PDA

View Full Version : Mixed bag 2250 WOC

Cartoon
05-04-2009, 03:55
Hey everyone. To be frank, I'm not the most competative or skilled player out there and winning isn't my number one concern, so my list may reflect that. That said, I would appreciate some input on tweaking it or if the basic premise of the list is viable. Any comments are welcome.

Ok here it is:

Sorc Lrd of Tzeentch: Lvl 4, infernal puppet, armor of morrisleb, disc 380pts

Sorcerer of Nurgle: Lvl 2, Dispel Scroll, Chaos Steed 181pts

Exalted Champ of Slaanesh: Roar, E. Shield, Flail, Chariot of Slaanesh, 264pts

Core:

2 X 18 Marauders of Slaanesh, L Armor, Sh, Mu, 122pts

2 x 5 Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh, LArmor, Flails, TAxes, Mu, 106pts

2 x 6 Warhounds, 36pts

Special:

6 Knights of Tzeentch: Std, Blasted Standard, 320 pts

1 Chariot of Slaanesh: 130pts

12 Chosen of Slaanesh: Shields, Halbards, Champ (Favor of Gods), Std, Rapturous Standard, 315pts

Rare:

Warshrine 130pts

Total pts: 2248
Power Dice: 8, Dispel Dice: 5, Model Count: 82

I wanted to stay way from putting all my eggs in one basket while also trying something a little different so I figured two chariots would be fun to try. If anyone has experience with how well characters do while riding a chariot I'd love to hear it.

Are the marauder blocks big enough to hold enemy units in place long enough to slam a chariot into their flanks? I want to try to keep the army together as much as possible and have my knights and sorcerers pick off any skirmishers and flyers while the main body of my army slowly moves down the field.

Once again all comments are welcome and appreciated, if for nothing else to help me pass the time while I get over the flu.

SiNNiX
05-04-2009, 06:15
Alright bud, let me see if I can point you in the right direction. Before I start, I'll point out that I recognize you're not too concerned with winning so feel free to ignore my advice where you choose.

First of all, I'd get rid of the shrine. Alot of people like it but me personally: I don't like things that I have to roll on a table for; I've seen countless situations where it's done nothing useful the whole game and could end up being 130pts of nothing. I know it can do nice things but usually just does something you have no use for.

Secondly, in my experience it's better to put characters in cavalry units for some protection. If you played TK it'd be a different story, but sadly chariots just don't offer the protection you need.

I'd also consider giving Mark of Nugle to your knights. In addition, I'd consider giving them frenzy banner unless you want to be more tactical with them and use them as flank-charges, in which case the frenzy might do more harm than help.

Also, give that sorcerer another scroll. Gotta have atleast two.

I'd also consider giving Mark of Tzeentch to your Marauder Horsemen. Those guys with ward saves can be quite funny. Keep the flails.

You also might want to consider taking away the armour on your Marauders and give them Mark of Khorne and flails. It's funny that you can get a model with 2 S5 attacks that's immune to psychology (due to Frenzy) and costs 5pts a model lol. And if they get shot at... who cares!? It's also an opportunity to get some rank and banner bonuses that you wouldn't get elsewhere in the army.

I would get rid of the Chosen and just take normal warriors. Cheaper and practically just as good; EOTG roll isn't worth the extra pts imo. You have to build the rest of your strategy for the remainder of the battle based on the result of the roll. UNRELIABILITY FTL!

Try to squeeze in giant w/ mark of slaanesh.

Hope this helped you at all.

SiNNiX
05-04-2009, 06:16
Are the marauder blocks big enough to hold enemy units in place long enough to slam a chariot into their flanks?

In most cases, especially if you split them up into smaller units and spread them out a little more.

Cartoon
05-04-2009, 16:28
In regards to the shrine, I had some extra points that I wasn't sure what to do with. Part of me wanted to cut something in order to get a hellcannon but I couldn't figure out what. By cutting the shrine I should be able to move the exalted into the knights and keep the second chariot as well.

I like the chosen models too much to cut them, unfortunately. Would Slaanesh marauders with flails be ok? I'm thinking about changing the lvl 2 mark to Tzeentch and just have a mixed Tzeentch and Slaanesh force. Luckily I already have about 30 of the old-school marauders with flails ready to roll.

