PDA

View Full Version : (WoTR) Units you love to field!

Reiksguard
04-04-2009, 01:40
What with the official release of War of the Ring tomorrow I thought it might be the fun if folks listed the units the loved to field. Whether you love the models, rules or fluff just rattle off your top three picks! Here are mine:

1. Axemen of Lossarnach: One of the most flexible units I've seen on the field, the ability to switch from pikes to great weapons on the fly is pretty damn nifty. I never really find myself in a situation where my axemen aren't of at least some use

2. Clansmen of Lamedon: while probably not that impressive when compared to choices in the other lists, these boys are the closest thing Gondor has to genuine shock troops. With Strength 4, great weapons, furious charge and the option of including Angbor, these guys are great for Kamikaze charges against monsters or digging small units out of terrain.

3. Knights of Dol Amroth: Cause they're total bastards =)

dtjunkie19
04-04-2009, 02:57
1. Corsair Arbelasters.
2. Corsair Arbelasters.
3. Corsair Arbelasters.

Seriously though I'd say:

1.Corsair Arbelasters- These guys are just unbelievable. 25 points gets you a company armed with crossbows and pavisse shields. These guys are Shoot 4+ Fight 4 defense 6 in the front crossbowmen. And all of that so cheap. And they never get flanked when I play, I anchor them to terrain or other solid infantry blocks (see below).

2.Easterling Cohort- for 30 points a model these guys form a strong core to my fallen realms. I run them in a large formation with The Shadow Lord, Khamul or Dalamyr and they are extremely hard to kill and pack a decent offensive punch as well.

3.Easterling Pikemen- For the same points as uruk-hai pikemen my easterling pikes have 1 less strength but 2 higher defense in the front. They are dead hard and basically just deny my opponents cavalry the half of the board I deploy them in. Again, they are anchored against a table edge or terrain and another unit so are pretty much unflankable as well.

takaetun
04-04-2009, 09:07
Whilst I'm evil, I really do have to go with Swan Knights of Dol Amroth too. F4, S4, C4, 4+ awesome charge of killy death murder... They're possibly the nastiest cavalry unit of the game...

...Whilst the nastiest monster has to be Gulavhar. Almost went with Shelob, but the ability to call a free Heroic Fight every turn (giving him two rounds of combat) wins out. That, and he is armed with, quote, "Fangs, claws and homicidal rage (hand weapon)." :D

Infantry I don't deal so much with. My huge blocks of Harad are there solely to be squishy and die, letting Khamul work his magic. Can I count the Nine are Abroad or the Fellowship as infantry units? :)

huron
04-04-2009, 10:55
I love dol amroth knights because they are one of the cavalry units in the game, black numenoriens because of terror and morranon orcs just + 1 strengh always helps.

Spider-pope
04-04-2009, 12:39
Mine are the following:
1. Clansmen of Lamedon. My choice of armies in 40k and WFB are based primarily on what force i think looks good and it was the Clansmen that swung it for Gondor. They really are fantastic models.

2. Denthors Guard. Rules wise its not going to set the world on fire anytime soon, but i love the Denethor sculpt. Its face is a near perfect version of John Noble so i include these guys when i can just to use him. Like i said i choose my stuff on the visuals. I might not win often, but at least i look good when im losing. The only downside to this unit is Ape-arms Beregond. Gary Morley shouldnt be allowed near the LOTR range. Beregond to me is the Nagash the Clown Lord of LOTR.

3. A unit of Dwarf warriors led by Gimli. I field these for one reason, and one reason only. Baruk Khazad!. There is nothing more fun than tossing a dwarf-based missile at an enemy formation for laughs.

Reinholt
04-04-2009, 19:03
So far:

1 - Buhrdur: half ninja, half troll! The ability to have a monstrous creature that can ambush and use heroic actions and Epic Strike is awesome.

2 - Barrow Wights: ask me about what they did to those Knights of Dol Amroth that Reiksguard mentions. They are the big-ticket item killer in the Angmar army.

fubukii
04-04-2009, 20:53
i personally like half trolls, str 5-9 d5 r2 infantry? yes please!

stonehorse
04-04-2009, 21:22
1. Easterling Cohort, with Pikes, Cursed Armour of Udun, Led by a Dragon Knight, along with a Warpriest, a Banner Bearer, and a Drummer.

