PDA

View Full Version : Assault Marines as Death Company?

Mercer
02-04-2009, 16:01
So I'm thinking of changing my Ultramarines back to Blood Angels, however I don't want to use the blood angels codex as theres a few things I'm not happy with (i.e cost points) and want some of the shiny new toys.

So I was thinking of having a assault squad (probably without packs) in a rhino but paint them black and have them count as death co - I know wouldn't have rending or fearless like in the blood angel codex, but thats how it is.

You think people would be cool with that? After all they black painted assault marines.

Deetwo
02-04-2009, 16:04
Should be fine assuming you tell them you are using the vanilla SM codex and they are normal assault marines.

As long as it's perfectly clear what unit is what, "counts as" is rarely a problem.

Mercer
02-04-2009, 16:06
Yup normal codex normal assault marines. Just painted black thats all to give a more blood angels feel.

Mozzamanx
02-04-2009, 16:07
If you're using Codex: Marines, I'd recommend running them as Vanguard. They're certainly dangerous enough to warrant it.

LordofWar1986
02-04-2009, 16:08
If you where to ask me if you could use the vanilla SM codex instead of the BA codex, I would say "Yes, please do!"

I have yet to see the reg BA players at my LGS to use the SM codex....they seem too full of pride to use the good alternative ;)

Bunnahabhain
02-04-2009, 16:36
Sounds fine. They're clear as to what they are.

They better be lead by a Chaplin though. They really can't be death company without a chaplin.

Mercer
02-04-2009, 17:16
Vanguard are too expensive and they would be lead by a chaplain, so only 9 of them because they will be going in a rhino.

The Orange
02-04-2009, 17:56
Yup, it's perfectly legal and I'd have no problem against playing such an army.

SPYDER68
02-04-2009, 18:01
So I'm thinking of changing my Ultramarines back to Blood Angels, however I don't want to use the blood angels codex as theres a few things I'm not happy with (i.e cost points) and want some of the shiny new toys.

So I was thinking of having a assault squad (probably without packs) in a rhino but paint them black and have them count as death co - I know wouldn't have rending or fearless like in the blood angel codex, but thats how it is.

You think people would be cool with that? After all they black painted assault marines.

There is no restictions anywhere saying you haft to match codex with paint scheme.. If you wanted.. you can run Dark Angels paint scheme.. with blood angels rules..

The only thing is you gota have is wysiwig and tell your opponet what codex your using..

Instead of calling them Death Company during the game.. Call them bye what they really are.. Assault marines... or vanguard or w/e they are. It avoids confusion.

captainramoz
02-04-2009, 18:22
Use them as vanguards they'll be more useful that way.
Still ba codex has some seriously important advantage over generic marines if u use their dex

Mercer
02-04-2009, 19:46
Not much advantage and vanguard are too expensive. Will compare though.

LonelyPath
02-04-2009, 21:12
Sounds like a okay idea to me. Though I would run the Black Company was Vanguard, BC are to nasty to be basic assault marines.

boogle
02-04-2009, 21:19
As long as you are clear what they are, there is no reason for you not to do this.

Hamarpain
02-04-2009, 21:34
And maybe have Korshan Khan give them furious charge. Could be closer to DC.

SPYDER68
02-04-2009, 21:41
And maybe have Korshan Khan give them furious charge. Could be closer to DC.

I would almost go with Shrike for fleet, to make up the loss of overcharged engines.

boogle
02-04-2009, 21:51
Here's a thought, you could use honor guard to represent them, all with Power Weapons, and attach a Chaplain to them

Pacific
03-04-2009, 00:26
Sounds like a okay idea to me. Though I would run the Black Company was Vanguard, BC are to nasty to be basic assault marines.

Agreed, just having normal assault marines charging in is going to be an anticlimax, especially for anyone who has had a squad of death company charge into their squads previously and is fearing the worst.

captainramoz
03-04-2009, 02:52
Not much advantage and vanguard are too expensive. Will compare though.

Assault squads as troops isn't that and advantage
A bunch of special caracthers and a point free unit isn't that an advantage if it isn't then i or you don't know the meaning of advantage

Kalec
03-04-2009, 03:48
If you are sticking them in a rhino, I would go with vanguard. The price difference isn't too big, and they get a huge boost in offensive power.

Warforger
03-04-2009, 05:51
If you where to ask me if you could use the vanilla SM codex instead of the BA codex, I would say "Yes, please do!"

I have yet to see the reg BA players at my LGS to use the SM codex....they seem too full of pride to use the good alternative ;)

Urr not really Pride, SM are boring and a assault list doesn't play as good as a BA list. It isn't actually proven BA are inferior :P

Just paint them black and red and call them DC and anyone will believe you unless there insane.

pookie
03-04-2009, 11:50
Vanguard are too expensive and they would be lead by a chaplain, so only 9 of them because they will be going in a rhino.

only if you equip them with Jump Packs, sinc eyou are not then they actually work out fairly well costed compaired to Assault Marines, imo its only when you give them a JP that they become too expensive, they have much better options too, the extra attack is worth the slight increase in points if you ask me.

Wook
03-04-2009, 19:40
There is nothing wrong with the Blood Angle list if you are doing Blood Angles then you should use it! To take an army that has itís own rules and to use another set because you think they are better is very cheesy.

Treadhead_1st
03-04-2009, 23:12
There is nothing wrong with the Blood Angle list if you are doing Blood Angles then you should use it! To take an army that has itís own rules and to use another set because you think they are better is very cheesy.

Are they acute or obtuse?

Anyway, I'd have no problem with that. I was tempted to do similar with Flesh Tearers, based on the old WD army when they were doing IA rule-sets (before realising I could take 2x Thunder Hammers on a Captain, and sticking with my Salamanders).

Not that there's much wrong with the BA rules IMO, but I know some folks aren't too happy about them, and so long as the owning player doesn't "forget" they are just regular Assault Marines, I don't see the issue.

Warforger
04-04-2009, 00:10

Angels, this is not math (unless your building an army list..)

A1TEC
04-04-2009, 00:34
Vanguard are expensive but they are well worth it, add a chaplain and they will own.

captainramoz
04-04-2009, 02:21
Vanguards are the ultimate assault infantry power weapons for all of them ws4 2attacks can take combat or storm shields and can deepstrike an assault on the same turn.
They are more than worthed 250 points