PDA

View Full Version : Why do Tau vehicle all have fish names?

Far Seer
04-04-2009, 23:44
I looked at every single tau vehicle and they all have 'fishy names' devilfish, hammerhead, skyray, barrucuda, manta etc. Why???

Ganymene
04-04-2009, 23:46
Because Tau are fishmen (and fishwomen).

So they have suitably fish-themed names.

Bodysnatcher
04-04-2009, 23:49
Because the game designers pick a theme and go with it (see Imperial Guard and mythical monster names).

Sir_Turalyon
05-04-2009, 00:02
It's likely that these are nicknames used by Imperial Guard, rather then actual Tau names. Guard givng fish names to vehicles of fishmen they fight against makes perfect sense.

Lord Damocles
05-04-2009, 00:22
Why are Terminator weapons and Landspeeder variants given 'stormy' names?

It's just a naming convention to tie various groups of weapons/vehicles etc. together.

Lord Cook
05-04-2009, 00:34
Vehicles from given armies have themes. It just so happens that the Tau theme is based on aquatic creatures. This certainly isn't unique to the Tau. Just look at some of these, and tell me you don't see two distinct patterns...

Mythical and extremely dangerous creatures:
Hydra
Manticore
Hellhound
Griffon
Medusa
Basilisk
Chimera
Centaur

Statements of intent:
Demolisher
Vanquisher
Exterminator
Conqueror
Executioner
Annihilator
Punisher
Eradicator

Bregalad
05-04-2009, 00:35
These are Imperial nicknames (Tau is a desert planet!), inspired by the Hammerhead-like front of said tank (then going on with devilfish and skyray for obvious reasons).

onnotangu
05-04-2009, 01:10
as long as your commander is not named steve irwin. you should be safe from the tau. :D

Axis
05-04-2009, 01:18
as long as your commander is not named steve irwin. you should be safe from the tau. :D

As an Australian i feel that i have to say LOL!

Codsticker
05-04-2009, 01:57
I wonder when they are going to come out with the Tau Cuttlefish?

blameless
05-04-2009, 02:04
as a New Zealander I feel that I have to say CRIKEY!

PhantomRonin
05-04-2009, 02:17
Irwin: "Nao you see the beau-tiful strategies of the Tau. They are craftier creatures then the Craftworld Eldar. Thay even use the ayd of otha aylien speecies. Look I think I see a squad of CRIK- *blasted by a SKYRAY*"

(Bad spelling intentional as is bad joke)

Col. Tartleton
05-04-2009, 02:28
I'm still not sure where the fish man thing came from. They're hooved grey skinned nose less animals. I'd say horsemen before i say fish men.

The only fish like thing about them may be the smell from their head slits...

Though the helmets may prevent them being smelled.

The names are Imperial Translations not nicknames. The Tau vehicle names in the Tau language correspond to naval predators from T'au. They're not quite what they call them, I believe the devil fish is referring to a type of T'au shark.

Hellebore
05-04-2009, 02:29
It's a bit inconsistent really. Eldar vehicles seem to be named literally with no Imperial designations. Necron vehicles have singularly boring names, monolith, pylon. Just synonyms for big imposing phallic thing (like wot's in ma pants!).

Ork vehicles are pretty unimaginative (although spleenrippa and lungbursta I suppose are pretty creative).

Tau vehicles seem to be one of the few not given a name by their owners. The Imperial designations seem very similar to the NATO designations of USSR aircraft.

Hellebore

Lord Malorne
05-04-2009, 02:40
Because Tau are fishmen (and fishwomen).

So they have suitably fish-themed names.

Actualy they are sheepmen and sheepwomen.

Orcboy_Phil
05-04-2009, 03:06
Are Tau kosher? Do they chew cud?

A1TEC
05-04-2009, 04:03
The designers probably went to an aquarium just before they created tau for ideas.

spaint2k
05-04-2009, 05:16
Where's the ultra-serious brigade to tell you that the Steve Irwin joke was in bad taste?

