PDA

View Full Version : The Pirates of the Warhammer World. Is it possible, and would it be good?

vinny t
03-04-2009, 22:08
So, I was painting up some militia when I realized how much like pirates they looked, so an idea popped up in my head to do a pirate army for empire using lots of free company. How would you do this army?

Or,

A Zombie Pirate army. This is one I have always wanted to do, but the rules were unofficial, now, using the new Vampire book, how would you do this army?

All helpful responses are appreciated. :)

Charistoph
03-04-2009, 22:33
Plenty of fluff for both in the Warhammer world.

For Empire: Free Companies, Hand Gunners, and Spearmen would probably best represent the standard rabble + pike and shot troops of old yester-century pirates. Captain would probably have light armor at best, brace of pistols, etc. Wizards would be limited to a couple of Winds due to danger and superstition (I wouldn't want a Bright Wizard on board, and Alchemists would make me just as nervous). Engineer could work, too. Obviously Cannon would show up a lot, but what to do with the Rares.

Dark14
03-04-2009, 23:25
lots of militia and free companies for empire would be cool. and a life wizard would work.

sabre4190
03-04-2009, 23:31
This list could work very well, and a friend of mine actually built it! He used a good number of cannons, handgunners to give it some competitive spirit, then used free companies and swordsmen. Base all of them out free companies, and maybe add some extra flair with some cool colors.

Eric sarlin did a big pirate themed army throughout WD, and used some dogs of war as well. If you want to use a unit of duelists from the DOW list (not sure how legal it is anymore), that is fluffy. You can also throw in other units of mercenaries in the form of ogres, or even dwarfs (DOW or Long drongs slayers). But best of luck, and its a themed army that really does work.

dannyfave
03-04-2009, 23:32
Ships captain (General of the empire), on foot w/ bracew of pistols
lev2 life wizzard
lev 2 life wizzard
2x24 ships crew (free company) w/ command
1 x 24 swashbucklers (swordsmen) w/command and to detachments of ships crew
2x10 handgunners
2x cannons

maybe a sort of amphibious vehicle to represent a steam tank.... a boat with wheels and a cannon on front.

Harwammer
03-04-2009, 23:34
Check out the Sartosa range for a nice pirate captain!

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1300200&prodId=prod1340011

Dai-Mongar
04-04-2009, 00:40
Of course pirates would want an alchemist! They make GOLD! :D
If I were to do a pirate themed army I'd probably go with OK. Pirate Maneater can fill in as tyrant (captain), bulls with lots of eye patches/bandannas/striped pants, a hunter with a peg leg and shark-jaw gutplate (and his trusty harpoon gun), plenty of leadbelchers...

Excuse me, I may be off to buy some Ogres right now... :p

Keller
04-04-2009, 01:48
Dogs of War would also work well for pirate lists.

Pikemen - Boarding Pikes or Oars
Duelists - Skirmisher w/ pistols or AHWs
Crossbowmen - could use muskets instead, just 'counts as' crossbow
cannons
Norse Marauders - Landing party
OK Lead Belchers
OK Pirate Maneaters
Dwarves - for the stunty pirates?
Slayer Pirates RoR

catbarf
04-04-2009, 02:47
So, I was painting up some militia when I realized how much like pirates they looked, so an idea popped up in my head to do a pirate army for empire using lots of free company. How would you do this army?

Free company as pirates, Handgunners as musketeers, and lots of piratey Ogre mercenaries- It'd be a very cool idea.

jason
04-04-2009, 16:56
If I were to do a pirate themed army I'd probably go with OK. Pirate Maneater can fill in as tyrant (captain), bulls with lots of eye patches/bandannas/striped pants, a hunter with a peg leg and shark-jaw gutplate (and his trusty harpoon gun), plenty of leadbelchers...

Excuse me, I may be off to buy some Ogres right now... :p

Slayer pirates as gnoblars FTW!

Sir Jimmison
04-04-2009, 23:59
I think that this would be a fun and fluffy army if you made a little story about them, i have played on the idea but would rather make a dogs of war army

I hope that you will do this and show me some pics , i don't think it would be competitive unless you add a steam tank and cannons

Mercules
05-04-2009, 00:08
Check out Captain Blacksquig over on the Warpath. Goomb over there also builds ships for playing with.

Greenskins on the high seas... scary, huh?

Sleazy
05-04-2009, 09:54
Dan Abbnet did a novel about Warhammer pirates called Fell Cargo. It was a good read and should give you fluffy ideas.

Tymell
05-04-2009, 11:32
A Zombie Pirate army. This is one I have always wanted to do, but the rules were unofficial, now, using the new Vampire book, how would you do this army?

All helpful responses are appreciated. :)

I've got one of these planned for as soon as I have my car out of the way and thus cash to spare. I'm planning on it as containing both undead and summoned creatures, to add more variety.

Currently planned:
*A converted 40K carnifex an undead/summoned crustacean creature.
*Various spirit host/banshee models as spirits of the sea.
*Some green-stuffed ogre leadbelchers + the pirate maneater as undead ogre crew (lots of heavy lifting on ships, I'm sure mercenary ogres would be a must)
*Empire cannons, of course.
*A blending of various dragons/hydras to create some sea serpents.
*Combining bits from the marauder, zombie, dark elf corsair and empire militia kits to make up the bulk of the crew (in their adventures I'm sure my pirates will have battled and brought back to unlife a number of other races, hence the dark elves and marauders)
*Some heavily converted daemonettes as summoned/undead sirens/mermaids.
*Converted and combined ghouls and saurus' as flesh constructs for sea battles.
*An ogre butcher as ship's cook :D
*Some zombie captain models and a suitable vampire to lead it all.
*A suitably gribbly spawn model to represent an experiment of the vampire, The Thing Below Deck ;)

Sleazy
05-04-2009, 12:51
If you dont need 100% GW figs then Black Cat Bases do a great range of pirate minis at a good price. Scale is spot on too.

