PDA

View Full Version : Templars or Salamanders

A1TEC
05-04-2009, 02:30
I have been tinking that I would like to create a new army and I was wondering what is better Templars or Salamanders.

I want to know what you think.

I am either doing a 3000 points army of either or 1500pts - 2000pts of both.

Please let me know what you think and what you would put in any of these army choices.:chrome:

Khorne warrior
05-04-2009, 03:22
I think templars have the better fluff and I generally like them more.

freelancer
05-04-2009, 03:35
Black Templars because they have better fluff, better special rules and they have their own codex. With salamanders your pretty much ultramariens with a diffrent colour scheme and a named leader.

freelancer

dal9ll
05-04-2009, 04:32
Im gonna say Salamanders. They have a better color scheme, better characters, and whats not to love about taking lots of flamers, LRR's, and meltas?

blackroyal
05-04-2009, 04:33
Templars, if only to prevent one more person from using a Vulkan list.

Honestly I played Templars as my first army and have always loved them. There is something very cool about crusaders.

Elrond12
05-04-2009, 05:23
TEMPLERS! They have better fluff,a cooler look and they are son of Dorn...nuff said!:D

Donblas
05-04-2009, 05:27
Salamanders, im tired of seeing the 20 million landraider Templar list. It is the only list I ever see with Templars plus I like the salamanders paint scheme much cooler looking then the black and white.

Reflex
05-04-2009, 08:05
let me sum it up in a nutshell:

Salamanders = easier victories and play style.
Templars= Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Poseidal
05-04-2009, 09:34
Salamanders are cooler.

Templars have nice models, but their approach seems a bit silly and they took their away the medieval theme from the Dark Angels and combined it with the Close Combatyness of the Blood Angels and taking the 'non-codex approach' from the Space Wolves.

Tyruin son of Ages
05-04-2009, 09:57
Yeh i agree with Poseidal, they are really a kind of take-off other legions.
I'd go for salamanders.

Davanael
05-04-2009, 10:54
I'd go for Slamanders without a thought, sure they don't have a codex, but from what I have read and found on the chapter, I like them alot more then the frenzied Templars.
Master crafted flamers, meltas and the Redeemer, yummy!

Brother Enok
05-04-2009, 12:07
Templars, if only to prevent one more person from using a Vulkan list.

With salamanders your pretty much ultramariens with a diffrent colour scheme and a named leader.

Heaven forbid someone should make a Salamanders list that dosn't have Vulkan, and is themed with unit selection and weapon options.

I mean, that would be unthinkable, wouldn't it.

Fixer
05-04-2009, 12:36
and most people seem to overstate Vulkan's abilities. 33% more hits on melta weapons, 50% more wounds on flamers? Compared of course to an equal chaos list where you could just take two of each special weapon, get 100% more damage plus extra CC attacks.

To be honest, if you're painting an army go for the one that you relate to the most or find the most fun. Rules change, army power waxes and wanes, but a colour scheme and playstyle you love you'll keep using forever.

isidril93
05-04-2009, 20:28
i say templars

5Pointer
05-04-2009, 20:31
I say Salamanders, but only if you paint all the unit banners completely black like they should be.

the_reaper
05-04-2009, 21:08
Both, alternate, then you won't get bored of painting the same thing over and over.

Templars are very cool, and i love their codex and they are pretty unique in their play-style compared to other marine armies.

Salamanders- new stuff from the Marine Codex, hot things etc etc

I still think both, if you get two halves of two armies, just mix em together for a cool armageddon force :D

-reaper

A1TEC
05-04-2009, 23:32
You have all made a good point, I think that I will go with both and if I like a certain one more than I will just expand the army.

Robineng
05-04-2009, 23:34
I have to say Black Templars, I like their fluff better, the colour scheme is easy to get to look impressive even with little brushwork... And they have their own codex and stand out from other space marines.

TheDarkDuke
05-04-2009, 23:39
Both. On top of that, both Chapters have worked together in the past and present without issues, would be cool if you play a 2v2 game or apocalypse to united the two one more time.

The Anarchist
05-04-2009, 23:40
the one reason i say aganst Salamanders is they are another codex marine armie, so they are the love child of GW and will be given every new toy they can think of every time they realise another army needs doing first.

templars on the other hand love to get up close and killy, and ahve the extra means to do so. quite a fan personaly of them. so i ahve a slanted view on them.

Charistoph
05-04-2009, 23:53
You could always have your own chapter. 1st Company is Deathwing, 2nd follow Black Templars Codex. 3rd is Space Wolves, 4th is Blood Angels, 5th is Ultramarine, 6th is Crimson Fist/Imperial Fist, 7th Ravenwing, 8th company is White Scars, 9th is Salamanders, 10th is Scout.

There you go, all fluffy, you can use the all the codeci, and you don't have to repaint your guys.

Cypher, the Emperor
06-04-2009, 00:00
Just rules wise, Templars are wicked good in 5th edition.

Fluff wise I just cant get behind sallies with their new skintone, and flamer obsession.

