PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elves vs Bretonnia - 3000 points

derv
05-04-2009, 16:58
This is a 3000 point battle between Dark Elves (played by me) and Bretonnia (played by Badgeraddict, referred to as Dan throughout).

This is my first ever battle report so go easy on me!

The army lists:

Dark Elves:
1 Supreme Sorceress
General; Magic Level 4; Black Amulet, Sacrificial Dagger

1 Sorceress
Magic Level 2; Darkstar Cloak, Talisman of Protection

1 Sorceress
Magic Level 2; Tome of Furion

1 Death Hag
Cauldron of Blood, Battle Standard

29 Dark Elf Warriors
Spear; Light Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician; Champion

20 Dark Elf Warriors
Spear; Light Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician; Champion

6 Dark Riders
Spear; Rptr Crossbow; Light Armour; Musician

6 Dark Riders
Spear; Rptr Crossbow; Light Armour; Musician

5 Harpies

5 Harpies

10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen

12 Black Guard
Halberd; Heavy Armour; Standard; Musician; Champion; Standard of Hag Graef

12 Har Ganeth Executioners
Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Standard; Musician; Champion

5 Shades
Great Weapon; Rptr Crossbow

6 Cold One Knights
Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician; Standard of Slaughter

12 Witch Elves
Standard; Musician; Champion

2 Reaper Bolt Thrower

1 War Hydra

Casting Pool: 11

Dispel Pool: 6

Models in Army: 143

Total Army Cost: 2997

Bretonnians:

1 Bretonnian Lord
General; Heavy Armour; Knightly Vow; Warhorse; Heartwood Lance; Enchanted Shield; Mantle of Damsel Elena; Virtue of the Joust

1 Bretonnian Lord (Joan of Arc)
Shield; Knightly Vow; Warhorse; Virtue of Confidence; Sword of Might; Armour of Midsummer Sun; Gauntlet of the Duel

1 Paladin Battle Standard Bearer
Heavy Armour; Battle Standard Bearer; Knightly Vow; Warhorse; Virtue of Duty

1 Damsel of the Lady
Magic Level 1; Warhorse; Dispel Scroll; Dispel Scroll

1 Damsel of the Lady
Magic Level 1; Warhorse; Dispel Scroll; Dispel Scroll

1 Damsel of the Lady
Magic Level 1

8 Knights of the Realm
Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician; Champion; Barding; Knightly Vow; War Banner

8 Knights of the Realm
Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician; Champion; Barding; Knightly Vow

8 Knights Errant
Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician; Champion; Barding; Knightly Vow; Errantry Banner

8 Knights Errant
Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician; Barding; Knightly Vow; Champion

10 Men-at-Arms
Halberd; Light Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician

10 Men-at-Arms
Halberd; Light Armour; Shield; Champion

10 Peasant Bowmen
Longbow; Braizers; Champion

10 Peasant Bowmen
Longbow; Braizers; Champion

5 Mounted Yeomen
Spear; Bow; Shield; Musician; Fast Cavalry

4 Pegasus Knights
Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; Standard; Knightly Vow; Champion

1 Grail Reliquae
12 Battle Pilgrims; Light Armour; Shield

8 Grail Knights
Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; Standard; Barding; Grail Vow

1 Field Trebuchet

1 Field Trebuchet

Casting Pool: 5

Dispel Pool: 5

Models in Army: 115

Total Army Cost: 2998

Spells:

Dark Elf Lord (lvl 4): Lore of Metal
1 – Rule of Burning Iron
3 – Transmutation of Lead
5 – Law of Gold
6 – Spirit of the Forge

Dark Elf Sorceress (lvl 2): Dark Magic
1 – Chillwind
5 – Soul Stealer

Dark Elf Sorceress (lvl 2): Dark Magic
1 – Chillwind
3 – Word of Pain
4 – Bladewind

Damsel (in Red): Lore of Life
2 – Master of the Wood

Damsel (in Blue): Lore of Life
1 – Mistress of the marsh

Damsel (on foot): Lore of Beasts:
3 – The Crows Feast

Setup:

You can see from the pictures how the terrain and armies were setup. And yes, there are squigs on the board – they are proxies for Harpies (I refuse to buy any until some decent sculpts are released!)