I guess their part of the world hasn't woken up yet.

Steve

Deadmanwade
05-04-2009, 05:26
According to the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer (Damocles Gulf Edition), the Tau are a race of herd animals.
What common farm animal sounds like "tau"?

Mooooo!!!

Inquisitor_Tolheim
05-04-2009, 05:30
I'm still not sure where the fish man thing came from. They're hooved grey skinned nose less animals. I'd say horsemen before i say fish men.

The only fish like thing about them may be the smell from their head slits...

Though the helmets may prevent them being smelled.

http://tauonline.org/Article/254/TheoryTaubloodisblueandhereswhy/

My current favorite theory concerning tau physiology. It makes them closer to molluscs and horseshoe crabs then horses or fish. Of course this closeness would be similar to a human's "closeness" to Eomaia scansoria. Divergent evolutionary paths and all that.

Similarly, having such ancestry would explain their pechant for naming ships after aquatic predators. Something primitive that relates violence to those species perhaps?

ColdWind
05-04-2009, 06:52
Where's the ultra-serious brigade to tell you that the Steve Irwin joke was in bad taste?

Those of us on 'that' side of the world don't take life seriously enough to be offended - that seems to be more of a northern hemisphere issue.

ozzyboy
05-04-2009, 07:06
But were turning this into another "origin of the tau" thread. Im going to go with the pervious post and say its a theme, and one that works well imo. Secondly, im going to be ornery and say that not all vehicles are. ORCA is a sea mammal.

Hellebore
05-04-2009, 07:14
http://tauonline.org/Article/254/TheoryTaubloodisblueandhereswhy/

My current favorite theory concerning tau physiology. It makes them closer to molluscs and horseshoe crabs then horses or fish. Of course this closeness would be similar to a human's "closeness" to Eomaia scansoria. Divergent evolutionary paths and all that.

Similarly, having such ancestry would explain their pechant for naming ships after aquatic predators. Something primitive that relates violence to those species perhaps?

Well although that article may be true in the theory behind why tau blood is blue, it in no way assures an identical evolutionary path as earth based organisms. It would be like saying that an alien with feathers MUST lay eggs and have hollow bones.

They could have easily lived on an oxygen rich planet that required less efficient carrying systems without ever having to be related to molluscs in the slightest. If the oxygen is too rich it may even make it harder for haemoglobin to let go of the oxygen making it relatively 'worse' than haemocyanin (which is a really dumb name) and thus molluscs on T'au may have had that whilst everything else had haemocyanin.

Hellebore

Yarick Zan
05-04-2009, 07:15
I am laughing somewhat at the people in this thread debating Tau physiology. It's GW. They can make the Tau whatever they want to be.

Though to be honest what I am in favor of is the simple answer that can be gained through reading the discovery part in the Tau Empire codex.

It specifically says the Tau are a savanna dwelling species in that paragraph, but it also says T'au is a mostly dry and arid world, meaning there is some water, but probably very little of it. One could think like the African savanna, or even the Mongolian Steppe.

But anyways I think it was explained in something that is GW official that all Tau tanks are Imperial designations.

Bregalad
05-04-2009, 09:26
The names are Imperial Translations not nicknames. The Tau vehicle names in the Tau language correspond to naval predators from T'au. They're not quite what they call them, I believe the devil fish is referring to a type of T'au shark.
Unless you give some credible reference, I don't believe that Xenos from a desert planet name their tanks after marine fishes from earth. Next you tell me that the Carnifex got its name because the Hive Mind watched a Middle Ages documentary on Discovery Channel.;)

GeneralDisaster
05-04-2009, 09:29
Because that's what they're filed under by the Water Caste!

StormWulfen
05-04-2009, 09:37
Mythical and extremely dangerous creatures:
Hydra
Manticore
Hellhound
Griffon
Medusa
Basilisk
Chimera
Centaur

you forgot leman russ? he's a mythical and dangerouse creature isn't he?:p