PDA

View Full Version : Coloring templates.

Captain Micha
03-04-2009, 13:26
Hey guys I've run into a slight problem.

I've noticed that the templates (I don't have the bright green ones)
are really really easy to lose.

I lost my flamer and small blast templates last Sunday. Even after removing -everything- from the box I store my Tau in I couldn't find them!

Two days later after doing this -again-. I find my small blast... sitting under a Piranha... I realized how easy they are to lose then. I have not found my Flamer yet, it's either been left at the store, or I have yet to see it.

So I was wondering, is there a why to color them, and keep them transparent?

Fire Harte
03-04-2009, 13:37
Put your name on it maybe?

If they are the ones with little holes in (those transparent clear colour ones) you can easily make a hole in a certain point of it and put them on a keyring. Works really well and it isn't something you'll lose that easily.

MrBims
03-04-2009, 13:37
Just buy a set of green ones from someone you know has more than one AoBR box. They're not going to be very expensive.

Radium
03-04-2009, 13:38
The reason for them being transparent is so you can easily see how many guys are hit.

you could of course use a wash or something to give them a new colour.

Captain Micha
03-04-2009, 13:40
well the idea is to keep them so they are transparent enough to see minis under them but color them so they aren't so easily lost.

Keychain idea.. might be worth exploring.

Sharpie seems to be working so far....

Bunnahabhain
03-04-2009, 13:58
Washes work, I've done it.

Putting all of them on a keyring works, but can be awkward for determining multiple blasts.

Permanent markers tent to rub off, I've found.

Captain Micha
03-04-2009, 13:59
I'll try a wash then!

thinkin orange wash.... maximum brightness.

gitburna
03-04-2009, 14:07
Can't remember if the (flamer) templates still have a flame pattern embossed along the edges?

I've thought about painting in the edges of them yellow / red/ flame effect. They'd still be mostly transparent, but a flame effect along the edge (same with a blast marker) shouldn't stop you counting just how many models are actually underneath

the1stpip
03-04-2009, 14:13
If losing them to another player is a problem, trying scratching your initials, and thn inking over the area. Th ink will run into the crack, and won't scratch off easily.

Azhrarn
03-04-2009, 14:30
after applying a wash, maybe spray them in a coat of gloss varnish? (since that's generally the most damage resistant)
It should help keep them the colour you made them.

MaliGn
03-04-2009, 18:49
Try stained glass paints, they should work.

Crube
03-04-2009, 20:32
I tried to add a wash to the flamer template (just to make it look cool :)) but it really didn't work.

Maybe just needed to wash the template first - may be worth a try

Legionary
03-04-2009, 21:01
You could also paint around the vertical edges of the templates, since that'll differentiate them without disrupting their transparency.

LonelyPath
03-04-2009, 21:04
I don't so much have a problem with losing them but people walking off with them (and my dice, tape measuer, etc). These days I tend to keep them all in my pocket and pull them out when they're needed so they don't go walkabout. I may have to borrow the keyring approach though, sounds pretty cool having at the templates hanging from a belt loop, heh :D

Occulto
04-04-2009, 00:02
I'll try a wash then!

thinkin orange wash.... maximum brightness.

I did this to mine. I just painted them with watered down yellow, orange and red paint. Took me about ten minutes to do and looked good.

Bodysnatcher
04-04-2009, 00:07
Try painting with a mixture of ink and gloss varnish.

Plus, don't forget to put your name on them too!

A1TEC
04-04-2009, 00:20
Put your name on them, give them a wash of some sort and put them on a key chain.

HiveFleetEzekial
04-04-2009, 00:43
If you can find them, Testors make good transparent spray on paints (for top-coating models, usualy). Will be alot faster than brushing on or trying to 'dip' the tamplates and markers.

Boss Kopstud
06-04-2009, 13:45
Instead of a keyring to hold all three together, try finding some of the "ball-chain" that is used for dog tags or cheapo lightfixture pull chains. A short length of it with the clip to hook the two ends together is great, and you can quickly take them apart and put it back together. Trying to use one of the three while attaches to the other two can cause problems (or maybe it was the beer-slowed motor skills....)

moodydoody
06-04-2009, 15:10
Rit dye would work very well.

People use it all the time to color plastic stuff and leave it transparent. I know it works well for paintball stuff so I would assume it works well on clear templates.

And it would look a hell of a lot better than a paint job in most cases.

Captain Micha
06-04-2009, 15:21
Has anyone actually tried stained glass painting? Someone suggested it I was curious to see how that would do.