PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about my next army.

Captain Micha
02-04-2009, 18:01
So I'm thinking about what my next army is probably going to be. I'm interested in Dark Eldar, I really really like their fluff. I also like Harlequins and Inyaden a great deal though.

I like Grey Knights too, and I like serpentine Nids (as in fielding Ravenors, Lictors, Zoanthropes.)

This is more for collecting and modelling opportunity per say than actual fielding. But like everything I would play it.

I'm thinking if I go Dark Eldar, I'm buying Swooping Hawks instead of scourges, banshees or fantasy Wytches for Wythces (no way am I wasting cash on those hideous models!). There's some conversion opportunity here of course if I do this. Including Spike Removal of Dark Eldar Warriors... (seriously some of those spikes are as large as the heads!)

I love the Raider mini and the Talos looks awesome.

Now on the Eldar side of the equation... if I fielded anything but Inyaden... they'd be Dark Eldar...using Eldar rules. And I like Inyaden...alot.

Which is the better package rules wise? I'm thinking Eldar probably is. (My wraith lord could use a Talos mini? I don't know how big Talos is...)

I've never actually -seen- a Dark Eldar army before... I've seen a Battleforce. but not the army being played nor anyone buying them.

Now for the others... I love the Grey Knight minis. I wouldn't need very many of them cause Gks are pricey and I could always throw in some inducted Guard. They look like they'd be a challenge to paint well. Which would be nice... cause my next army that I get I am going to work on improving my painting skills with.

The Nids... I just love the Ravenor, Lictor, Zoanthrope minis. I like gaunts too (both kinds) and the Fex.. it would have some conversion ops but not as many as my Dark Eldar would... it'd be fun to paint I think though.

Sisters are just cool.

SPYDER68
02-04-2009, 18:03
Grey knights is a fun army, and you can expecially ally in guard for some anti tank.. or vanilla marines..

Storm bolter marines is nice..

last weekend here, at 1250 a pure grey knight army pulled out 1st place, so they arent that bad.

For modelling thou.. Eldar or dark eldar seem to have more options / opportunity

The Anarchist
02-04-2009, 18:04
If your willing to wait for an unknowen time period, including possible forever waiting for Dark Eldar should be well worth it. a brilliantly fluffed army and use to eb great fun to play with as well.

on the more short term Eldar are a good army atm, though might be worth waiting to see what the new Nids are like.

ColonelGreiss
02-04-2009, 18:27
If this is mostly for painting and conveting you cant go wrong with dark eldar. Raiders are awesome! And, by the time you've painted and converted them all up, maybe they'll have a pimp new codex you can use them with :D.

FraustyTheSnowman
02-04-2009, 18:43
Checkout Doghouse's dark eldar for insperation doing them. Basically, he cut the legs and made them longer, and extended the torso a hair too I believe. They look amazing. If memory serves his incubi have normal eldar heads, though as of the last time I checked them out they didn't have the gun on them yet (incubi have a splinter pistol integrated into their helmet which gives them an extra attack in close combat on top of their two handed power weapon).

My vote is dark eldar. It's my newest obsession, so it should be yours as well. Basic warriors are actually not bad at all, looks wise, as long as you can get something else for their heads. I'm probably going to be using dark elf infantry heads on mine. As for wyches, depends on what you want to go for. If half naked women running arround in thongs cutting peopels heads off is what you want (and who could blame you) I would maybe go for daemonette models instead, as dark elf wyches don't look much better than the 40k counterpart. Howling banchees are another possibility.

As for straight rules, the dark eldar trump everything. Once you get a handle on how to play them, they are better than anything else out there (not terribly good against horde orcs, but can put some massive hurt on nob bikers). I was originally thinking the same thing as you, using eldar rules, but then I got reading the codex and really started looking into them. Also, it's been a few years, but if memory serves the taloi is quite a bit smaller than a wraithlord. Base size might be about the same, as the wraithlord is mostly just TALL though.

I love sisters, and almost voted for them, but dark eldar need the love.

Everything else is just garbage. Not worth even looking at. You mentioned the two coolest armies in the game, so if you can't decide between them, flip a puppy or something, but don't stray.

Captain Micha
02-04-2009, 18:53
wow.. I thought DE got some new Wytch minis? Those look almost as bad...