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

Cartoon
06-04-2009, 03:15
Alright here is an updated list. I dropped the warshrine in favor of beefing up my characters. For now I'm planning on running the exalted in a chariot because it sounds like it will be a lot of fun, but ultimatly I'll probably take your advice and put him on a steed instead. I also dropped the shields and armor off the marauders so I could add some more bodies to the unit, although I'm not positive that it will work the way I want it too.

Sorc Lrd of Tzeentch: Lvl 4, infernal puppet, E. Shield, golden eye of Tzeentch disc 385pts

Sorcerer of Nurgle: Lvl 2, Dispel Scroll, Chaos Steed 181pts

Exalted Champ of Slaanesh: Roar, Runesword, Shield, Chariot of Slaanesh, 300pts
(I was debating giving him the axe of Khorne instead, is that a good idea?)
Core:

2 X 22 Marauders of Slaanesh, Flails, Mu, 124pts

2 x 5 Marauder Horsemen of Slaanesh, LArmor, Flails, TAxes, Mu, 106pts

3 x 6 Warhounds, 36pts (One unit actually has 7)

Special:

6 Knights of Tzeentch: Std, Blasted Standard, 320 pts

1 Chariot of Slaanesh: 130pts

13 Chosen of Slaanesh: Shields, Halbards, Champ (Favor of Gods), Std, Rapturous Standard, 335pts (I added another Chosen here although in hindsight I'm probably better off bulking up a different unit. This gives them a little more staying power though).

Total models 97, 8 power dice, 5 dispel dice and it comes in at 2250pts exactly.
Hopefully the larger marauder blocks will hold long enough to set up the chariots. An extra unit of doggies gives me more screening for knights and the front line. My characters now pack a little more of a punch or have better defense.

I'm planning on starting my knights further off to the side of the main line so hopefully they arrive at the same time the rest of my force does while staying out of the way of tons of missile fire. This plan will probably fail horribly but it sounds like fun to me.

As always any comments and criticisms are extremely appreciated.

grimhorn
06-04-2009, 12:50
Hi there!

A fun list you've got there. I myself play an all out cavalry WoC army.
What Ive noticed is that giving a unit of 5 marauder horsemen flails and a mark of khorne is too much fun to miss out on. Try using them as flankers.

You get 10 attacks at WS4 str5 and 10 attacks at ws3 str3 the first round. And given that they march and charge 16" its very likely you get to do that.

You get all that at a measly 115 points, so its very pointefficient IF you get the charge.

As for the axe of khorne, keep it! Reap a harvest of dead warmachine crewmen for the bloodgod.

Also try to sceen your expencive knights with your warhounds.

/ Grimhorn

Cartoon
06-04-2009, 14:54
Thanks for the input grimhorn, I appreciate it.

Do you find frenzied marauder horsemen difficult to control? I was planning on using them to watch my flanks and I'd hate for them to be drawn away by an eagle or something. I don't really have anything else that will be able to guard the flanks. It does seem like an interesting option though.

Has anyone tried giving horsemen shields and light armor? I know they lose their fast cav status but if you marked them Khorne you might end up with some decent middle weight cav, although they probably can't use spears when they have shields, can they?

Finally, would I be better off giving my marauder infantry shields and light armor instead of just flails? It would certainly increase their survivability which may allow me to set up the rest of my troops more effectively.

SiNNiX
06-04-2009, 17:26
Decent list you've got there, and as far as Khorne Marauders being too difficult to control, I would think so and would stick with either a Mark of Slaanesh or a Mark of Tzeentch. Having Marauders with 6+ ward saves is not only strategic... it's just hilarious!

Cartoon
06-04-2009, 19:13
What about marking regular marauders Tzeentch? Perhaps I could forgo shields and armor in favor of flails while still getting at least some kind of save. I have them slaanesh since I don't want them to panic straight away and run off the board before my battle line gets set.

Which brings me to my next question, what's your suggestion for equipping marauder infantry? I'm torn between shields and armor vs just flails. I like the bonus that Slaanesh provides, but perhaps there's a more effective way to use a different mark.

SiNNiX
06-04-2009, 22:26
If you're going to take Marauder infantry units, here's how you take them.

In decently-sized units, flails and Mark of Slaanesh. They're not combat-effective so you don't really care if they survive or not, just that they make it to the enemy to provide a blocking force which is the entire reason of giving them Mark of Slaanesh.

So basically, exactly as you have them! :) GG!