PDA

View Full Version : Painting a Rohan Warhost to a good standard quickly?

Shuttler
03-04-2009, 14:44
having decided on my Rohan army for WotR and LOTRSB and wondered if anyone had any good tips for painting the box quickly but also to a good standard?

I have never bought models in this large amount before and it is a little daunting.

i normally by a small box of warriors or similar and do them at my own pace. This time I am keen to get on with them quickly and not leaving them lying around unfinished!

cyphertheory
03-04-2009, 14:55
depending on your colour scheme, maybe you would do well to try a spray gun and knarlock green foundation paint? would give you a strong base colour to work up from, and would be very quick?

make sure you post pictures!

good luck

Shuttler
03-04-2009, 14:58
Interesting and I have the spray gun already!

I always wonder which colour to spray though, green seems obvious until you get to calvery then brown i guess?

Spider-pope
03-04-2009, 16:12
For cavalry i'd say something like Snakebite brown, and then a wash of Sepia or Ogryn flesh to give a bit of shading quite easily for the horses. Knarloc green as a basecoat for the infantry sounds good. Really for quick painting the washes will be your friend, they are a fast easy way to improve the look of your models.

Shuttler
04-04-2009, 07:35
Thankyou

I have all the washes but not really used them on much.

Are we essentially thinking, get all the parts covered with a single base colour then wash, then highlight and detail?

Sounds good to me :D

Odin
04-04-2009, 11:03
I'm considering much the same thing. My plan for the army would be simply to paint calthan brown (leather), knarlock green (cloth), tallarn flesh, chainmail, gold and a couple of other colours on them, and then a devlan mud wash to shade and tie it all together. Fast and effective.

Shuttler
20-04-2009, 11:06
Having finally got my boxes purchased I am wondering how to begin with spraying these calvery for ease.

With the plastics I like to assemble the rider on to the horse first, so shall I spray the whole thing brown and build up the green, flesh, mail and gold on top of that before washing with devlan mud or similar?

Lyinar
20-04-2009, 14:53
Once you get the undercoat down, drybrushing, then washing will give you a fairly smooth, well-shaded look very quickly. The Foundation Paints and the washes are some of the best things to come out of GW in the past few years, and I say that taking into account the full extent of the awesomeness of the miniatures they've released in that time. Using Foundation Paints will give you a smooth, even tone in one or two coats, even on traditionally horrible colours like yellow, and then you can highlight and shade from there.

For all the cavalry I've ever done, I've painted the mount and rider separately. If you leave a bit bare on the underside of the rider's ass and on the saddle, it'll help it hold together once you glue it (plastic cement works by dissolving the material and when it dries again, it's one solid piece, and paint gets in the way of that, something I've actually been grateful for when cannibalizing my older models), or you could leave them unglued to aid in storage and transportation.

I've found that for general-purpose shading, Devlan Mud and Badab Black are the two most useful colours for the Washes. They'll give you good shading on pretty much any base colour.

Huw_Dawson
20-04-2009, 15:21
I'd have a look at the Army Painter range of products, especially their Quick Shade range and their really big spray cans.

http://shop.warlordgames.co.uk/army-painter-15-c.asp

- Huw

Shuttler
04-05-2009, 16:10
Well I have made a start, seems like a nice quick method for Rank & File

clicky (http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/images-14322-2450_Rohan%20Army.html)