Fight Value 8, Defence 8, they are sure to ruin someones day!

2. Casellans of Dul Guldur, there is a reason their points cost is so high!

3. Vault Warden Kinband, Defence 10 plus Fight & Strength 5... ouch!

Gaargod
04-04-2009, 21:28
Dragons with magic.

No seriously, those things are amazing and so much fun. Took a 600pts list with a magical dragon, unit of wargs and the Beastcaller hero mage. Once. Cos it was very silly good.

Unit i most hate is Gimli + Captain + Khazad Guard. Mighty rampage, Epic Rage, Heroic Strike, goes at same speed as cavalry at strength 9 +1 to wound, all successful wounds go again and again and again. Kills about 50 models, and ou have enough might points to do it twice!

Axis
05-04-2009, 01:42
Mine are the following:
1. Clansmen of Lamedon. My choice of armies in 40k and WFB are based primarily on what force i think looks good and it was the Clansmen that swung it for Gondor. They really are fantastic models.

2. Denthors Guard. Rules wise its not going to set the world on fire anytime soon, but i love the Denethor sculpt. Its face is a near perfect version of John Noble so i include these guys when i can just to use him. Like i said i choose my stuff on the visuals. I might not win often, but at least i look good when im losing. The only downside to this unit is Ape-arms Beregond. Gary Morley shouldnt be allowed near the LOTR range. Beregond to me is the Nagash the Clown Lord of LOTR.

3. A unit of Dwarf warriors led by Gimli. I field these for one reason, and one reason only. Baruk Khazad!. There is nothing more fun than tossing a dwarf-based missile at an enemy formation for laughs.

The denethor sculpt is one of the best in the entire GW range imo. It is simple but genius!

Reiksguard
05-04-2009, 03:41
So far:

1 - Buhrdur: half ninja, half troll! The ability to have a monstrous creature that can ambush and use heroic actions and Epic Strike is awesome.

2 - Barrow Wights: ask me about what they did to those Knights of Dol Amroth that Reiksguard mentions. They are the big-ticket item killer in the Angmar army.

I seem to recall you got very lucky that day amigo. Plus that ninja troll of yours was so much chunky salsa by the battle's end ;)

Reinholt
05-04-2009, 03:50
I seem to recall you got very lucky that day amigo. Plus that ninja troll of yours was so much chunky salsa by the battle's end ;)

After he popped out, killed your captain in the knights of Dol'Amroth, and then slaughtered an entire company of pikemen, I might remind you.

And I'm not the one who charged the knights into the Barrow Wights, but for their points, I'm not sure there proved to be anything on that battlefield meaner than those wights. I mean, they're in my army, and even I'm scared of them.

Reiksguard
05-04-2009, 04:02
Damn he called my bluff! ::ninja smoke bombs::

backslide
05-04-2009, 06:56
personally I'm liking the idea of using plenty of ringwraths and alwasy a fellbeast

Lotoc_Sabbath
05-04-2009, 07:17
3 ringwraiths on fell Beast and lots and lots and lots and lots of orks with 3 mumaks and 12 trolls:skull:

C-Coen
05-04-2009, 09:25
Not played with the guy yet, but: the Balrog.
Nearly unkillable, and mows down company after company.
Besides, taking him will result in having to paint waaay fewer Goblins...

miker1
05-04-2009, 12:31
1. Easterling Cohort, with Pikes, Cursed Armour of Udun, Led by a Dragon Knight, along with a Warpriest, a Banner Bearer, and a Drummer.

Fight Value 8, Defence 8, they are sure to ruin someones day!

Only effects the one company for the Fight 8 though, I believe - thats what makes Theoden so nasty; his effects the whole formation!

phoenixshroud
05-04-2009, 14:18
Dragons with magic.

No seriously, those things are amazing and so much fun. Took a 600pts list with a magical dragon, unit of wargs and the Beastcaller hero mage. Once. Cos it was very silly good.

Unit i most hate is Gimli + Captain + Khazad Guard. Mighty rampage, Epic Rage, Heroic Strike, goes at same speed as cavalry at strength 9 +1 to wound, all successful wounds go again and again and again. Kills about 50 models, and ou have enough might points to do it twice!