I never thought of that... an actual use for the new Daemonette... hmmm.... Dark Eldar Wytches.... That's genius! (though the Juan Diaz Daemonettes would be more aesthetically pleasing :D)

I also like the Dire Avenger minis. (though they look a little plain)

monopeludo
02-04-2009, 19:56
Converting the stormbolter arm of a GKPA is really dificult (at least for me) because of the ammo feed going up to the backpack. But on the other hand they are beatifull models.
If you choose DE try to wait untill the next codex. The few picks I've seen of the new/test models where great.

tacoo
02-04-2009, 20:00
i would say go with the GK's. they look awsome, there a little harder to convert i think since i think most GK models are metal (not to sure though). and since guard are getting a new codex, that means they as a side result GK's with inducted guard should also get slightly better in gaming terms

Captain Micha
02-04-2009, 20:16
I will be buying GK minis at some point or another (right now I'm proxying them with Marines, as allies to my guard) just a matter of how many I buy. A GK with Ig allies support might be interesting to play.

SPYDER68
02-04-2009, 20:44
I will be buying GK minis at some point or another (right now I'm proxying them with Marines, as allies to my guard) just a matter of how many I buy. A GK with Ig allies support might be interesting to play.

Grey knight Grand master with a terminator retinue in a land raider backed up bye Leman russes with some deep striking base grey knights...

Sounds fun.

LonelyPath
02-04-2009, 21:07
My vote is for GK also, they're alot of fun to play and paint. They're not that difficult to paint either, but test out your painting on a basic marine first, it's not that different even with the extra details. GK also make a beautiful force to look at on the table and they play well. However, there is a bit of a learning curve to using them effectively, but it's not much different to other armies out there.

Converting them so they all dont look alike can be a issue, beyond weapon and/or head swaps they can case nightmares, but with some skill you can convert PAGK out of plastic vanilla marines (I have seen some pretty good conversions out there and some people used simple techniques to get them done).

Also, if you later want to mix things up, inducted Guard make up some numbers (plus a Russ, heh).

Nids and SoB are also great armies to sink your teeth into, but GK have been my favourites for 20 odd years now and that's not about to change.

boogle
02-04-2009, 21:21
As per normal my advice would be:

Do you want to paint a lot of models or not?

Which army suits your playing style best?

Skyrir
03-04-2009, 01:08
Eldar I guess are cool, but they can suck to actually play because they have no units that could, say, take a unit of tactical marines with reasonable casualties and then proceed to be useful for the remainder of the game.

Codsticker
03-04-2009, 01:30
I voted Eldar because that is going to be my next army (mech eldar specifically).

TheDarkDuke
03-04-2009, 02:20
I wanted to select both DE an Eldar for ya. As you clearly are doing this as more of a modeling/painting type thing, I am gonna assume tournies are not something you are even considering with this army. So why not make the core of the army from Eldar and Dark Eldar models which ever you prefer or DE warrior bodies with Guardian heads. Etc. You could probably quite easily get 1000-1250 points that you could use in both an Eldar and Dark Eldar list, and it allows you too only need to grab a couple of different unit like the Raider, or say Wraithlord.

Pretty much lets you get two playable armies and save a bunch of $$. Lets you do major or minor conversions, and you could make a dark scheme on units like swooping hawks. Maybe a Black with Gold trim and dark red/purple cloth areas for example. Would look very DE paint scheme wise when you wanted to play DE, but at the same time Eldar models when you want to play Eldar. The only issue you may have is representing say Dark Lances. However you could take the Eldar Ranger models and use them in a Warriors unit as a Dark Lance and when you wanted to play Eldar they can form a Ranger squad.

Aubec le noir
03-04-2009, 10:59
I Vote GK cause i play them and that's lots of fun painting, modelling and i love their history....well I'm a fan ! :D
Aubec :chrome:

Fixer
03-04-2009, 11:04
If you go for Dark Eldar convert some fantasy Witch Elves for Wyches.

So much better looking, and is has that one elf with the awesome 'come hither' pose.

laudarkul
03-04-2009, 11:13
If you like conversions I would say DE. I would also choose GK/SoB because I like them and me also I start those two army slowly. And I would wait for the new DE codex (if would be my first non-human army) to gather at least 1000 pts.

The_Outsider
03-04-2009, 11:30
Go DE, thats way your moaning will actually have some basis in reality.

Logarithm Udgaur
03-04-2009, 12:08
My vote went to Dark Eldar for the sole reason that they seem to be the only "evil" race that is evil because good is dumb.

The Orks, Necrons, and Tyranids are just programmed that way, the Chaos Space Marines had a rough childhood; the Dark Eldar loot, rape, and pillage for fun and profit.

Captain Micha
03-04-2009, 12:44
I have this...white and red paintscheme in mind for DE if I go them.... or red and white if I go them. Has anyone seen any light color schemed DE?

Logarithm Udgaur
03-04-2009, 13:08
There are a few on coolminiornot. The only Dark Eldar I have seen in realspace were painted black with red and green detailing (not that far from standard).