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~derv/batrep040409/setup.jpg

Battle Plan:

Dark Elves:

I’ve gone for a magic heavy army, which I’ve only tried once before and it went reasonably well. I put one unit of Harpies with a unit of Dark Riders on each flank. They will hopefully be hunting the warmachines and generally causing problems behind the enemy lines.

This game I’ve chosen to go without any assassins and use the points for more units. Withholding a charge from Bretonnians isn’t an easy task, which is why I have the Cauldron to make the Executioners and Witch Elves stubborn, and to give some protection to the Black Guard as they always get shot up in the first couple of turns. My plan is to soak up the initial charge and hopefully win combats in the next round of combat with some support.

I know Dan always brings Braziers for my Hydra, so it will be interesting to see how long that survives!

Bretonnia:

My battle plan, as always was thought up almost entirely whilst deploying.
I figured I needed dual lances charges on single units to break the crazy amount of Stubborn that a DE army can have.

Whilst writing the list I knew I would need some serious magic defense so 3 Level 1's and 4 scrolls were in order!

I thought it best to make my general able to smash rank & file rather than characters so I gave him the re-rolling equipment. Joan of Arc was my 'Duelist' so had the kit for that task.

Once deployment was done my battle plan was simply to survive the magic phase and trash as much of Derv's army before I myself got destroyed. Not much of a plan but there we go! 'The best laid plans of mice and men...' and all that!

Please note that one of the Dark Elf Bolt Throwers is on the hill in the corner of the table but is missing from most of the pictures – it was difficult to get everything in the photo for most shots.

Turn 1 (DE):

Dan preys and I choose to have first turn.

Getting off to a great start, the Cold One Knights fail their stupidity. I move up the rest of my army level with them, which leaves everything out of charge range. My plan for the first turn is to hit hard with magic and hopefully get in a lucky panic test.

Cauldron gives a 5+ ward to the Black Guard.

Magic:

Chillwind cast on a unit of Errant Knights. One dies.
Chillwind cast on the archers, hoping to save my Hydra from the braziers! It’s cast and dispelled with a scroll.
Rule of Burning Iron cast on the BSB who takes a wound.
Law of Gold cast on the BSB unit. Dispelled with a scroll.
Spirit of the Forge cast on the BSB unit. Dispelled with a scroll.

Very little damage, but that is a bucket load of scrolls gone. Fingers crossed for turn 2!

Shooting:

Bolt Thrower shoots at the Pegasus Knights, killing one outright. They pass the panic test.
The other bolt thrower shoot at the Grail Knights but cause no wounds.
Dark Riders fire at the Pesant Bowman killing 3, but again pass their panic check.
The other unit of Dark Riders have a shot at the Mounted Yeomen, killing 1.
I look at my shades and realise that I forgot to move them, doh! No shooting for you!

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~derv/batrep040409/turn1de.jpg

Turn 1 (Brets):

Knights Errant fail their impetous test and charge the Harpies. They flee 14” to safety.

Magic:

Mistress of the Marsh cast against shades. Spell gets through.
Crows Feast dispelled.

Shooting:

Treb shoots at the witch elves and misfires. It cannot shoot next turn.
The other treb aims at the large spearman unit. It scatters and clips a model from the smaller spearman unit who dies.
Bowmen on the hill shoot at Dark Riders and cause 5 wounds, killing 3. They fail their panic and flee 14” straight off the board.
The other bowmen fire at the other Dark Rider unit killing one.

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~derv/batrep040409/turn1bret.jpg

Turn 2 (DE):

Passed stupidity this turn, woohoo! I’m now missing a flank with the harpies fleeing and dark riders off the board.

Cauldron keeps the 5+ ward save on the Black Guard.
Harpies charge the Treb on hill – they hold.
Dark Riders charge the Bowmen in front of the hill who stand and shoot and cause a panic test by killing 2 more. They pass and the 3 remaining dark riders charge in.
Harpies do not rally and fly off the table.

Magic:

Bladewind not cast.
Chillwind cast on BSB unit. 1 killed.
Spirit of the Forge – dispelled with a scroll.

Shooting:

Bolt thrower shoots at a unit of Knights Errant, killing 1.
The other Bolt Thrower again targets the Grail Knights, this time killing 2.
Repeater Crossbows fire at the Relique and kill 3.
Shades fire at the Pegasus Knights, no wounds.

Combat:

Dark Riders vs Bowman. Dark Rider horses kill 2, bowman kill nothing. Leadership passed at -3 with general close by.

