PDA

View Full Version : New recruits for my chaos horde

Destroyerofworlds
03-04-2009, 23:35
I am looking to expand my Chaos army, and am trying to decide what to get.
It is between a unit of raptors and a unit of terminators.

Right now the thing my army lacks is mobility. It is pretty good when it gets going, but slow to react.

I think the raptors would be able to be a reaction/harassment force. Destroying anything that tries to flank me, or in turn harry the enemy flanks.

Terminators on the other hand would be a sledgehammer to try and turn the fight in my favor. Teleport somewhere close to or behind the enemy. Disrupt their plans by striking with a dead hard unit.

What do you think?

DoomedFuture
04-04-2009, 00:06
Terminators. I have the worst luck with my raptors.

maelstrom66669
04-04-2009, 03:56
Im think termies are awesome, I can see the usefulness of raptors too tho, but I vote termies.

A1TEC
04-04-2009, 04:16
Termies are all the way

maelstrom66669
04-04-2009, 04:20
Termies in a landraider are very useful as well, as the enemy usually fears it enough to ignore everything else on the field until they've dealt with it, enabling you to advance everything else. Rhinos become safer, you can run your dreads right next to it, if they go crazy they cant hurt it anyway(unless you have high powered shooty ones).

Ddraiglais
04-04-2009, 04:24
What legion/army do you play? Which choice would be more fluffy? What do you currently have? Have you looked at alternatives, or are those the only two units that appeal to you? A LR could give you mobility and a sledgehammer. Obliterators could do some hammering. Bikes are good to react to your opponent. Are you taking these units for regular 40K or Apocalypse? A hell talon or hellblade could give you a good reaction unit.

Out of your two choices I'd go with termies, but I have a soft spot for them from second edition.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
04-04-2009, 04:59
What legion/army do you play? Which choice would be more fluffy? What do you currently have? Have you looked at alternatives, or are those the only two units that appeal to you? A LR could give you mobility and a sledgehammer. Obliterators could do some hammering. Bikes are good to react to your opponent. Are you taking these units for regular 40K or Apocalypse? A hell talon or hellblade could give you a good reaction unit.

Bah! These questions are irrelevant. There is only one rule:

Terminators > Everything Else. :p

In all seriousness, take whichever one you prefer the models for. Either one performs well on the table top when used carefully, and both have their pros and cons. If you prefer working with plastic (like me) then you'll want to go with terminators. If you're crunched for Elite slots or you really want to save $5 then go with raptors.

EVIL INC
04-04-2009, 13:52
Termies are ok but unreliable. Teleporting is iffy at best due to the likely displacement which can hit dead on, if you roll bad, let your opponant place them anywhere THEY want and anything in between or worse.
Then with the number of power weapons, ap2 and the fact that your termies will likely be assaulted after only one turn of firing means they are unlikely to survive after the first turn they come onto the board.
Of course, termy models rock and they are worth it for coolness value and the new raptor models totally suck compared to the older "winged" ones.
Raptors are much more reliable and more likely to "pay back" thier points.
It is up to you and your personal playstyle though. Use proxies in a few for fun games and then buy the models of the unit you like best.

Blue Orphen
04-04-2009, 16:36
For the most part, I've found that Raptors only work for hunting tanks. 5 or 6 men, 2 meltas. Send them up a flank looking for armour, and they *should* make their points back.

Large squads of them get shot up too quickly, and don't pack much of a punch in CC. Chaos has better CC options (*cough Berzerkers*).

Reaver83
04-04-2009, 16:52
I'd go termi's you have icons for accurate deep strike, and you can tailor them to be good at most things.

Lacking anti tank, take combi melta's. Lacking anti hoard go combi flamers and heavy flamer.

Want more fun in close combat, MOK or MOS with claws!

I run mine as a utility squad, 5 man, 1 heavy flamer, 2 Fists and 4 combi flamers. Give them MOT or MON and they're really tough!

x2wyckedx
04-04-2009, 17:19
I prefer Terminators. I would keep them cheap and put them in a Land Raider. I run mine in a unit of 5 with a heavy flamer and powerfist with IoCG.

Sork21
15-04-2009, 13:46
Termies!!! woohoo! In my experience raptors are poor.

toymaker
15-04-2009, 13:51
Terminators. They can be the rock that your opponents army breaks upon