PDA

View Full Version : What Dark Elf Deathstars can you do?

bob_the_small
04-04-2009, 09:37
I would like to know what DE deathstars you can do.
Please give suggestions.

fubukii
04-04-2009, 12:08
you have plenty of options, the best 2 being shades or bg

Dr.Mercury
04-04-2009, 14:44
I use a beefed out BG unit, but I am not sure it qualifies as a "deathstar"

I take 15 BG Usually putting a BSB in there with Armor of Darkness and the Crimson Death.
The unit champion gets the obligatory Ring of Hotek, and the unit gets the banner of Hag Graef.
Usually they are a super tar-pit unit, that will stop damn near anything in the enemy army.
I tried them the other week with Crone Helebron. They got a charge on a unit of chaos warriors, crone killed 8 by herself, then the unit killed 3 more. warriors ran, I over ran and hit a unit of chaos knights in the flank that were behind them, and did the same thing there.
Crone Helebron in an ASF BG unit is DEADLY!

huron
04-04-2009, 16:51
nothing to do with this thread but can hellebron join a bg unit as she is on a manticore.

bob_the_small
04-04-2009, 19:30
Crone hellebrone has an option to have a manticore, it is not obligatory.
Also your BSB cannot have magic items Mercury....

kyussinchains
04-04-2009, 21:27
Also your BSB cannot have magic items Mercury....

why not? he doesnt have a magic standard..... the ASF banner is carried by the black guard standard bearer.

I like that unit, it's better to swap the ring of hotek and crimson death, give the BSB a great weapon and you're no worse off, still S6 ASF...... that way you get an extra 3 S6 attacks from the champion, with the re-roll misses every round rule to boot.

wingedserpant
04-04-2009, 21:44
Units of ten shades or 15 to twenty black guard with no magic banners.

chivalrous
04-04-2009, 21:49
Hmm, I'd be interested to try it out with a Dark Rider Unit.
My list is rather vague as I can't get to my book right now:

BSB: Dark Steed, Full Armour*, Banner of Hag Graef, Lance.
Lord: Dark Steed, Regen armour, Shield, SDC, ring of Hotek, Crimson Death.
Master: Dark Steed, Full Armour, Pendant, Whip of Agony (I have a feeling this breaks the magic allowance).
Master: Dark Steed, Full armour, 3 Null stones, Lance.

Lots of Dark Riders.

It's obscenely fast, 18" charge!, with only Elven Elite Cavalry and Slaanesh Cavalry being quick enough to outmanoeuver it. Oh and flyers of course :(

The trouble is, that it does seem rather light on magic defence, the ring isn't infallible after all and MR 3 isn't always going to be enough, even with 2 pool dice to use as well.

*(Sea Dragon Cloak, Heavy Armour, Shield)

theunwantedbeing
04-04-2009, 21:53
Noble BsB, Banner of Nagarythe
Noble, Ring of Hotek
Sorceress 3x nullstones

All in a unit of 225 spearmen, nothing else. (there are 2 units of 10 naked warriors as well to fill the min core)
Unbreakable unit, cast a spell at it, any double is a miscast, the unit has magical resistance(3) As well as 3 normal dispel dice to try and throw at spells that go its way as well(which it can add upto 3 dice to if it wants to)

The unit sits with its back to you the entire game so that you cannot engage any of the character's in the front rank.

Whitesox
04-04-2009, 22:19
Noble BsB, Banner of Nagarythe
Noble, Ring of Hotek
Sorceress 3x nullstones

All in a unit of 225 spearmen, nothing else. (there are 2 units of 10 naked warriors as well to fill the min core)
Unbreakable unit, cast a spell at it, any double is a miscast, the unit has magical resistance(3) As well as 3 normal dispel dice to try and throw at spells that go its way as well(which it can add upto 3 dice to if it wants to)

The unit sits with its back to you the entire game so that you cannot engage any of the character's in the front rank.

ok so you win that game by killing the other core units and ignore the spearmen..... its very easy to kill 2 or 3 core units with a whole army without suffering any casulities yourself

Dr.Mercury
04-04-2009, 22:28
why not? he doesnt have a magic standard..... the ASF banner is carried by the black guard standard bearer.

I like that unit, it's better to swap the ring of hotek and crimson death, give the BSB a great weapon and you're no worse off, still S6 ASF...... that way you get an extra 3 S6 attacks from the champion, with the re-roll misses every round rule to boot.
Bingo!:)
And that is a very good point about the champion!

The only reason the Master is a BSB is I pay the points to make him one. I never actually buy a magic banner for a BSB, they get too expensive IMO. but in a unit like this that is stubborn, the reroll on break tests is really really good!

bob_the_small
05-04-2009, 11:29
A good deathstar IMO

11 COK /w full comand, ASF banner, ring of hotek on the champ
BSB /w Hydra Banner, HA, SDC, Cold One, Lance, shield
Lord /w Armour of Darkness, Caledors Bane, Cold One, Ring of Darkness
Master /w SDC, HA, Pearl Of Infinite Bleakness, Death Piercer, Cold One, shield
Master /w SDC, HA, Cold one, 3 null talismans, Lance, shield

So you have a unit with 5 str 7 attacks (LORD), 11 str 6 attacks (COK and MASTERS /w lances), 4 str 6 attacks /w killing blow(MASTER /w DEATHPIERCER), 10 str 4 attacks (COLD ONES), a static combat res of 4, immune to psychology, magic resistance 3, any shooting at them has the ballistic skill halved that always strikes first at base initiative 5.

That unit costs : 1198 pts

Then you can add in 3 core of 5 dark riders /w xbows
a hydra
5 shades
5 more COK
A cold one chariot
and 5 harpies