Harpies vs Treb (with Damsel). Harpies kill three crewman and put a wound on the damsel. The Treb flees 3” and the Harpies end up pursuing off the board.

Not the best turn ever, but at least the Treb has gone. My magic isn’t doing quite as well as I’d hoped, but no disasters yet!

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~derv/batrep040409/turn2de.jpg

Turn 2 (Brets):

Mounted Yeomen charge into the Shades who flee and get away.
Knights Errant charge into the Executioners - hold
Knights Errant charge into the Witch Elves – hold

Pegasus Knights fly across their battle line to support the other Treb.

Magic:

Mistress of the Marsh cast on Shades (double 1 to dispel!)

Shooting:

Bowmen on the hill shoot at the Cauldron, which is the only target they have due to combats. They are out of range.

Combat:

Executioners vs Knights Errant – Exec champion dies in a challenge with one overkill. The horses cause two wounds and kill one. Execs killing blow one knight who fails its ward save. Champion is hit but makes its armour save. Executioners lose and pass their stubborn test.

Witch Elves vs Knights Errant – Joan of Arc challenges my champion and gets 4 wounds. Witch Elves get 4 wounds but all are saved. Witch Elves lose and pass their stubborn test.

Dark Riders vs Bowmen – Rider kills one and horses kill two. Bowmen fluff all their attacks and lose. Bowmnen lose combat and pass their leadership.

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~derv/batrep040409/turn2bret.jpg

Turn 3 (DE):

5+ ward save given to the Executioners by the Cauldren.

Cold One Knights charge the Men at Arms, hoping to run them down and pursue into the Knights Errant. Men at Arms flee and escape, leaving the Cold Ones in a bad position!

Shades rally behind the forest.

The Hydra keeps back and stands off against the Grail Knights. Nobody wants to move close enough for combat!

Magic:

Word of Pain cast on Knights Errant in combat with Executioners. Sucessful.
Transmutation of lead dispelled.
Law of Gold cast on BSB unit. Not cast.
Spirit of the Forge cast on BSB unit. 2 kills.

Shooting:

Bolt thrower puts a wound on the Pegasus Knights
Other Bolt Thrower kills two Grail Knights.
Crossbows kill 2 pesants in the Reliquae.

Combat:

Dark Riders vs Bowman. Horses again kill 2, riders kill nothing (go horses!!!). Bowmen again pass their panic.

Executioners vs Knights Errant. Knights kill 1. Executioners lose and pass their stubborn test.

Witch Elves vs Knights Errant with Joan of Arc. Two witches die, as does one knight. Witches pass their stubborn.

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~derv/batrep040409/turn3de.jpg

Turn 3 (Brets):

Reliquae charge into the small unit of spearmen – hold
BSB unit charges into Cold Ones – they fail fear test
General’s unit charges into Cold Ones – hold
Pegasus Knights charge Dark Riders in the flank. Stand and shoot, no wounds

Unit of Men at Arms rally.

Magic: Mistress of Marsh cast upon Executioners in combat – dispelled.
Master of Stone cast upon Shades. Dispelled.

Shooting:

Treb shoots at large unit of Spearmen. Scatters and hits the Cold One Knights. No hits.

Mounted Yeoman shoot at Shades in the forest. 1 hit, no wounds.

Combat:

5 hits on Executioners by Knights. Cause one wound which is ward saved. One horse wounds an executioner, saved by armour. Executioners killing blow one Knight. Drawn combat.

Joan of Arc kills 3 Witch Elves Witch Elves poison two Knights, both saved by armour. Horse kills one Witch. Witches lose combat and fail their stubborn test. Witches run 7”, Knights go 6” into the Cauldron.

Reliquae kills one spearman. Spearmen kill three peasants. Reliquae pass their stubborn test.

General kills two Cold One Knights and his unit kills another one. Cold Ones kill one Knight in return but lose by 4. Failed leadership. Cold Ones flee 13”, Knights pursue 14” and capture banner.

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~derv/batrep040409/turn3bret.jpg

Turn 4 (DE):

Cauldron gives +1 attack to the Executioners.
Shades charge Mounted Yeomen. They flee 9” and get run down.
Witch Elves (all three of them!) rally.

Magic:

Word of Pain cast upon Errant Knights. Successful.
Soul Stealer failed cast.
Spirit of the Forge cast at BSB unit. Dispelled with an 18!
Law of Gold cast upon BSB unit. Warbanner destroyed.

