PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer - No VP's, Just To The Death

Hunter Rose
02-04-2009, 17:10
Every game my gaming circle plays is to the death, down to the last unit. No VP's, no quarters. Unless we're using the multiplayer random objectives list, we're playing last man standing.

I was wondering how you guys in the community would play differently if you were playing using this method.

Currently we have O&G, VC, Wood Elf, Dwarfs, Beastmen, and MoC lurking about.

selone
02-04-2009, 17:15
this could really be abused by unbreakable armies.

Ultimate Life Form
02-04-2009, 17:17
Every game my gaming circle plays is to the death, down to the last unit. No VP's, no quarters. Unless we're using the multiplayer random objectives list, we're playing last man standing.

I was wondering how you guys in the community would play differently if you were playing using this method.

Currently we have O&G, VC, Wood Elf, Dwarfs, Beastmen, and MoC lurking about.

I wonder what you do when only a single Orc unit without missile weapons and one flyer are left...

Einholt
02-04-2009, 17:20
Yea I have to say my group started like this while learning the game and we realized quickly as our tactical knowledge improved that it does not work.

Bies21
02-04-2009, 17:22
We pretty much only ever play Pitched Battles so 6 turn limit.

IcedCrow
02-04-2009, 17:27
The game wasn't designed to the death. There are armies that would have a serious advantage in those style games.

Kulgur
02-04-2009, 17:27
Ladies and gentlemen, roll up roll up, biggest deathstar wins!

Cherrystone
02-04-2009, 17:49
We play a random game length that favours 6 turns with a small chance of 7 or 8 turns (a 2500pt battle).
I think playing to the death while at times can be fun takes away many of the tactics and finger biting last turns.

Modaavi
02-04-2009, 17:56
I don't think I would ever lose a game again with my VC if we played this way. Good luck taking out an entire army of unbreakable, resurrectable, new zombie unit generating vampires. There is a good reason for the turn limits and VP modifiers, not a good idea to mess with it.

Dokushin
02-04-2009, 18:36
Doesn't work. No reason not to take Standards, stalemate becomes likely, no pressure to close, no disadvantage for turtles, bound items become a lot more powerful, takes a lot of the tactics out of the game.

Now, don't get me wrong, in a few friendly games we've went ahead and played it out to last man standing, but we've always had a good idea of how VPs looked at end of turn 6, and that's what determines the game result.

W0lf
02-04-2009, 18:49
Playing to the death is silly. Ive done it a few times before and it heavily skews balance. For example chaos warriors are amazing and vampires cant lose.

Theres far more skill to 6 turn games, as a player in my GG once remarked (he likes to the death) 'Everything you do and every move you make is to maximise Victory points isnt it?'.. 'yes ofc'.. 'wow no wonder your such a calculated and ruthless winner lol'

Desert Rain
02-04-2009, 18:55
We used to play like that when we were starting out. But ever since we developed small tactical cunning we have never considered going back to it.

badgeraddict
02-04-2009, 19:22
I would not fancy playing to the death, that would drag on like there is no tomorrow.

6 turns is enough for me!

W0lf
02-04-2009, 19:24
It dosent have to drag.

Have you never won a game in say 4 turns?

I reckon 9 turns is the upper-most limit for to the death.

MSU
02-04-2009, 19:35
It dosent have to drag.

Heh, I've played a 4,000 pt battle and it took two days ... though, we did start 5 or so FEET away from each other and there was no turn limit and it was to the death. And we didnt use much cavalry ... or fliers ...

*yeah, we didnt really know the rules that well...

Now that is too much warhammer.

Lord Dan
02-04-2009, 19:44
Now that is too much warhammer.

THERE IS NEVER TOO MUCH WARHAMMER!!!! GAAAHHH!!!!

...no, but you're right.

Hunter Rose
02-04-2009, 20:15
I wonder what you do when only a single Orc unit without missile weapons and one flyer are left...

That stuff is one of the reasons my Orcs usually loose. That and untimely Animosity rolls.

Ultimate Life Form
02-04-2009, 20:39
That stuff is one of the reasons my Orcs usually loose. That and untimely Animosity rolls.

Great, I invite you to play against me, Im so utterly bad, even Orcs usually crush me.

Braad
02-04-2009, 20:44
When I started, I had just some orcs and gobbo's, my opponent had saurus and skinks, and the rules made skirmishers do double pace instead of normal march back then.

The first several turns were just a normal game, but it always ended in the same manner: skinks running around orcs until all orcs were dead.
Then we found out you were supposed to play 6 turns. Much more balanced.

WarlockOMork
02-04-2009, 20:46
we usualy tend to play a random set of turns 5-7 and its quite often been to the death in said time. (or very close to the death if the opponent admits the rest would lose if you'd continue the game)
Record standing at turn 2.