I saw the Gimli/Dain Ironfoot/captain led formation of Khazad Guard used yesterday at a WOTR launch day battle. It annihilated a large formation of Morannon Orcs and a Mumak with little effort.

Had there had been more cavalry (especially Wargs/Spiders) on the table it would have been outmanouvered and mauled with the prowler rule.

I cannot see how they strike at the same time as cavalry though?

Captain Shrike
05-04-2009, 14:47
Glorfindel. The only character that is a legendary, I love the model and his rule are great. However, 250 pts is WAAAY too overpriced, considered you can get a Mumak for that. All it takes to finish him is lots of shooting. :(

dtjunkie19
05-04-2009, 17:01
Dragons with magic.

Yes I also do not see how they go at the same speed as cavalry or for that matter, what is heroic strike? I believe you mean epic rage and epic rampage. The problem with that is the formation's defense is reduced to 3. So lets say you take 1 company of khazad guard + captain + gimili. Thats 275 points. You charge a formation of 4 companies of orcs. You strike simultaneously. You are defense 3. They hit on a 4. So the orcs would have 20 attacks assuming they are in a 2x2 block, and would only need four 4's to wipe your unit. Yeah he will be dead but you will be as well. And his 4 blocks of orcs, even with a captain would be 110 points. Now that does not sound so scary at all.

And if you take another company or 2 you are jacking up the points by another 50-100.

Reinholt
05-04-2009, 19:27
I just checked both unit entries in my rulebook, and I don't see anything about them going at the same speed as cavalry.

C-Coen
05-04-2009, 20:26
After playing a game today and, about as important, taking a good look in the book, I have to say a nice big formation of Knights of Dol Amroth led by Imrahil is pretty nice indeed.
Favourite company, however, must be Hobbit Militia. Seriously, 10 pts..?!
Another very nice one actually are the spider broodling swarms. D1, yes, but D10 vs archery. Good stuff.

Gaargod
05-04-2009, 22:18
Ok, i may have been cheated. Opponent said it was a epic action called by the captain in the unit (who has 2 or 3 might points i think).

Anyways, its still a pain at lower point values.

Captain Shrike
06-04-2009, 10:28
Captains don't have 2/3 might?!

Marauder
06-04-2009, 17:49
I got in a couple of games this weekend. My favorite units where the Tainted on a fellbeast and a formation of 8 orc companies lead by Khamul. So many spells, and a lot of the focus 3 ones are very good.

With the Tainted I love to go after a unit, sunder spirit, visions of woe and terrifying aura - then charge and you've got decent odds on them failing their terror check and getting more attacks. Swoop attack is great for getting into position (killing is just a bonus). Strength from Corruption is a great spell for killing enemy artillery too.

What can you say about Khamul - just awesome. Essense leach is crazy powerful, especially in a huge unit of chaff. I even played it that if I decided to appoint the wounds to another formation I still took the wounds myself. Its funny cause one turn I called Wings of Terror moved and then called strength from corruption and managed to put more wounds on the enemy! Str 5 on a huge formation is really sweet too.

stonehorse
06-04-2009, 22:38
I'm wondering why no one has mentioned Uruk-Hai Beserkers yet... on paper they look horrid!

They can get +6 to the combat dice when they charge in, and be at strength 10, with +1 to all combat dice!

However they only come in formations of one company.

Babolat360
06-04-2009, 22:43
Saruman with beserkers

Babolat360
06-04-2009, 23:22
A question for Marauder:

If I decide to appoint wounds caused on Khamul's units to another formation, does the unit still take the original number of wounds? The wording is a bit ambiguous..

Thanks

Goruax
06-04-2009, 23:27
My personal favourites:

3: Goblin King with the Crown of Carn Dum
With 4 Might points, Overlord, Inspiring Leader (Goblins) and the 'Cheese it!' Epic, he's pretty versatile, cheap and very useful. With the Crown he can really make your army rock. Love him cause he can be an absolute pain :P

2: Cave Drake, simply because swallowing Khamul the Easterling is hilarious. Though he lost his appetite shortly after :rolleyes:

1: Goblins! Goblins, goblins and more damn goblins. These spry buggers will surprise the hell out of most people. Once combat is begun, their high movement, ability to re-roll Double Checks (yay gobbo drums!) and good courage (see Goblin King!) really pays off as you nip round the back/sides of the enemy and nail them with Prowlers.
Gundabad Blackshields take it a step further with better defence and an extra special rule (for the same cost, hells yeah!) making them a must have for Goblin-lovers (easy on the imagination tiger...)

