PDA

View Full Version : Best heavy support?

A1TEC
04-04-2009, 03:45
I am starting a Black Templar 3000 point army and I do not know what are the heavy support options.:skull:

maelstrom66669
04-04-2009, 04:00
Well, they have the Landraider Crusader, which is believe is pretty much specifically for them, worth looking into.

A1TEC
04-04-2009, 04:09
Well, they have the Landraider Crusader,

Yes I am putting a Land raider crusader in.

I was more wondering if I should put a vindacator, Predator Destructor or Predator annihilator.

Also is the new Thunderfire cannon able to be used in a Black Templars army:skull:

Sir_Lunchalot
04-04-2009, 04:21
Is it in your codex?

Warforger
04-04-2009, 05:06
Vindicator+PoTMS

JCOLL
04-04-2009, 05:13
No Thunderfire for you!

pkain762
04-04-2009, 05:31
I agree with warforger.... vindicators and power of the machine spirit X 3

they are cheap and the huge str 10 pie plates are awesome.....
plus you can have your land raider crusader as dedicated transports for your terminators and crusader squads....

and yes NO THUNDER CANNON POUR VOUS

it's not in your book and the FAQ says you can't use it

plus thunder cannons aren't very black templary

kain

freelancer
04-04-2009, 06:39
As everyone has said before. Vindicators and LRCs are insane working toughter. And have a unit of close combat terminators running either in the LRC or on foot with a majority with lighitng claws and give them furios charge. Take accept any challange on your emperors champion and wolla your running a unit thats Str 5 I 5 rerolling misses and hits and on the charge your lighitng claws have 4 attacks each. Thow them in a crusader (or have multipule crusaders just to be a d1ck) with vindicator support.

Its an epic combo.

pkain762
05-04-2009, 01:26
ie... terminators are str 4 not 5 free lancer

and the emps champ cant be in a land raider with a mob of black templars.... he cannot join a unit, so he can't ride in their ded transport

sucks but it's the truth.....

kain

Dexter099
05-04-2009, 01:34
Don't take a Land Raider. They are inefficient and a waste of points.

Stick to Predators for firepower, as well as Devastator squads with Heavy Bolters for Anti-Inf.

Grand Master Raziel
05-04-2009, 01:55
ie... terminators are str 4 not 5 free lancer

When they're Furiously Charging they are (Furious Charge bonus on the charge).

and the emps champ cant be in a land raider with a mob of black templars.... he cannot join a unit, so he can't ride in their ded transport

That's not correct. Reread the entry for the Emperor's Champion on p31. It states that he may not join Command Squads. There's nothing in there about him not joining Crusader Squads, or Sword Brethren Squads.

A1TEC
05-04-2009, 03:31
Black Templars cannot have Devastator Squads.

They can only have Vindicators, Predators, Land Raiders and Land Raider Crusaders

zombied00d
05-04-2009, 03:33
Templars don't get dev squads.

A1TEC
05-04-2009, 03:46
Templars don't get dev squads.

To make this absolutely clear templars don't have Dev Squads:skull:

Grand Master Raziel
05-04-2009, 04:45
Well, here's what I'm thinking. Black Templars are fighty, so you're going to want to be getting them into combat quickly. However, due to quirks of the rules, they're going to find themselves more vulnerable to Monstrous Creatures than would other SM armies (not getting as much return from power fists in their squads being the primary reason). So, you want Heavy Support than can take them out from a standoff distance. Lacking Dev Squads, the only thing that can reasonably do that is a Predator with a twin linked lascannon (TLLC) turret and lascannon sponsons. That'll help against enemy tanks, too.

Another thing you should be concerned about is assault units that have higher initiative than your BT squads. Here, I'm thinking of things like Eldar Howling Banshees and Tyranid Genestealers. Your best answer to those things is heavy flamers. The platforms for heavy flamers (HFs) you have available to you are Dreadnoughts and Land Speeders. Speeders are the better of the two for getting HFs into position to actually burn things, so you'll want a couple of those, too. You can also equip them with multimeltas, to help you crack heavy armor.

RichBlake
05-04-2009, 04:57
Vindicator+PoTMS

Ummm why?

I'm pretty sure the Templar PotMS specifcally states that you can fire an extra weapon if you have moved 6" or under (i.e the old, old version) meaning that you can move 6" and fire ordanance.

The only advantage I can see is that you can't stop it from shooting in any way other then destroying the main gun, which probably isn't worth the points you pay to be honest (unless it's like 5 points of course).

Vindicators ARE good though. Since Templars like getting close anyway then they suit the army fine, it's not a case of stuff isolated at the back, it advances with the rest.

Warforger
05-04-2009, 05:02
If it suffers a Crew Shaken or Crew Stunned, it can move and shoot as normal, except that it has BS2.

Thats just nasty.

RichBlake
05-04-2009, 05:14
If it suffers a Crew Shaken or Crew Stunned, it can move and shoot as normal, except that it has BS2.

Thats just nasty.

Why can it move as normal? Wouldn't that require extra armour too?

Depending on the points cost and the level at which the game was played depends if I'd take it.

If I take two vindicators and PotMS is 20 points each (guessed points cost) then at 1500 points thats another 40 points I could be spending on other stuff to give me more guys or make my current guys pack a bigger punch.

At 2000 I'd probably slap them on, 40 points being less noticeable.

Warforger
05-04-2009, 05:35
They can do everything as normal, only difference is that they have BS2.

dooms33ker
05-04-2009, 05:39
hey sorry to butt in but i posted a thread in the fantasy section and have waited but it hasn't gone up did the moderators see it or do i have to wait till tomorrow.

RichBlake
05-04-2009, 05:55
They can do everything as normal, only difference is that they have BS2.

Eh? I don't remember that part!

Will have to assault the Black Templar codex kept at my gaming club next time I'm there :p