Shooting:

Bolt Thrower shoots at Pegasus Knights killing another. They pass panic.
Other Bolt Thrower fires at Grail Knights. No wounds.
Crossbows shoot at Men at Arms. 2 kills.
Hydra breathes fire (roasty roasty roast!!!) on generals unit. No kills, rubbish!

Combat:

Errant Knights kill three Executioners with no wounds in return. They pass their stubborn test. Dan curses and wishes he fought the Cauldron first!!!

Reliqaue lose against spearmen, 1 wound a piece. They pass their stubborn test.

Cauldron vs Joan of Arc’s unit. Death Hag and Hag die but pass their leadership.

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~derv/batrep040409/turn4de.jpg

Turn 4 (Brets):

BSB unit charges Black Guard
Pegasus Knights also charge Black Guard after finding out they have 360 line of sight. Doh!!!

Men at Arms double back to help out the Treb who look like they will be charged by the Harpies next turn.

Knights of the Realm are surrounded by the large block of spearmen and the Hydra. They move into the best position they can, out of sight of the spearmen but with their flank to the hydra.

Magic:

Master of the Wood cast on Hydra. Double 1 to dispel, successfully cast! 6 hits, 4 wounds. 3 are saved, one by armour and two by regeneration.

Shooting:

Treb shoots at shades but it scatters and hits nothing.
Bowmen shoot at the shades. Two kills and a failed panic check leave them running again.

Combat:

Knights horse kills one Executioner. Executioners cause two wounds, both saved. Executioners yet again pass their stubborn test!

Joan of Arc challenges the final Hag on the Cauldron and easily wins. No more stubborn tests for the Executioners!!!

Black Guard have ASF banner. The wizard attacks the BSB and takes off his final wound. Fluke or skill? you chose! Black Guard also put a wound on the Pegasus Knights taking off another model. Four Black Guard die and they lose combat. Stubborn test passed.

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~derv/batrep040409/turn4brets.jpg

Turn 5 (DE):

Hydra charges the flank of generals unit. Terror test passed.
Harpies charge the Treb. Crew flee 2” and get caught.

Magic:

Word of Pain cast on Knights of Realm. Successful.
Soul Stealer cast on generals unit. Dispelled on a 20!
Transmutation of Lead cast on Knights of Realm. Successful.
Spirit of the Forge cast on Grail Knights. 3 kills.

Shooting:

Bolt Thrower shoots at Grail Knights. The final Grail Knight dies and a wound is caused on the Damsel. Damsel is now alone and passes her panic test.

The other Bolt Thrower and the Crossbows fire at Joan of Arc’s unit. No wounds.

Combat:

No wounds either way in the Executioners vs Errant Knights. Execuctioners lose and pass their leadership.

Spearmen kill two peasants and the Reliaqae kill one in return. Reliquae passes its stubborn test.

Hydra kills two Knights and takes a wound. The general kills a Beastmaster. Hydra loses and passes leadership.

Black Guard kill two Knights of the Realm and one Black Guard dies. Knights lose combat and pass their leadership.

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~derv/batrep040409/turn5de.jpg

Turn 5 (Brets):

Knights of the Realm charge the flank of the small spearman unit.

Magic:

Damsel miscasts and takes a strength 8 hit. Ward saved. Loses a wizard level and is now level 0.

Bowmen shoot at the shades. All miss.

Combat:

Knights kill one Executioner and take a wound in return. Executioners finally fail their leadership and flee 3”. Knights restrain, planning to help out combat with the spearmen units.

The small spearman unit loses after being charged in the flank by the Knights of the Realm. 4 spearmen die and one wound is caused to the Reliquae. Spearmen are chased down and the Knights of the Realm overrun into the large spearmen unit.

Black Guard kill one Knight and win combat. Knights flee 16” to safety. Damsel alone on horse fails its panic test and flees 9”.

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~derv/batrep040409/turn5brets.jpg

Turn 6 (DE):

No charges. Lord moves to edge of fighting rank against Knights of the Realm

Magic:

Soul Stealer cast with irresistible force. Tow kills on Joan of Arc’s unit.
Rule of Burning Iron cast at unit in combat but no wounds.
Law of Gold cast in combat but not successful.
Spirit of the Forge cast in combat. 2 kills.