Unwise
06-04-2009, 08:45
I once helped a friend make a themed ghost pirate army. Originally it used the Zombie Pirate army list, but it has convereted well to use the new vampire counts.

My friend could not paint, so I helped him out using a simple white undercoat on pirate styled militia models. Then put a green wash over the top of them. They turned out looking like the Army of the Dead for LotR.

Armed with extra hand weapons, they make great ghouls. After all, pirates are likely to use poisons, so they have 2 poisoned attacks each.

Characters had their flesh painted the same way, but had bright clothes.

Galley slaves were later represented as flaggelants painted the same way. I think he played them as zombies, but I lost contact with him so am not sure.

He used carrion as fellbats. They represent undead Albertross.

darkace77450
06-04-2009, 09:15
Obviously Cannon would show up a lot, but what to do with the Rares.

Dogs of War cannons. ;)

Sleazy
06-04-2009, 12:36
well for a cannon I'd get a hold of the Commodore cannon from Warmachine.

Cypher, the Emperor
07-04-2009, 03:04
Just don't take the actual Zombie Pirate list, its horrendously bad.

Also, reaper makes a line of zombie and non/zombie pirates.
Their mind flayer pirate would make a cool necromancer.

popisdead
09-04-2009, 23:32
There was a zombie pirate impromtu kit released a while ago.

I'm doing a Ogre Pirate army. Kinda fun but not serious.

O&G'sRule
09-04-2009, 23:43
The dark elves are fantasy's pirates tbh, they don't say yo ho ho or carry rum around (the dwarfs probably stole it) but they are pirates

Cypher, the Emperor
10-04-2009, 08:29
The DE are Privateers, not Pirates. They are in the employ of a country and only attack their countries enemies.

And there is a pirate Mordheim gang, proving that pirates exist outside of DE.

Red Gevhere
29-07-2009, 00:18
First off, there is an entire city state of Tilea ruled by Pirates (Sartosa) which is in itself proof pirates exist outside dark elves. Second is the fact that Dwarf slayer pirates also exist!!!

As for a pirate army, I have a full 3500 pt pirate army already fully painted. With it is also its own list, special rules, units, and fluff.

Core:
Scallywags (free company)
Swashbucklers (DoW Duellists)~one unit be upgraded into Treasure hunters (scouts with braces of pistols)
Buccaneers (Swordsmen)
Gunners (Handgunners who can be upgraded to blunderbuss gunners)
Privateers (DoW Paymaster's Bodyguard)

Special:
Great Cannons
Mortars
Harpoon Guns (bolt throwers)

Rare:
Leadbelchers (has its own marksmen instead of thunderfist champion who can carry a brace of handguns)
Long Drong's Pirate Slayers

Lords:
Admiral of the Black (DoW General)
Pirate Wizard Lord
~there are also three special characters including the Pirate Princess~

Heroes:
Captain (Empire Captain)
Quartermaster (DoW Paymaster~ does not take up hero slot, but must have one)
Gunnery Commander (Engineer)
Pirate Wizard

Wizards use their own lore (Lore of the Seas) and cannot be army general

Red Gevhere
01-08-2009, 22:23
besides that list, my pirates can work with DoW and Empire Rules with ease. All of which have had success against Bretonians, Empire, Wood Elves, High Elves, Dwarfs, Goblins, Ogre Kingdoms, and Vampire Counts

Brother Alexos
02-08-2009, 01:33
If your going to do the Empire, your going to need to use alot of swordsmen without sheilds. This is if your going to for a traditional look, otherwise I would say that you make it look piratey by not using a uniform, but a uniform color.

If your going to do a Zombie pirate army, then you should take a Sartosan Vampire captain and alot of zombies with the details above.

Also, if your going for a traditional pirate look, then all of your cannons should be the like of an Empire Great Cannon.

My thoughts: You could make this into a warbands campaing where you use the Mighty Empires at sea rules on the GW website, and have one Island per person, you then sail, but before sailing, you should role on a chart that shows how far you can go, like this table I made up
Roll Result
1-2 Winds go against you, move
1 tile over this turn.

3 Winds are not as favourable
as you wish, go 2 tiles

4 Winds are excellant today!
move 3 tiles

5-6 The Gods are with us, my
friend move 4 tiles

I think that after a while of a warbands type campaign of collecting troops, you should have a climactic ending of a HUGE battle between everyone.

Red Gevhere
02-08-2009, 17:47
for my empire army, none of the pirates wear any form of "uniform" nor do that have a color scheme. Actually, what holds them together well as an army is how different each guy is from the next, but the end result is a cohesive rabble of pirates.
The mainstray is free company with pistols and swords and whatnot.
The Swordsmen are also made from freecompany models, but carry a wide array of makeshift bucklers, and shields (whose former owners looked like they walked head first into a grapeshot!!!)
Handgunners painted in a wide array of color (like the militia)
The greatswordsmen i made out of freecompany models carrying the greatswords from the militia box, and painted like the rest of the men.
Get some slayer pirates, a couple great cannons, a couple mortars, a set of leadbelchers (led by the Pirate Maneater!!!!)
and the new Pirate captain of Sartosa model, which i just painted up last week and he is beautiful.
Next plan i have is to add a unit of pirates with boarding pikes