PDA

View Full Version : Starting Ogre Kingdoms-- Which hero to begin with?

Desalbert
03-04-2009, 15:53
Hi everyone! So, in light of some BoC announcements which disappointed me a tad, I've decided to shelve my Beasts project and instead begin to work on an Ogre Kingdoms force, (in addition to sprucing up my O&G)

With that in mind, my first question is, as I slowly slowly begin my purchases, which hero should I choose first? Obviously, I will eventually expand to encompass them all, but, to begin, should it be: The Hunter, The Tyrant, or The Bucher, if I had to choose just ONE for now?

I'm leaning Hunter because he looks uber cool with his 'ballista' weapon (or, that's treated as a stone thrower or whatever it is) in addition to his sabertooths, but is that a good idea?

Also, because we're on the subject of starting Ogre Kingdoms, is the battalion box a recommended place to start?

Thanks everyone, Des.

IcedCrow
03-04-2009, 15:54
The battalion box is usually always a good start.

Briohmar
03-04-2009, 15:59
A butcher is a good hero choice. If there were a model for a bruiser, I'd say get one of those as well and a battalion. You're already at 1000 plus. The hunter is a cool model, but apparently is a consistent under achiever on the table, and its not actually a character. Man-eaters are also very cool.

selone
03-04-2009, 16:03
The battalion box is one of the best battalions out there and pretty handily makes an 1 K force. Not all battalion boxes are advisable but this one definetly is, I considered colelcting an OK army just on the basis of battalion.
Don't get a hunter as your one hero choice, hes sub-par and cant grant his LD to anything other than gnobblar trappers :D. Model one of the bulls to be a bruiser from the battalion and then buy a butcher. Job done.

Agoz
03-04-2009, 16:07
you should start with either a Tyrant/bruiser, because Hunters and butchers can't lead the army. your second hero should be a butcher, the Hunter is fun... but he tries to be too many things, and he's not very good at any of them.

Mercules
03-04-2009, 16:14
Bruiser/Tyrant. Why? Because no one else can lead the army. Seriously.

Butchers can't be taken unless you take a Bruiser/Tyrant. At that point the Bruiser/Tyrant has a higher leadership and becomes General.
Slaughtermasters are the same way but you have to have a Tyrant first.
Hunter has the Loner rule stating he can never join units or be the General.

Keller
03-04-2009, 16:25
As others have said, the Battalion Box is a great buy for OK armies. I picked up a couple to help beef up my ranks.

As for the characters, you have to go with the Bruiser/Tyrant. There is not specific model for the Bruiser, but the Tyrant model would work just fine. I recommend converting one from the Bulls/Guts in the box, though. Just adorn him with some trinkets and give him a special paint job. If your fancy, you could convert with some other pieces or greenstuff.

For your second character, a Butcher. Get a Hunter if you want to have some fun, but the other characters are generally a better choice. I still like my Hunters, though.

Mercules
03-04-2009, 16:27
Otherwise... as I have said before... Use a Maneater for your Bruiser and let people know that is what it is. ;)

Speaking of Hunters. I once ran a "fun" list with 3 hunters and 4 units of Gnoblar Trappers. My opponent came to hate Gnoblars more than most things in the game.
"They get to stand and shoot when I charge the hunter? All three units and without the penalty? Oh crap!"
"Ld 9? They get the Hunter's Leadership? So I can't really panic them, can I."
"I can't believe I rolled 2 1s for my saves."

Zeuy
03-04-2009, 16:27
I just picked up the battalion box and am in the process of converting three of the bulls into bruisers. Also, I'm thinking about converting some of the little odd-end gnoblars into trappers. So, until I pick up another battalion, I've got a 1250 point list written up with one box. And if I want to lighten up on the characters, I'll throw in a gorger and gnoblar fighters! I definitely recommend the battalion and converting!

Mercules
03-04-2009, 16:36
Also, I'm thinking about converting some of the little odd-end gnoblars into trappers.

Here is an easy conversion for Gnoblar Fighter into Gnoblar Trapper. You need:
1 Base
1 Bear Trap from Ogre sprue
1 Gnoblar Fighter
1 "natural" paintbrush from the hardware store(usually $.97 or so)

Glue the gnoblar in one corner of the base. Paint head and arms, anything that "sticks out" for the most part. Glue the trap in the other corner. Now cut bristles from the paintbrush and glue them to the sides of the gnoblar with the bottom flush with the base. Really cover him up so just a few parts hang out(which are hopefully painted).

Now you have a Gnoblar skulking in the high grass waiting for someone to step in his trap. ;)

Keller
03-04-2009, 18:10
Otherwise... as I have said before... Use a Maneater for your Bruiser and let people know that is what it is. ;)

Speaking of Hunters. I once ran a "fun" list with 3 hunters and 4 units of Gnoblar Trappers. My opponent came to hate Gnoblars more than most things in the game.
"They get to stand and shoot when I charge the hunter? All three units and without the penalty? Oh crap!"
"Ld 9? They get the Hunter's Leadership? So I can't really panic them, can I."
"I can't believe I rolled 2 1s for my saves."

Sounds like a fun game. I've run 2 Hunters a bunch of times, though I always forget the Trappers can stand and shoot like that. I always forget that hitting a Large Target with the bolt-thrower causes another wound if they fail a S test, too.

Zeuy
03-04-2009, 18:34
I'll try that out tonight, Mercules. Thanks for the tip!

Danny76
04-04-2009, 01:10
Batallion is definitely the way to go, being currently the best value for money wise really.

A handy trick is also when you buy one tyrant box and one butcher box, get another box of bulls and make a unit of three. With the remaining, you can use the spare heads/weapons from the characters, to make a second character of each type.
It leads you with a spare bull (unless you like units of 4. but i'd go 3 for bulls, 4 for ironguts and 2 for leadbelchers, but your choice) but saves you a lot on characters, and you get some good looking character models out of it.
If youcan Green Stuff a apron on the bull thats becoming your second butcher, even better!

catbarf
04-04-2009, 02:41
Take a look on Ebay, some GREAT deals can be had there.

Feefait
04-04-2009, 03:18
I don't find hunters ot be enarly worthwhile. Butchers are a mainstay I'd say. It;s where I'd go. Reaper makes a kick ass female ogre chef model with a giant cleaver that I love as a butcher and would be where I would start.

PARTYCHICORITA
04-04-2009, 14:03
IMO the best hero for a 2Kpts game is Skrag. He's a magic user, decent in combat, good Ld and allows you to take 8 gorgers.

w3rm
04-04-2009, 15:11
Try here at: http://folk.ntnu.no/tarjeia/avian/subpage.php?s=index_ogre_tactics some great stuff here.

Solasun
04-04-2009, 18:19
Battalion box convert a butcher and bruiser from Bulls.