Shooting:

Bolt Thrower fires at the Damsel on horse and takes her final wound.
The other Bolt Thrower fires at the Errant Knights and kills one.
Crossbows fire at the Errant Knights and kill one Knight and the Damsel. They fail their panic test and flee!

Combat:

Hydra causes one wound on a Knight and takes one in return. Hydra looses and passes its leadership.

Joan of Arc challenges the Dark Elf general and causes three wounds. The Black Amulet rebounds two of the wounds and kills her. Spearmen kill the final Errant Knight and collect their banner.

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~derv/batrep040409/turn6de.jpg

Turn 6 (Brets):

Reliquae charges the Hydras flank.
Knights of the Realm rally next to the Harpies.

There are no Bretonnian wizards left, so no magic phase this turn!

Shooting:

Bowmen fire at Shades in the forest again. No hits.

Combat:

Reliquae causes no wounds on the Hydra. The general has rerolls on both to hits and to wound and causes two wounds on the Hydra. Two are saved. The Hydra kills two knights but loses combat and flees 3”. Hydra is run down and destroyed.

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~derv/batrep040409/turn6bret.jpg

derv
05-04-2009, 16:58
Result:

Dark Elves score 2571 victory points. The Bretonnians score 1619 points. SOLID VICTORY TO THE DARK ELVES!

Dark Elves thoughts:

This was quite a tame game compared to what usually happens against Dan. The combats went on for a very long time, mainly due to lots of stubborn tests or very bad dice rolling in the combat phases. The stubborn certainly helped me withhold the charge and the Dark Elves held their battle line very well. A sterling job if I may say so. Not bad for squishy elves!

I’m pleased that the wizards did well and the lord saved her unit with some good casting near the end of the game. I’m amazed I didn’t have a single miscast, as Power of Darkness was cast three times every turn, giving me around 15 power dice per turn on average.

I was lucky with victory points, with Dan only getting half points on the Executioners and Witch Elves and nothing on the Shades. This no doubt helped the victory. My general killing Joan of Arc was a gamble that paid off. Her unit was 573 points in total, so losing that combat would have changed the game dramatically.

Highlight of the game for me was my level 2 wizard killing the Bretonnian BSB in combat. Having her funbags out for all to see obviously works well as a distraction before the knife is slipped in between the armour!

Bretonnia thoughts:

Stubborn is a Bretonnian players worst nightmare, even with small units with it, a Lance charge is NOT likely to destroy them.

I found it comical that I managed to get 3 spells off in the game, that doesn't usually happen at all with Bret magic!

I must admit I expected my trebuchets to perform a bit better...1 spearmen between them is not good.

My woman of the match was Joan of Arc as she succesfully got through 3 units with her Errant Knights before commiting suicide on the Supreme Sorceress' Black Amulet.

Having my BSB slain by a sorceress' fingernail through the visor was, frankly disturbing.

AND! How is it fair that I miscast on 2 dice and the DE wenches didn't on 4 ever!

Unit of the match for me, are my Peasant Bowmen on the hill. Panicing 2 units is quite an achievement!

I am quite keen on using more units of 10 Men-at-Arms for baiting & fleeing.

It was a good game, and looked like it could have gone either way throughout.

Well done Derv...you pesky Dark Elf!

And finally:

Some pictures of the other two tables in my games room which look a total mess. A tidy up is long overdue!

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~derv/batrep040409/room1.jpg

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~derv/batrep040409/room2.jpg

LION
05-04-2009, 17:37
:) Dam Good Report derv and Dan. I enjoyed both the Style and Format + the Pictures LION

badgeraddict
05-04-2009, 18:15
I had to keep reminding Derv to take the pictures!

Derv will be adding my Battle Plan (lol) and after game thoughts soon, so keep posted if you fancy reading some of my 'insights'

:)

GuyLeCheval
05-04-2009, 18:53
Darn, good report!
Very enjoyable read!

derv
05-04-2009, 20:39
I had to keep reminding Derv to take the pictures!

Derv will be adding my Battle Plan (lol) and after game thoughts soon, so keep posted if you fancy reading some of my 'insights'

:)

I'm such an old man, my memory is terrible! Not once did I remember blessings on the cauldron, Dan had to remind me every single turn :D

Dan's comments are now above. Hope you all enjoy!

