PDA

View Full Version : Shields in WotR - implications for SBG?

Odin
02-04-2009, 14:11
I haven't really had a chance to look at the WotR rulebook yet, but from what I have seen of the game (particularly from the Quickstart version of the rules released by GW), shields now add +2 to a model's Defence, rather than just +1.

This makes rather a lot of sense to me, and I wonder (and hope) it might transfer over to the SBG.

After all, at the moment, with the way the wound table is structured, shields are only of use against certain things.

An Orc's shield offers no additional protection against humans in close combat, as S3 will wound D4 and D5 models on the same roll of 5+. However, the Orc's shield does help protect against bowfire, as S2 attacks need a 6 to would D5 enemies, instead of a 5+ against D4.

For Warriors of Minas Tirith, it is the other way around. Their shield offers them no additional protection against S2 bowfire, but does make them harder to kill in combat.

This for me has always been the weakest link in an otherwise quality game. With WotR they seem to have recognised this problem, and the +2 defence is a surprisingly simple and effective solution. It means that warriors with shields now have additional protection against all attacks, but the to-wound roll is never affected by more than 1. It's perfect, and I hope the next version of the SBG will follow suit.

Any thoughts on this?

Rirekon
02-04-2009, 14:28
In WotR the bonuses from shields vary depending on the unit, some gain +2 others gain +1

takaetun
02-04-2009, 14:31
Its just cavalry though, isn't it? Cavalry get +1, infantry get +2.

Odin
02-04-2009, 14:43
Its just cavalry though, isn't it? Cavalry get +1, infantry get +2.

Really? I guess that might make sense - the Resilience 2 gives them additional protection as well.

jaws900
03-04-2009, 08:09
I don't know how the forward shields bizness will work in SBG without re wrighting the game to much.

Garoth
06-04-2009, 10:45
I agree with the previous poster that shield working only to the front and not to sides and rear is a crucial point in WOTR rules, and that is too hard to transfer to SBG, as circular circular bases in SBG means that there are no such things as front, sides and rear.