PDA

View Full Version : WoC Magic Tactica

MarcoPollo
02-04-2009, 21:28
After reading a good thread on the "chamber of the everchosen" (http://z4.invisionfree.com/cotec/index.php?showtopic=5232) site I think this would be a good topic here.

So what are some of the better magic combos out there. Not just for casting magic, but for other things like fighty mages etc...?

Witchblade
02-04-2009, 22:10
Book of secrets should ideally be given to a Tzeentchian sorcerer to benefit from the +1. The miscasts can be nasty though.

Don't forget about good old Festus. He guarantees Curse of the leper.

My campaign magic list is:
- L4 sorcerer of tzeentch on disc, word of agony, book of secrets (fire), golden eye of tzeentch, enchanted shield, power stone, spell familiar
- L2 sorcerer of nurgle on barded steed, infernal puppet
- L2 sorcerer of nurgle on barded steed, conjoined humunculus, power familiar, dispel scroll

The nurgle sorcerers are deployed in a marauder regiment in the center. They usually just spam buboes, unless they can get a leper curse or fleshy abundance off. The power house sorcerer lord is my general and usually march blocks between enemy lines, firing magic missiles at weak, hard to get troops, i.e. flyers, fast cavalry and scouts. He can occasionally support combat by killing a model with word of agony (blood curdling roar is an alternative). When the marauders get in combat, the sorcerer lord casts call to glory on them.

W0lf
02-04-2009, 22:15
Since i shamelessly stole the idea from Neknoh im finding a lvl 4 w/ Enchanted shield, puppet + Bloodskull pendant is working for me.

Hes got a 1+ (Hand weapon + e.shield) and puts out 3 S8 KB HITS which is > an exalted champion.

I mark him Tzeentch and put him in a small unit of chosen with blasted standard (MoT unit).

I then support it with 2x lvl 2 with MoN.

Im currently finding my lvl 2's are often run as;

Lvl 2
MoN, Power familiar, scroll

Lvl 2
MoN, Book of secrets, scroll.

works for me.

Oh and as for marks;

Lvl 4
MoT > MoS > MoN

Lvl 2
MoN > MoT > Mos

sulla
02-04-2009, 22:22
A trio of discriders/daemon prince spamming flickering fire with the skull of katam and the puppet on standby can give my guys some real problems. 3 flickering fires will wipe ut pretty much any DE unit on the board and it's virtually a guaranteed cast each time... good way to open the magic phase and burn through dispel before using your big spell.

So, that's Nurgle and tzeench crossed off. Too bad the No1 spell for slaanesh is such a dud, pretty much makes lvl1-2 slaaneshi sorc's a dud.

W0lf
02-04-2009, 22:56
yeah i dunno what they were thinking.

When i play chaos stopping my enemy from marching is probably the last thing i think of (unless its vs skimishers but then id rather kill them).

They should have given them the Daemon lore of slaanesh first spell. The all we'd see is MoS wizards with doom totem all over the show.

Witchblade
02-04-2009, 23:20
The fact that the lore of slaanesh is almost completely useless against undead and daemons makes the matter even worse. To get something good out of slaanesh, you need a L4 sorcerer. Against the two highest tier armies, your lord will then do nothing but spam ecstatic seizures.

Jericho
02-04-2009, 23:41
Don't forget Third Eye of Tzeentch on one of your support Sorcs. It can be extremely useful some times if that L2 doesn't roll anything good for himself. Especially useful on a guy with Power Familiar or Book of Secrets since he has the dice to back it up. High Elf spells are quite fun to steal, as are the Demon ones. Even Orcs can be interesting if you can steal a movement spell, or give a unit ASF/re-roll to hit :evilgrin:

My favorite L4 build:
MOT, Barded Steed, Sword of Might, Bronze Armor, Regen Crown, Spell Familiar
He's incredibly tough to kill against most opponents. 2+ save, 6++ ward and 4++ Regen. Combine with immunity to KB and poison, and he can now completely ignore many hero builds including DE assassins :D In theory his 5 spells should be useful as well... but I have a 3/10 track record getting Gateway when I randomize spells. Go figure.

