PDA

View Full Version : Tau XV8 coimmander - bitz in box?

Warboss Doink
02-04-2009, 11:05
I'm thinking of getting a Tau army and I'm looking into which boxes I have to buy for my list.

One thing I can't really 'know' is if I need the XV8 commander box to make my Shas'o/Shas'el.

- Is the commander a 'different' model than the normal XV8 models?
- Are there any special parts in the box besides the 'special' guns?

DarthSte
02-04-2009, 11:19
It's a while since I got one, but if I recall correctly, there are 2 different heads, 2 new gun types and a couple of shoulder mounted wargear things...
But the normal XV8 is included and is the basis of the whole thing.

Warboss Doink
02-04-2009, 14:12
Are these shoulders/heads special stuff, which makes the model actually become a commander in 'looks' or are these simply gear options?

Born Again
02-04-2009, 14:15
They're gear options representing the Special Issue wargear. If you're not kitting your commander out with any of them, the regular XV8 will do.

AfroCelt
02-04-2009, 14:17
Yes, a commander is simply a Crisis suit with a different metal head. The commander box does however have the bits for the Cyclic Ion Blaster, Airborne Frag Projector, Command and Control Node, and another support system, all of which are special issue (1 per army).

The two heads share a lone pair of antennae, but I simply took the leftover head and converted it to be another commander. After fiddling with some magnets, 1 of my normal Crisis suits can receive a promotion. 2 HQs for the price of one...hard to beat.

Hlokk
02-04-2009, 15:14
To be honest mate, if your forking out that much for a tau commander, treat yourself to one of these:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/rmyr.htm

The Orange
02-04-2009, 17:54
The 2 heads can be considered "aesthetic" only. You could use them to represent your commander and/or his bodyguards, or you could associate them with specific wargear options such as the targeting array which has no bit currently, all the other bits are associated with some sort of wargear though IIRC.

TBH you don't need them for anything more then the special weapons, a normal XV-8 box can be used as your HQ and you can always try your hand at converting your own special wargear options, which can turn out much better then the originals. The Advanced Tau Tactica forum has some great conversions in it's modeling section. I highly suggest checking them out.

MajorWesJanson
02-04-2009, 18:26
Yes, a commander is simply a Crisis suit with a different metal head. The commander box does however have the bits for the Cyclic Ion Blaster, Airborne Frag Projector, Command and Control Node, and another support system, all of which are special issue (1 per army).

Last bit is the positional relay.

BigBadBull
02-04-2009, 18:45
Yeah the Fw models right now are almost as cheap as the regular Gw ones, ( at least states side) just some thing to consider.

The Fw models are an easy build (One of the easiest of all the Fw models )and are 100% better looking and a have joints so that you can pose them with out having to cut and green stuff/ putty.

If you buy enough of them , you will have enough left over bitz to build some normal XV 8's too. ;)