PDA

View Full Version : WOTR Standard Game Size?

WhiteLion
03-04-2009, 18:13
Is there any sense regarding what the standard game size will be? I got a look at the book recently, though it was only a look, and I couldn't get a sense from that.

A lot of lists here look like 1k. Is this the standard size?

Anyone have thoughts on this? I apologize if it has been answered somewhere else but this thread has a variety of different discussions and things get a bit muddied.

Thanks in advance.

Jorgen_CAB
03-04-2009, 18:33
Another similar question that I have are how large the battlefield need to be depending on the points you are using to be able to have battlefield maneuvering. Games where you have units deployed in two lines and still can stretch them across the battlefields get boring quick. Some scenarios, fighting in a valley or where there is a limit to the battlefield width are perfectly valid. I usually see very large games being played with too large armies in too small battlefields in Warhammer all the time.

takaetun
03-04-2009, 18:40
At my local we've worked out 2k as a sort of standard biggish battle, maybe the equivalent of 2250 or 2500 for WHFB or 1750-2000 for 40K. There really doesn't need to be a standard, more just how much time you have for a game - though you do get Fates and Fortunes at 2000, so thats always fun.

Nu Fenix
03-04-2009, 18:48
My local store will be doing a tournament against another GW store in May, and have set the points for WOTR at 1500, so that will be my testing ground for a good while, and hopefully from there I can get a feel for the game, and if that is average, could do with being a little bit bigger or even much bigger.

WhiteLion
03-04-2009, 19:27
At my local we've worked out 2k as a sort of standard biggish battle, maybe the equivalent of 2250 or 2500 for WHFB or 1750-2000 for 40K. There really doesn't need to be a standard, more just how much time you have for a game - though you do get Fates and Fortunes at 2000, so thats always fun.

No, there doesn't need to be a standard, but I am just trying to figure it out since I want to set a goal, and I don't want to go overboard (at least to start), so to speak but I don't want to come in under if people are expecting a certain size game. Just want to know what to shoot for as I build a first army.

Marauder
03-04-2009, 20:02
In the rulebook, page 76, it suggests that 1000-3000pts is a good size for a game to be resolved in a few hours. They also suggest using a 6'x4' board for games of 1000-2000pts.

I know we are planning on doing 1000pts for the first month or so, but we'll be bumping that up to 1500pts pretty fast.

Personnally I'll be building my Mordor until about 4000pts. I have all the big baddies, and it just doesn't feel right fielding them in anything less than that!