PDA

View Full Version : Competitive-ish Sigmarite Empire 2250

it's coming this way!
03-04-2009, 13:47
Hey there guys, I'm getting back into the hobby with fantasy (used to play with a not-so-fun 40k group that eventually fell apart). So after a several-year break from the GW hobby, I'm back with Sigmarite Empire.

My goals with this army are basically to have a great-looking army that is fun to play against, but CAN win games. My list-writing skills were never so great, so I've come to you all for guidance. I threw together a list in about 20 minutes this morning, basically throwing in what stuff I already have, and what stuff I'm aiming to include in the army theme- and fluff-wise.

In terms of strategy, I'm not going to BS you guys by pretending I've got any idea what I should be doing, but looking around, I've seen a lot of talk of blocks of infantry, so that's basically what I went for. In case anything I've done here is terribly wrong, this is the first list I've ever made for fantasy, so I think I did everything alright, but there might be errors.

Finally, be brutal! I need to know what desperately needs fixing, what kind of strategies work well for an Empire list like this, anything helps!

The Sigmarite Crusaders of Johann Schrader, Flagellant Viscount of Ostland- 2250pts

Characters-

Felix, False Prophet of Sigmar- 220pts
Arch Lector- speculum, sword of power, armor of meteoric iron

Johann Schrader, The Flagellant Viscount of Ostland- 122pts
Captain of the Empire-Barded Warhorse, Full Plate Armor, Hammer of Judgment, Shield of the Gorgon

Battle Standard Bearer- 183pts
Captain of the Empire- BSB, Imperial Banner, Full Plate Armor

Warrior Priest- 140pts
Dawn Armor, Wyrmslayer Sword

Core-

Swordsmen- 205pts
x30, Full Command

-Handgunner Detachment-40pts
x5

-Free Company Detachment- 50pts
x10

Flagellants- 140pts
x14

Knightly Orders- 155pts
x5, Full Command

Special-

Great Cannon- 100pts

Great Cannon- 100pts

Pistoliers- 114pts
x5, Musician, Outrider w/ Repeater Pistol

Greatswords- 280pts
x25, Full Command

-Handgunner Detachment- 40pts
x5

-Free Company Detachment- 50pts
x10
Rare-

Steam Tank- 300pts

Malorian
03-04-2009, 13:54
The imperial banner is nice but very expensive. Since you have the troops any way i'd give him the griffin banner and put him on a barded horse for a better save.

Wyrdslayer sword is meh... might as well stick with a great weapon. You already have two other magic weapons to deal with ethereal units.

Why is the free company to big? They are a throw away unit, so keep them small.

Probably don't need full command on the knights.

Overall the list is ok and I'm sure you'll do fine once you get used to it :)

Makarion
03-04-2009, 17:46
The Dawn Armour is nice, but put him on a barded horse so a random grunt with a great weapon doesn't negate his armour (before you get to reroll it).

it's coming this way!
04-04-2009, 04:45
Alright, made the changes you guys recommended, just have a few questions-

Can characters on warhorses accompany infantry? (I'm still a little bit shaky on the fantasy rules) If they can, how does that affect the character?

The Sigmarite Crusaders of Johann Schrader, Flagellant Viscount of Ostland- 2250pts (1.1)

Characters- The characters are all meant to accompany units, though I'm not really sure which units would be good for them to deploy with/if they would be better solo? Also, now that most of them are on warhorses, how would that affect me wanting to throw them in units?

Felix, False Prophet of Sigmar- 220pts
Arch Lector- speculum, sword of power, armor of meteoric iron

Johann Schrader, The Flagellant Viscount of Ostland- 122pts
Captain of the Empire-Barded Warhorse, Full Plate Armor, Hammer of Judgment, Shield of the Gorgon (W/ Knightly Orders)

Battle Standard Bearer- 152pts
Captain of the Empire- BSB, Barded Warhorse, Griffon Standard, Full Plate Armor

Warrior Priest- 143pts
Barded Warhorse, Dawn Armor, Great Weapon

Core-

Swordsmen- 205pts
x30, Full Command

-Handgunner Detachment-40pts
x5

-Free Company Detachment- 25pts
x5

Flagellants- 140pts
x14

Knightly Orders- 123pts
x5, Musician

Special-

Great Cannon- 100pts

Great Cannon- 100pts

Pistoliers- 114pts
x5, Musician, Outrider w/ Repeater Pistol

Greatswords- 280pts
x25, Full Command

-Handgunner Detachment- 40pts
x5

-Free Company Detachment- 25pts
x5
Rare-

Steam Tank- 300pts

That leaves me with 2129pts, with 121pts left to work with. What would be a good use of that?

Makarion
04-04-2009, 13:57
Characters on horses can be part of infantry units, yes - they just replace an additional model in the second rank (even if they don't perfectly line up in 20mm model units). They still gain the "Look Out Sir!" benefit.

it's coming this way!
04-04-2009, 14:11
Aha! Great, I'll do that then. Sorry for the noob question.

What do you guys think I should do with the leftover points I have?

You guys can see the army grow here! (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191543)

Though right now there's really not a whole lot to show for it, mostly just some background I wrote up the other day, but it's something!

Makarion
04-04-2009, 20:55
A Warbanner on the Greatswords is probably well worth the 25 points. Personally, I am not a fan of champions in my pistoliers, and I would remove it. Any leftover points I'd use to bulk up your flagellants unit, as they are very vulnerable to magic and shooting.

Bunkka-Pop
07-04-2009, 14:50
If you're trying to make this list rather competetive, then I'd suggest to use those leftover points to give your arch lector a nice war altar, since it's a darn cost-effective thing.

it's coming this way!
11-04-2009, 15:07
Sorry for the delay in looking at this-

But how would you folks recommend the war altar be used in a game? Does it effectively allow the arch lector to function on his own, or would he need an accompaniment?

I'm just curious about the general impression of them, before I commit to an extra 100 points on my arch lector!

thanks again!
-It's

Makarion
11-04-2009, 17:16
The main strengths of the war altar is not to make the Arch Lector more fighty (although it's usually handy to combo-charge him alonside a unit of knights), but for:

* +2 to the armour save (which combines great with Dawn Armour if you decide to swap that with the Meteoric Iron.
* Free bound spell of your choice from the Lore of Light. You can pick anew each turn, but I often end up using the one that creates an ItP bubble, as that is a major weakness for the Empire.
* The Arch Lector becomes unbreakable. This means he cannot join normal units (although you could put him in a unit of flagellants if you wanted to), but it makes him excellent in grinding down things like Greater Daemons, especially with the Speculum.
* 4+ ward save and MR 2. That saves on his magic item allowance, since you want to give him a ward save, anyway.
* He becomes US 5, which allows him to negate ranks.

dijit80
11-04-2009, 17:29
* The Arch Lector becomes unbreakable. This means he cannot join normal units (although you could put him in a unit of flagellants if you wanted to), but it makes him excellent in grinding down things like Greater Daemons, especially with the Speculum.

But as the war altar is a chariot could he join units anyway?

Makarion
11-04-2009, 18:05
I'm not sure. The TK characters that can have a chariot can join units of chariots, at least. I've never seen anyone try to join them to other units, now I think of it, which is no proof either way....

dijit80
12-04-2009, 15:51
I can't seem to find anything either, which seems to point towards that you can. Since he's unbreakable, then placing him in a unit of flagellants would be nasty.