MSU
02-04-2009, 21:54
Everything dead by turn 2? Wow. Best I've done is gatewaying a vampire lord deathstar on turn 3 and watching everything crumble. Things still weren't all dead by turn 6. (Vargulf wouldn't die)

Tarliyn
02-04-2009, 22:23
my group plays no vps as well

we do have a turn limit though, which is normally 6 turns

The only time we do play with VPs is when new books come out and that is normally because people are curious as to how their new army faired...other than that we don't tally them up and try not to think about them

keeps games more casual and fun

now when I go to the local game store on the other hand they do use VPs there

Stuffburger
03-04-2009, 03:54
My games someone usually admits defeat or we agree on a draw after 5-7 turns.

Then again, super casual. If/when I get more competitive I'll be doing 6 turn VP games.

Lord Dan
03-04-2009, 05:17

we do have a turn limit though

Er...how do you know who wins at the end? :eyebrows:

kris.sherriff
03-04-2009, 13:27
Er...how do you know who wins at the end? :eyebrows:

Everybody wins as they had a fun game of Warhammer with friends.:)

Kris

WarlockOMork
03-04-2009, 13:34

we do have a turn limit though

er...how do you know who wins at the end? :eyebrows:

everybody wins as they had a fun game of warhammer with friends.:)

i seriously love this one, its so true. someone should sig it, to bad i dont have any more space :p

Keller
03-04-2009, 15:26
i seriously love this one, its so true. someone should sig it, to bad i dont have any more space :p
Done!

We rarely do Victory Points in our group, nor do we really keep track of turns. We play until we decide to call the game, then decide if its a victory or a draw. We just like to have fun!

In our campaigns, we have to do vic points, of course. I'd guess we play campaigns about half the time when we play warhammer; the rest of the games are just practice.

IcedCrow
03-04-2009, 15:34
I wish I was in your group. I love campaigns but most players around here are tournament-only. By the way where in PA are you at? I grew up near Erie.

badgeraddict
03-04-2009, 17:14
It dosent have to drag.

No I have not. I've lost many a game in 4 turns however.

Usually our games last around 4 hours as is, I really do not like the idea of a fight to the death in terms of time.

I did once take part in a 6000pts allied game which took all day! I managed to kill only a Chaos Spawn... Whilst immensely funny it did take far too long!

Keller
03-04-2009, 18:03
I wish I was in your group. I love campaigns but most players around here are tournament-only. By the way where in PA are you at? I grew up near Erie.

I'm very fortunate with my group. I have no real interest in tournement style lists, though the extra competition could be fun from time to time. Fortunately, we all just play to have fun (some are more competitive than others) since there aren't many players around here, so no other groups that I know of to go play with.

I live outside of Pittsburgh, about 45 minutes west in Greensburg.

No I have not. I've lost many a game in 4 turns however.

Usually our games last around 4 hours as is, I really do not like the idea of a fight to the death in terms of time.

I did once take part in a 6000pts allied game which took all day! I managed to kill only a Chaos Spawn... Whilst immensely funny it did take far too long!
Wow. We've played some large games, usually around 3 players per side with up to 3000 points per player. I think the largest army I've ever personally fielded was 4000 points. I couldn't imagine setting all that up and just killing 1 unit.

Our 3v3 games usually take about 3-4 hours, maybe a bit longer.

scarletsquig
03-04-2009, 18:13
I prefer to play 8-turn games, I honestly think it improves the game in terms of strategy. No more than that though.

It doesn't make the game drag on and on either, turns 7-8 go very quickly because there isn't much left on the table at that point.

I dunno, have you ever had a 6-turn game that was just starting to get really close and fun, but turn 6 comes along and stops the battle at a draw just as the decisive moments were coming up?

6 turns can really put a bummer on some games, if you're having fun it's best to ask your opponent if they're fine with playing an extra turn to have a real outcome to the battle instead.

IcedCrow
03-04-2009, 18:19
Do random scenario lengths.

Those are always fun.

At turn 6 roll and on a 4+ game continues.

Turn 7 game continues on a 5+

Turn 8 game continues on a 6+

Turn 9 game ends

The Red Scourge
03-04-2009, 18:26
I like the VP idea, it just adds to the game :)

badgeraddict
03-04-2009, 19:38
Wow. We've played some large games, usually around 3 players per side with up to 3000 points per player. I think the largest army I've ever personally fielded was 4000 points. I couldn't imagine setting all that up and just killing 1 unit.

Our 3v3 games usually take about 3-4 hours, maybe a bit longer.

It was 2 v 2 with 3000pts each. I must admit to fluffing alot (read: 99%) of my rolls.

I was playing Bretonnians, that spawn died to my only Lance charge. :eek:

So...yeah I will not be playing crazy large games like that again.