PDA

View Full Version : 2K vamps. How to improve?

W0lf
02-04-2009, 23:08
so here goes;

This will be my tournament list for 09+10 and is the end result of my love affair with vampire counts;

Vampire lord
Master, Raise Ghouls, Forbidden lore, lvl 3, Book, Crown, Helm of commandment

Vampire
Lvl 2, Raise Ghouls, Scroll, Periapt

Vampire
Lvl 2, Avatar of Death (GW), Flayed Haulberk, Talisman of Lycini

Wight King
BSB, Drakenhof, Great weapon

10 Ghouls - Lords bunker behind large unit
Ghast

15 Ghouls - 1 vamp here
Ghast

15 Ghouls - 1 vamp here
Ghast

19 Ghouls - Drakenhof
Ghast

5 Dire wolves

5 Dire wolves

Vargulf

Vargulf

1994 pts.

11 casting
6 dispel + scroll -> will use peripat for 12 PD, 5DD.

Whatcha think? It originally had Grave guard with the wight till i realised the potential if i swapped them for ghouls with regen.

Morello
02-04-2009, 23:57
so here goes;

This will be my tournament list for 09+10 and is the end result of my love affair with vampire counts;

Vampire lord

Vampire

Vampire

Wight King

Ghast

15 Ghouls - 1 vamp here
Ghast

15 Ghouls - 1 vamp here
Ghast

19 Ghouls - Drakenhof
Ghast

5 Dire wolves

5 Dire wolves

Vargulf

Vargulf

1994 pts.

11 casting

Whatcha think? It originally had Grave guard with the wight till i realised the potential if i swapped them for ghouls with regen.

I like the Ghouls for the BSB - interesting choice, extra potential lethality over GG, especially with Crown. Seems a bit worrisome that you're missing a Corpse Cart in there. Putting that in the center and kicking that bound (or making them hold dice for it) seems like a strong addition.

Spirit
03-04-2009, 00:38
so here goes;

Vampire lord

illegal, book and crown are both arcane

Vampire

very fragile vamp. Think it needs more protection just not sure how. Remember the peiapt has to save one of his own dice, so your probably best with the periapt on the vampire that wont be raising ghouls, as he is more likely to havea spare power dice you may want for dispell.

Vampire

Wight King

put him on a horse, 2+ save, extra attack, makes him unkillable. Still cannot be targetted within the unit

Ghast

15 Ghouls - 1 vamp here
Ghast

15 Ghouls - 1 vamp here
Ghast

19 Ghouls - Drakenhof
Ghast

5 Dire wolves

5 Dire wolves

Vargulf

Vargulf

1994 pts.

11 casting

Its not my kind of vamp army, but it's pretty solid. I think corpse carts are a waste of 75 points. For wha they do your just as well with 10 more ghouls.

Morello
03-04-2009, 00:46
illegal, book and crown are both arcane

This is incorrect. Book of Arkhan is an Arcane Item, Crown of the Damned is a Talisman or Enchanted.It's definitely not Arcane.

Spirit
03-04-2009, 01:30
Oops, sorry about the crown. Must be a bit too tired.

And you cant give the sword of kings to a model with any magical banner. So its either or and i think the drakenhoff with regular killing blow works.

XXL
03-04-2009, 01:38
black periapet takes a d-dice and makes it a p-dice. (for spirit) (omg ppl dont understand this?)

and btw, I dont think the wk have any good use in your list, a vamp would be much better..

Morello
03-04-2009, 02:06
Oops, sorry about the crown. Must be a bit too tired.

And you cant give the sword of kings to a model with any magical banner. So its either or and i think the drakenhoff with regular killing blow works.

Really? I thought you could as long as you didn't give them a Magical Banner?

If you're right, I've been cheating like crazy :x

PaddyF
03-04-2009, 05:48
i think the drakenhoff with regular killing blow works.

As long as you do not give him a great weapon. If you give a Wight King a GW he loses KB but if you give it to GG they don't... :confused:

Similar to the list I run but I do have the GG bunker for the Lord as I like the models and the idea of a Vampire Lord having a bodyguard of Ancient Kings.

MasterSparks
03-04-2009, 06:59
As long as you do not give him a great weapon. If you give a Wight King a GW he loses KB but if you give it to GG they don't... :confused:

Actually, a wight king will only lose his killing blow if you give him a magical weapon - any normal weapons carried by one will follow the rules for wight blades. :)

SiNNiX
03-04-2009, 07:38
I like the list but I don't care what anyone says, corpse carts are NOT a waste of points. They're not even pricey. The VC army that I barely beat my first tournament home from Iraq had three of them and he barely lost - he massacred one of the armies he played beforehand as well. Corpse carts are righteous imo.

PxDn Ninja
03-04-2009, 15:56
Really? I thought you could as long as you didn't give them a Magical Banner?

If you're right, I've been cheating like crazy :x

If you make a character the Army BSB, but do NOT give them a magic banner, then you can outfit the character with magic weapons. If you DO give them a magic banner, then you cannot give any magic weapons to that character (but can still use powers).

SiNNiX
03-04-2009, 17:43
Keep in mind that the BSB cannot carry any additional mundane weapons or armour regardless of whether he has a magic banner or not.

Lex
03-04-2009, 18:00
Keep in mind that the BSB cannot carry any additional mundane weapons or armour regardless of whether he has a magic banner or not.

This is not true with any of the books released since and including the HE book.

ZombieMans
03-04-2009, 18:04
Huh? What do you mean he can't use mundane armor and weapons?

SiNNiX
03-04-2009, 18:51
Ah seriously? That's lame! I never even noticed that VC, HE, etc. could do that yet the other previously released 7ED armies still can't? I can't believe they changed that!!! Is it an official thing for all armies or did they just figure they'd screw over Dwarves, Orcs, WE, etc.? All of the 7ED armies I have (Dwarves, WE & DK) except for Daemons aren't even updated to that rule!!!

PxDn Ninja
15-04-2009, 16:04
Ah seriously? That's lame! I never even noticed that VC, HE, etc. could do that yet the other previously released 7ED armies still can't? I can't believe they changed that!!! Is it an official thing for all armies or did they just figure they'd screw over Dwarves, Orcs, WE, etc.? All of the 7ED armies I have (Dwarves, WE & DK) except for Daemons aren't even updated to that rule!!!

Not sure. Check their errata. I only know the VC really well, and their armor comes from a power so perhaps something to do with the source of the armor.

Malorian
15-04-2009, 16:05

Nope, orcs are fine. Just make your BSB a black orc and you can have a great weapon or extra handweapon. :D

And dwarf BSB's don't need it since they can just take runes that give them armor... rerollable armor... and even rerollable armor where your str is reduced to 5 if you want.

orange mash
19-04-2009, 11:37
i take a vampier lord on zom dragon with dreadlance,red fury,dark acolite,crown of the dammed and extra magic leval and out of 20 2k games
i have only lost one

PARTYCHICORITA
19-04-2009, 14:47
This is pretty balance list. A friend of mine runs a similar one with a huge ammount of success.
The only point where i disagree with it is the crown. I know Ld10 is a lot but i am not so big on taking chances with an stupid lord.
Overall though it's a good list and i can't give anymore critism.