Actually: Defeats are treason to the Emperor)
Stand fast! And die like Guardsmen!= "Haltet die Stellung! Und sterbt wie Gardisten"

Johnmclane
02-04-2009, 10:39
This is great :) Thanks a lot guys!

Axel
02-04-2009, 14:10
Perhaps instead of translating English slogans to German, you could look for German slogans and propaganda that were used at the end of WW2 (or previously). These usually work better in reduction then complicated sentences that are made from short english terms.

"Bis zum Sieg"
"Der Imperator haut uns raus"
"Kein Schritt zurück"

Bregalad
02-04-2009, 18:52
BTW, use old German Letters (Fraktur http://www.kostenlose-fonts.de/fonts/plakatfraktur.html ) which give the right optical effect (and hide wrong translations ;))
Second the idea to rather use German slogans than German translations of Englisg slogans.
But we would need more examples of what you really want, as "Drown them in YOUR blood" and other things are confusing.

Marshal Sinclair
02-04-2009, 19:06
"Drown them in your blood", whilst confusing (really?) is very "Imperial Army".

madprophet
02-04-2009, 21:51
go to freetranslation.com, you can translate any text from English to German (or French, Italian, or Spanish). It's a little clunky but its a good place to start.

Also, check out WWI and WW2 German propaganda posters. Ignore the ones dealing with the Nazi party specifically (or those about 'racial purity') and focus on the ones designed to keep up support for the war effort. They have the feel you are looking for.

Here are a few to get you started
Wir stehen fur ehre und Kaiser
(we stand for honor and Emperor)

Treue um Treue
(Be loyal to Him who is loyal)

Wir stehen zum Kaiser
(we stand with the Emperor)

Durch Wehrwillen zer wehkraft
(from martial will to martial strength)

Kaiser wir folgen Dir!
(Emperor we follow You!)

In den staub mit allen freinden Kaiser!
(Smash the enemies of the Emperor!)

Sieg ist mit uns
(Victory is with us)

Wir kampfen fur den sieg
(we fight for the victory)

Sieg un jeden preis
(victory at any price)

Dem Kaiser die Treue
(To the Emperor be true)

Das Kaiser ist der seig
(The Emperor is victory)

Sieg oder wismus
(Victory or Chaos)

In den staub mit wismus
(Smash Chaos)

Darnok
02-04-2009, 22:12
go to freetranslation.com, you can translate any text from English to German (or French, Italian, or Spanish). It's a little clunky but its a good place to start.

Also, check out WWI and WW2 German propaganda posters. Ignore the ones dealing with the Nazi party specifically (or those about 'racial purity') and focus on the ones designed to keep up support for the war effort. They have the feel you are looking for.

Here are a few to get you started

Wir stehen zu Ehre und Imperator
(we stand for honor and Emperor)

Treue um Treue
(Be loyal to Him who is loyal)

Wir stehen zum Imperator
(we stand with the Emperor)

Durch Wehrwillen zur Wehrkraft
(from martial will to martial strength) => makes no real sense in German...

Imperator wir folgen Dir!
(Emperor we follow You!)

In den Staub mit allen Feinden des Imperators!
(Smash the enemies of the Emperor!)

Der Sieg ist mit uns.
(Victory is with us)

Wir kämpfen für den Sieg!
(we fight for the victory)

Sieg um jeden Preis.
(victory at any price)

Dem Imperator die Treue.
(To the Emperor be true)

Der Imperator ist der Sieg.
(The Emperor is victory)

Sieg oder Chaos
(Victory or Chaos)

[don't use this one, just don't]
(Smash Chaos)

Errors fixed, some of them major ones, some minor ones. It really is "Imperator" in Germany. "Kaiser" is the historical figure wearing a crown. And I have no clue what "wismus" was supposed to mean. Don't trust translation machines, ever!

Niibl
02-04-2009, 22:53
And I have no clue what "wismus" was supposed to mean.
I think he forgot the "Bolsche" vom Bolschewismus (bolschewism).
That's why he translated it with chaos :)

Well, Wismus doesn't sound that bad.
Maybe it could make a good tank name?

madprophet
03-04-2009, 00:37
Thanks for the correction, I have 1 year of HS German (and that was many moons ago). I don't speak German - Yiddish yes, German no. I simply pulled these off some old propaganda posters I have on CD for inspiration purposes.

I usually use English, Hebrew, or Russian slogans - languages I actually DO speak.

sigur
03-04-2009, 01:03
I simply pulled these off some old propaganda posters I have on CD for inspiration purposes.

Yeah, well, the whole thing was basically done with the first guy's reply. Anyway, I would be very cautious with quoting german WW2 posters and at copying their style. Actually, the quote "Der Imperator haut uns raus" sounds very cute.

Apart from that, qUOTIFON answered all your questions correctly and that's it.

Ultimate Life Form
03-04-2009, 04:36
Die Niederlage anzuerkennen ist Blasphemie gegenüber dem Imperator.

Not really wrong, but not really right, either. Personally I´d suggest

"Die Niederlage anzuerkennen ist Blasphemie gegen den Imperator"

Its shorter, sounds better, and is "righter" in my eyes (no offense).