PDA

View Full Version : Basing Dwarfs?

Volker the Mad Fiddler
03-04-2009, 15:04
Just curious as to our people here generally base their Dwarfs as the 'usual' green dominated bases don't seem appropriate? Thanks for any responses.

N810
03-04-2009, 15:07
you could have them standing on cobelstone or maybe a cave floor,
or LOL a big pile of gold :p

Ps. I don't own any Dwarves.

MalusCalibur
03-04-2009, 15:08
Well, if you take a peek at my Project Log, you'll see that I based my Dwarfs by painting on some floor tiles.
Simple (in theory only. In practice they took AGES) and yet effective.

Beyond that, any kind of rocky/sandy ground with a blackish-grey colour scheme would be fine, IMO.

EDIT:
I'd love to see a Dwarf army based like that :D

MalusCalibur

75hastings69
03-04-2009, 15:13
Those look great, I had the wacky idea of cutting out york stone plasticard and mounting it on my bases for my WotR Misty Mountains/Moria army and really wish I hadn't it's waaaaay too much effort.

BTW to get more feedback I would suggest having this thread moved to M, P&T area.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
03-04-2009, 15:15
Just curious as to our people here generally base their Dwarfs as the 'usual' green dominated bases don't seem appropriate? Thanks for any responses.

To be honest, I didn't think people still based like that. Those old-timey super-green bases are awful. I'd use some of those shale chips you can get in the basing kits.

ZeroTwentythree
03-04-2009, 15:18
you could have them standing on cobelstone or maybe a cave floor,

I'll cast a third vote for "a big pile of gold." Super stylish!

DarkTerror
03-04-2009, 15:43
To be honest, I didn't think people still based like that. Those old-timey super-green bases are awful. I'd use some of those shale chips you can get in the basing kits.

You didn't realize people still used flocked bases? :wtf:

It's very easy for newbies.

*edit* They actually don't look half bad on Bretonnia. Knights on green grass is somewhat fitting and the bright green doesn't feel out of place given the knights are very vibrant themselves.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
03-04-2009, 15:45
You didn't realize people still used flocked bases? :wtf:

It's very easy for newbies.

The first bases I ever did was for a squad of Ultramarines. I didn't even paint the base, just added some of the rocks from the basing kit. They're already brown. It looked fine. I think you're underestimating the hobby skills of "newbies" or overestimating the difficulty of basing.

DarkTerror
03-04-2009, 15:50
The first bases I ever did was for a squad of Ultramarines. I didn't even paint the base, just added some of the rocks from the basing kit. They're already brown. It looked fine. I think you're underestimating the hobby skills of "newbies" or overestimating the difficulty of basing.

You're right on both accounts. I have no idea why you'd flock 40k pieces and basing isn't all that hard. It's just easier to make 'em green.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
03-04-2009, 16:21
You're right on both accounts. I have no idea why you'd flock 40k pieces and basing isn't all that hard. It's just easier to make 'em green.

You are also 100% right. It's just that I think those green flocked bases are terrible.

Urgat
03-04-2009, 17:11
The green base looks better if you paint the edges brown, in fact (imho) (edit: somewhat like that: http://www.cobraworld.net/nico/warhammer/orcsandgobs/biguns3.jpg though I didn't use flocking, granted). But they look way better if you don't just use the green flock, some puffs of static grass works ok, for basic bases.

And, for dwarfs, i'd base them like my night gobs (http://www.cobraworld.net/nico/warhammer/orcsandgobs/speargobs1final.jpg), but with some snow. The tiles are cardboard, if you wanna know, btw, the rest is just thick sand glued to the base, everything is then painted/drybrushed in shades of grey then a final white brushing.

MSU
03-04-2009, 17:39
I don't know what you think is wrong with the green flocked bases. At least they put some time in to finishing the bases. They could be black plastic or just painted green. Arent most people happy to play against an opponent who at least tried to paint/finish an army? I would not say one word to someone who painted and then based with basic green flock. I would have a hard time telling someone "yeah, your army is cool, but I think your bases suck because you spent time to paint them green and flock them."

I for one like the green flocked ones, specifically because I play the game on the green Citadel battlemat, which is green. It makes the illusion that the army is not even on bases, rather standing on the table itself.

Just my thoughts.

N810
03-04-2009, 17:54
We are talking about the crudy bases that still have gaps showing around the feet and are just painted bright green and have a bit of glue with some haisltly added flock or mated static grass added. :p

(If you've shoped on eBay enough you know what i'm talking about)

Keller
03-04-2009, 17:57
The green base looks better if you paint the edges brown, in fact (imho) (edit: somewhat like that: http://www.cobraworld.net/nico/warhammer/orcsandgobs/biguns3.jpg though I didn't use flocking, granted). But they look way better if you don't just use the green flock, some puffs of static grass works ok, for basic bases.

My Empire bases are done Green with flocking. My VC army was Brown with Flocking I think the Green ones look a lot better, personally. My Ogres are based with medium-ballast from train terrain, painted to look like small rocks/gravel.

The 2 Black Dragons
03-04-2009, 17:59
I base mine on these magnificent bases!

Availiable here!!
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/khorne*0*_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

http://www.seelenhaeuter.com/Bilder_ebay/keltik/regimentsbase_keltik_5x2_1_2.jpg

http://www.seelenhaeuter.com/Bilder_ebay/keltik/regimentsbase_keltik_5x5_1_2.jpg

http://www.seelenhaeuter.com/Bilder_ebay/keltik/keltik%2020er%20slayer%20bases_1_1.jpg

Urgat
03-04-2009, 18:43
Yeah they look cool, but that's rather expensive, at least for horde armies :p

SiNNiX
03-04-2009, 18:52
I just go outside and find rocks that are about an inch in diameter and glue 1 rock per base onto my bases, as I have demonstrated in this illustration:

The 2 Black Dragons
03-04-2009, 18:53
Since when are dwarfs horde armies ?? :confused:

Urgat
03-04-2009, 18:57
That was a general comment.

grumbaki
03-04-2009, 18:57
For my dwarfs I just put down a base of small rocks and paint it all gray. Simple, easy and it gets the mountainous feel down (I'm not the best painter in the world...or anywhere close, but it works well enough for me).

SiNNiX
03-04-2009, 21:35
You're right, you're not the best painter in the world. After all, how could you be? I'm the best painter in the world! Example of my finest work shown below:

Volker the Mad Fiddler
03-04-2009, 23:38
You didn't realize people still used flocked bases? SNIP

Flock? Basing kits? Sand is free. So I generally do the whiteglue/water over sand, then paint and drybrush the sand various shades of greenr/browns/yellows. I was hoping for something a bit different for the Dwarfs. Might have to try the cardboard flagstones.