Brother Enok
06-04-2009, 00:06
Thier skintone isn't new, and niether is thier obsession with flamers.

Straha
06-04-2009, 00:07
Take both then do a Steel Legion when the New Imperial Codex is released. The Battle for Armageddon lives.

Actually, I have a Space Marine Company I'm thinking of doing up as Salamanders and I already have some Black Tmeplars..

Darkhorse
06-04-2009, 00:58
Sallys for me, I've been wanting to do an army of these since 2nd Ed.
Although they don't have any fancy special rules beyond a special character in this edition they really shouldn't be confused as a "codex chapter", anyone who does so should be chastised for ignorance of background.
Each company contains the full range of troops from Scouts to Termies, in much the same way as Space Wolves, due to thier method of recruitment.
They give far better scope for buffing up with wargear due to their artizan skills, and superb opportunities for incredible paint jobs with flame motifs, whereas the majorioty of Black templars are invariably just sprayed black with skull white plastered over their shoulder pads, no highlighting, rarely even chapter symbols.

blackroyal
06-04-2009, 01:19
Heaven forbid someone should make a Salamanders list that dosn't have Vulkan, and is themed with unit selection and weapon options.

I mean, that would be unthinkable, wouldn't it.
I have yet to see such a list. I have personally played a few people that "bandwagon-ed" the Vulkan list. I am aware that some players do play that way. However, it seems that whenever Salamanders come up Vulkan is a default.

Ubermensch Commander
06-04-2009, 06:44
Salamanders without Vulkan. That way you are playing an awesome army, without needing special rules to have "charcter".
Feh, I remember when Templars were a blurb in codex Ultramarines of second edition.

Also, play something that requires some tactics. Black Templars have the "We got shot! Lets charge some more!" rule which just sets my teeth agrinding. The elite strike force of the Imperium....running at the gun emplacements like Orks or Berserkers?

@ Blackroyal
Me, right here. No need for special characters. Salamanders are awesome. Have been since Third. And my friend plays White Scars.without the special character. While I acknowledge that Vulkan is an awesome character and alot of folks probably use him one really does not need a SC or Special Snowflake rule to make a characterful army. It does not necessarily detract from an army, but it does not necessarily add anything either, other than rules.

A1TEC
07-04-2009, 04:27
Why has everyone got a problem with Vulkan.
He gives you sweet tactical advantages.
It is also lots of fun converting a model for him.

Templar Ben
07-04-2009, 04:40
As a Templars player let me say go and play Salamanders.

DarkPrince
07-04-2009, 08:16
I reacon I'd make my own Chapter!

Darkhorse
07-04-2009, 08:58
Why has everyone got a problem with Vulkan.
He gives you sweet tactical advantages.
It is also lots of fun converting a model for him.

Because he gives you monotonous, predictable tactical advantages, leading to a an army based around his special rules and lacking actual individuality and character.

conno1984
07-04-2009, 10:34
Templars all the way :chrome::evilgrin::evilgrin:

mughi3
07-04-2009, 11:05
It really depends on the play style you prefer.

do you sdee yourself as the-

.fraothing mad close combat monsters that charge forward when you kill thier buddies.

"he just shot bob! i am so gonna kick his #$%@"

Or do you prefer master artesians who burn, melt and if neccisary hammer their foes into oblivion all while being rather decent to their fellow non-astartes human brothers....and they have dragons, always a plus in my book.
:p :D

Marshal Augustine
07-04-2009, 16:57
I am heavily biased towards Templars. But thats just me. Black and white is easier to paint. And close combat is better than shooting when you are better at it than almost all other armies on the field!
Re rolls for shooting certain weapons, or re rolls on ALL cc attacks?... I prefer the cc option. There are more close combat phases = more chances to take advantage of the rule.
On the other side, I would take salamanders because of all the new toys. AKA redeemer... Gotta love that tank.

A1TEC
08-04-2009, 06:22
I have been thinking over the last few days and I have decided to do a 1500pts army and then go from there.

I have almost finished my 5000 point Ultramarines army, so I was thinking of doing templars to 2000pts and add a baneblade for a Apocalypse 7500 point army.

Go the Imperium.

I also have a 500 point ork and 500 point eldar army.

So all up a 8500 point Apocalypse army

Mealstrom
08-04-2009, 07:02
I play Black Templars. So of course I'm going to say go for them. In all honesty I don't have much trouble beating a Salamander player. Flamers and Meltas are great and all, if I let you shoot them. But why do that when I can rush you into Close Combat where Preferred Enemy + 30 attacks (neophyte attacks not included) means on average 12ish dead marines on a charge.

Honestly play what you want based on what you consider to be cool. Not "the best" or anything. If your trying to persuade yourself to not play an army, well that's actually the army you really want to play ;)

Brother Enok
08-04-2009, 17:23
I have yet to see such a list. I have personally played a few people that "bandwagon-ed" the Vulkan list. I am aware that some players do play that way. However, it seems that whenever Salamanders come up Vulkan is a default.

Then check the army lists forum for my list. Its been the same since late 4th ed and is a solid, background themed list.