PDA

View Full Version : 2500pt Empire Cav Based

Bies21
02-04-2009, 14:29
This is my current army set up going for a tourney. Hope you all like.

Arch Lector - War Altar, Mace of Helsturm, Van Horstmans Speculam
Wizard- lv2, barded steed, Ring of Volans, Rod of Power
Wizard- lv2, barded steed, Doomfire Ring, Powerstone
Wizard- lv2, barded steed, 2xDispel Scrolls

4x5 units of Knights with musician
2x6 units of Knights with musician

3x Great Cannons

2x Steam Tanks

=2500 points.

Balthazaar
02-04-2009, 15:30
I dont like. 2 Stanks is just unsporting.

guess its a tourney army though and you will likely come up against beardy powergamers.

Bies21
02-04-2009, 15:38
I dont like. 2 Stanks is just unsporting.

guess its a tourney army though and you will likely come up against beardy powergamers.

Stanks can be taken out a myriad of opponents quite easily. They're not underpowered or weak by any standards but their are easy ways to get rid of them. Bolt Throwers are probably the most common however I've lost both by turn 2 against the compulsory (well compulsory at my gaming club) Bret hero with KB large targets.

It's when used with a Waltar it becomes a little unsporting.

gsmc
03-04-2009, 05:19
Why not take a 10 unit of knights (perhaps with magic banner) to create a centre for your other knights to work around, or do you lock the Stanks in combat and go for the side charge next turn?

What lores do you give the wizards that complements Stanks and knights? Or do you pick based on opponent's army?

Bies21
03-04-2009, 12:50
Why not take a 10 unit of knights (perhaps with magic banner) to create a centre for your other knights to work around, or do you lock the Stanks in combat and go for the side charge next turn?

What lores do you give the wizards that complements Stanks and knights? Or do you pick based on opponent's army?

A bit of both for my magic. I don't go for a hammer unit because I have actually tried it in the past (a single unit of 12 IC with FC and 2 units of IC with FC in different games). Neither list beat the sheer mobility and "nipping" factor of the MSU knights.

Magic I often find myself going fire because I have quite a strong magic phase and Fire offers the most offensive spells. That or Beasts but usually fire and Ring of Volans is always Fire.

I used this list today and massacred Deamons in 3 turns and beat a 19 Beastmen chariot list in 5.

Keller
03-04-2009, 15:06
I used this list today and massacred Deamons in 3 turns and beat a 19 Beastmen chariot list in 5.
With 5 cannons, I would think you'd do it in fewer.

The list looks ok, and obviously works for you. I guess I don't have much to add.

Bies21
03-04-2009, 15:10
With 5 cannons, I would think you'd do it in fewer.

The list looks ok, and obviously works for you. I guess I don't have much to add.

I pretty much took out 4 every shooting phase- give or take due to misfires. In turn 3 I failed to wound with 3 out of the 4 cannons shooting.

Thankfully when the chariots did get into combat the 3+ save meant those impact hits were mostly wasted (killing 2-3 guys rather then 5-6).

gsmc
05-04-2009, 15:43
How effective would it be without the steam tanks, but more knights and artillery?

Bies21
05-04-2009, 17:00
How effective would it be without the steam tanks, but more knights and artillery?

I tried an AL, 3WP and the rest of the army as nillas. It didn't work out as the knights just don't have the hitting power.

The stanks form the real combat element in the list.

Check out my two battle reports to get an idea of how the list works (it's in the reports section).