PDA

View Full Version : Vampires and armour

dijit80
03-04-2009, 10:53
I see regularly Vampures with armour, as they are wizards they shouldn't be allowed to cast magic, so I guess there is a special rule in the vampire book - can anyone point me to its page number?

Atrahasis
03-04-2009, 10:56
There is no rule preventing wizards from casting while wearing armour.

Wizards simply don't often have the option to wear armour.

Braad
03-04-2009, 11:02
Indeed. This rule was dropped when we went from 6th to 7th.

The rule we have no is that wizards need the option for armour in their entry to be allowed magic armour. Comes down to more or less the same, as most wizards don't have an armour option, but a few can do so, yes.

Spirit
03-04-2009, 11:47
I see regularly Vampures with armour, as they are wizards they shouldn't be allowed to cast magic, so I guess there is a special rule in the vampire book - can anyone point me to its page number?

All wizards can cast magic and wear armour.

Secondly, if they have access to mundane armour, they may buy magical armour.

dijit80
03-04-2009, 12:55
ahah - that had totally escaped my attention! thanks.

Gorbad Ironclaw
03-04-2009, 17:05
It's easier really. Since virtually all the wizards who could take armour had some special rule that said they could cast anyway (like chaos armour).

Keller
03-04-2009, 17:45
Their are some armors that allow wizards to take them, even though they cannot normally take magic armors. The Empire's Armor of Tanarus, for example. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

SrgReefer
05-04-2009, 19:42
ive never had a problem with vamps and armor well casting, havnt seen anyone say no yet.

Dexter099
05-04-2009, 20:20
The fact that vamps can now cast magic and wear tons of armor has partially contributed to the overpoweredness of the VC list. In the old one, every vampire couldn't wear armor and cast, with the exception of Blood Knights, who paid for it with a power dice penalty.

sulla
06-04-2009, 02:04
The fact that vamps can now cast magic and wear tons of armor has partially contributed to the overpoweredness of the VC list. In the old one, every vampire couldn't wear armor and cast, with the exception of Blood Knights, who paid for it with a power dice penalty.

I disagree. In 6th, the only vamps I ever saw were BD. All casters were necromancers.

Armour for vamps has made them viable choices, not overpowered. 2+ saves on t4 models are not too powerful. Sure the lord is hard to kill, but I'd rather see him in the frontlines with armour and a ward than in a bunker behind a thousand zombies chainting, "Raise, raise, raise!".

The problems in the VC list, seem to me, mainly due to the ungodly synergy of the magic items (Helm , regen banner especially), the ease of getting ASF (easily 3 bounds and a spammed spell every phase) and the cost of the powers which allow players to boost units over their starting size.

Dexter099
06-04-2009, 04:42
Yes, well, everybody wanted a Blood Knight because he was a combat monster. But now with the limitations lifted and there being no penalty for him...

You are right, some of the problems with the Vampire Counts stem from their powerful magic item selection. But that stems from the ability for everyone to wear armor now...

Gorbad Ironclaw
06-04-2009, 04:52
I don't really think the armour got a whole lot to do with it.

For a start the most powerful/seen bloodline around here(well Denmark) was easily Stregoi, not Blood Dragons. With the bonusses they got they were easily the combat monsters Blood Dragons could be, just as resilient and better at magic.

With the current system if you want your vampire to be a combat monster he will just not be as good with magic, armour or no armour. Paying points either out of there magic item allowance or there vampire power allowance means you have to give up something else to get that armour.

And the magic focused vampires won't bother with armour anyway. In the VC army I used to run my Lord had a hand weapon, that was it for combat based equipment.

The Red Scourge
06-04-2009, 07:15
Armor has nothing to do with it. VC characters have to pay a lot from their skimpy point allowances to get an armor save, in this way you're forced to take either a tricked out caster / fighter or go with a gimped mishmash of the two. It is far worse to see your average chaos sorceror prance around on his mighty chaos steed with a 2+ save

Also add that VC magic aren't very offensive. Most of those power dice will be channeled into raising sub-par core troops.