Tae
03-04-2009, 10:18
Don't forget Third Eye of Tzeentch on one of your support Sorcs. It can be extremely useful some times if that L2 doesn't roll anything good for himself. Especially useful on a guy with Power Familiar or Book of Secrets since he has the dice to back it up. High Elf spells are quite fun to steal, as are the Demon ones. Even Orcs can be interesting if you can steal a movement spell, or give a unit ASF/re-roll to hit :evilgrin:

I tried that against my friend's Tzeentch DoC army. I tried to cast Glean magic in order to steal Tzeentch's firestorm. Alas it was dispelled, but I quite liked the idea of casting the Lord of Change's own spell to steal another one of his own spells to blow up half his own unit of horrors :D

MarcoPollo
03-04-2009, 17:02
For me, I don't run nurgle sorcerors. But I can see that spamming buboes can be a nasty thing to worry about.

Right now I run 3 hero sorcerors only getting of 5/6 mini spells a phase. This keeps my costs down so that I can run MSU style army.

They look like this:

Tzeetch Level 2 on disc: book of Secrets, and power familiar. I get two magic missiles. spells per turn from him. Plus a situational "kicker spell".
Tzeetch Level 1 on Disc: rod of torment. I get two magic missiles from him too.
Undivided Level 1: dispel scroll, warior familiar, on horse. He is my fighty hero. Just enough punch to take out most champions, and enough movement to get out of the way of stuff that I don't think he can handle.

Also, I usually have enough points to get the "roar" gift off on one of my flyboys. But with all the stuff going on, I usually forget about it. It has been so long since I had any shooting in the chaos army that I have a bad habbit of forgetting about it.

This comes in at just under 600 pts. Which is perfect for an MSU style army.

Sir_Prometheus
03-04-2009, 18:39
Demons Of Chaos Tzeentch, hands down.

In 2250, you can fit in a Lord of Change (two heads, and taking fire lore so he can use Sword of Rhuin when he wants to)

3 Heralds of Tzeentch, all with power vortex. Two of them I put on flying chriots, cuz that's mean.

A 40 strong squad of horrors

Two 20 man squads of horrors

I also put the Icon in the squads that 3d6 oStr 3 hits or what ever to units in base combat.

For those of you counting at home thats 23 power dice. You also have 3 fliers to disrupt shooting. Your horrors will kill most things that try to approach them, and the big block has a herald inside for a 4+ ward save.

Maetco
03-04-2009, 19:12
Demons Of Chaos Tzeentch, hands down.

In 2250, you can fit in a Lord of Change (two heads, and taking fire lore so he can use Sword of Rhuin when he wants to)

3 Heralds of Tzeentch, all with power vortex. Two of them I put on flying chriots, cuz that's mean.

A 40 strong squad of horrors

Two 20 man squads of horrors

I also put the Icon in the squads that 3d6 oStr 3 hits or what ever to units in base combat.

For those of you counting at home thats 23 power dice. You also have 3 fliers to disrupt shooting. Your horrors will kill most things that try to approach them, and the big block has a herald inside for a 4+ ward save.

This is WoC magic thread not DoC magic thread.

selone
04-04-2009, 00:15
I tried that against my friend's Tzeentch DoC army. I tried to cast Glean magic in order to steal Tzeentch's firestorm. Alas it was dispelled, but I quite liked the idea of casting the Lord of Change's own spell to steal another one of his own spells to blow up half his own unit of horrors :D

Can you glean magic spells that summon new unit's?

happy_doctor
04-04-2009, 01:24
Well, although noone accused Tzeentch magic of being unpredictable or the Call to Glory being the best spell around, I'll have to accept that there's room for improvement in the collective work that is the magic tactica. :D

What's missing in my opinion is clever bits of tactics that most people wouldn't think about. With so many veteran chaos players around, I'm sure you can manage something.

Anything you feel might be added to the relevant articles, pm me or post on the tactica thread!

Cheers

Skyth
04-04-2009, 17:23
I like my Sorce lord of Tzeentch...

level 4, Disc, Roar, Conjoined Homonculous, Rending Sword, Golden Eye, Rod of Torment.

Puts out a lot of magic missiles/ignore armor save hits that you can re-roll to wound.

Ultimo ninja
05-04-2009, 09:22
Pandemonium rocks....use it with doom totem and hellcannons and you can really mess up the enemies lines. Call to glory is awesome if you can pull it off:

Use it on a marauder, use him in c challenge, and cencel at ANY TIME! You can cancel it before the enemy char attacks and deny any victory points...muhauhauaha.
I intend to use this allot.