Oh, and there's a veritable f***ton of them.

Shove a Ringwraith (Knight of Umbar for sneakiness) in there and they aren't actually bad, bar the fight values.

So give the little guys a try, all these tall people give me vertigo ;)

dtjunkie19
07-04-2009, 02:10
A question for Marauder:

If I decide to appoint wounds caused on Khamul's units to another formation, does the unit still take the original number of wounds? The wording is a bit ambiguous..

Thanks

Let me answer that for you. No the hits "wounds" are not still taken.

From the book Pg 163: "Whenever khamul's formation suffers a hit...that hit is instead discounted or applied to a formation within 12 inches"

Now mind you if khamul's formation takes 10 hits (normally 10 casualties in an infantry formation), you roll for each hit separately, not all in one d6 roll.

Axis
07-04-2009, 02:28
My personal favourites:

3: Goblin King with the Crown of Carn Dum
With 4 Might points, Overlord, Inspiring Leader (Goblins) and the 'Cheese it!' Epic, he's pretty versatile, cheap and very useful. With the Crown he can really make your army rock. Love him cause he can be an absolute pain :P

2: Cave Drake, simply because swallowing Khamul the Easterling is hilarious. Though he lost his appetite shortly after :rolleyes:

1: Goblins! Goblins, goblins and more damn goblins. These spry buggers will surprise the hell out of most people. Once combat is begun, their high movement, ability to re-roll Double Checks (yay gobbo drums!) and good courage (see Goblin King!) really pays off as you nip round the back/sides of the enemy and nail them with Prowlers.
Gundabad Blackshields take it a step further with better defence and an extra special rule (for the same cost, hells yeah!) making them a must have for Goblin-lovers (easy on the imagination tiger...)

Oh, and there's a veritable f***ton of them.

Shove a Ringwraith (Knight of Umbar for sneakiness) in there and they aren't actually bad, bar the fight values.

So give the little guys a try, all these tall people give me vertigo ;)

I've been looking at goblins and drooling a bit. The only downside is painting so many... still i think the humble goblin is severely underrated.

Spider-pope
07-04-2009, 09:01
Ok, i may have been cheated. Opponent said it was a epic action called by the captain in the unit (who has 2 or 3 might points i think).

Anyways, its still a pain at lower point values.

Sounds like he used At the Double, you pass a Courage test and can move again. Its just not an Epic Action, its one any hero, including captains can do.

Babolat360
07-04-2009, 09:10
Thanks dtjunkie19!

rakath
07-04-2009, 10:13
Haven't had much time reading the book, so I can't tell yet which are my favourite units.

I'm going to use lots of trolls, though. I just love the minis!
I like the fact that even the troll drummer has a function in WotR.

Stone Giant was a bit of a let-down, though. I would've wanted some fun and characterful special rules for it, like it has in Five Armies.
Oh well.

Gaargod
07-04-2009, 11:22
Ok thanks Spider-People, i will be having words with him... After he meets my crossbows+dragon+trolls army of course :D

Stone giants are amazingly hitty tho. 6 S9 attacks each, at a reasomable defense with extremely hard to kill makes them pretty damm evil. Especially once you consider you can quite easily get 3 into a 1k army :)

ShotAtDawn
07-04-2009, 11:59
Not Sure why, But I am drawn toward the Dark Marshall. Interesting power to boost the FV of a formation within 12". Think this power could help quite a few evil forces gain extra dice for combat when they cant have a HERO in the formation. Lets hope it doesnt stack if he calls a heroic strike.

C-Coen
07-04-2009, 13:21
I've been looking at goblins and drooling a bit. The only downside is painting so many... still i think the humble goblin is severely underrated.

Check out the Tale of WotR painters, my gobs are in there, looking not too bad tough being very easy to paint. Which is a must, seeing I'm going to get at least 96 of 'em...