Desert Rain
05-04-2009, 20:39
Really good report, great with some pictures so that you can see what's happening!

badgeraddict
05-04-2009, 21:08
I'm such an old man, my memory is terrible! Not once did I remember blessings on the cauldron, Dan had to remind me every single turn :D

Thats sportsmanship for you!

Malorian
05-04-2009, 21:25
Nice battle and great pictures. Usually shots from that angle turn out dark and hard to make out.

Would have loved to see the brets win, but I'm biased ;)

badgeraddict
05-04-2009, 21:35
Would have loved to see the brets win, but I'm biased ;)

I'll try harder next time Malorian!

The battle could have swung in my favour if the Supreme Sorceress didn't have the Black Amulet. ;)

Ultimo ninja
05-04-2009, 22:06
What I noticed:

trebuchets were awful, and the bolt throwers were amazing! The dark elf shooting did allot of damage...maybe next time use trebuchets and pegasus knights to take out those bts and cause confusion in his line before getting off charges...

THAT HYDRA WOULDN'T DIE!

The harpies are great for march blocking and harassment....Oh how I wish WOC had a unit like that.

selone
05-04-2009, 23:09
Very good battlereport done in a nice style, btw what were the squighopper's representing?

badgeraddict
05-04-2009, 23:10
Very good battlereport done in a nice style, btw what were the squighopper's representing?

They were representing Harpies.

Malorian
05-04-2009, 23:24
Personally I would drop the trebuchet. I've never been a fan of them and I think equal points in knights or fast cav would have served you better.

You might want to rethink all that magic defense. Black horror is scary but dropping two damsels would get you another lance worth of knights (which is usually more knights than the magic you are paying points to stop would actually kill)(not black horror is the exception and why I would still stay with one scroll caddie).

garythewargamer
06-04-2009, 03:14
very good report for the first one. Much better than mine was but now I just do not do any any more.

PeeKay
06-04-2009, 10:45
Great report. Easy to read and understand.

Go Dark Elves, nice to read a report where they win

badgeraddict
06-04-2009, 14:02
Great report. Easy to read and understand.

Go Dark Elves, nice to read a report where they win

I'm sure this will inspire Derv to write more battle reports. :)

However it did make the game longer...we started at 8pm and didn't finish till nearly 2am. :eek:

badgeraddict
12-04-2009, 18:49
I hope Derv does do some more battle reports in the future!

Derv, perhaps when I come back down your way, we'd do another one?

SevenSins
13-04-2009, 20:04
lovely rep, thanks the both of you, and please make more ;)

that was quite some tarpitting action with that cauldron, maybe I'll give it a go (not to fond of the model unfortunately).... mmmmm stubborn assassin...

ryszard
13-04-2009, 21:12
Excellent report, thanks for taking the time to post. A most enjoyable read.

zak
15-04-2009, 23:37
Having played Derv I am aware that he rarely if ever fails a stubborn test. In fact over 4 games I don't remember one and he must have rolled 5-6 times a game!

Nice report fella's.

Feefait
16-04-2009, 14:21
Great report. But how the heck did the DE win that? But how did 3 witch elves rally? wasn't that under 25%? Sorry if i missed this question already. Personally I would have run down those exec as well.
do you find the cauldron really that valuable? obviously the stubborn here rocked... we havent seen it used here yet as our DE player just isn't sure about it.

Let me also say I like thta you both made the report and comments. When I do one it's like pulling teeth sometimes to get my opponents to say what they thought or what the strategy was! lol

derv
16-04-2009, 18:00
There were 12 Witches in the unit, so 3 left isn't less than 25%.

The Executioners on the other hand did rally with only two left. Both of us had totally forgotten about the 25% rule, but it was about 1:30am by that time so you can't expect us to remember everything!!!

I usually take the Cauldron with BSB. It makes the BSB difficult to kill as it causes terror and has a 4+ ward save. I also find the 5+ ward save for my Black Guard very useful as they usually get shot up before making it to combat. Also think about how nasty it is giving killing blow to a unit of charging witch elves! Against Brets it's fantastic, as you can take a charge and are unlikely to flee.

And Zak is right, I don't often fail my stubborn tests. In the same way that my Skaven Slaves rally on the table edge every single time, on Ld 2 :D

I'll knock up another battle report some time. Thanks to all for the good feedback.

BringingDowntheHammer
17-04-2009, 06:11
A well organized and simple report made this easy to follow and thus an enjoyable read.

The Bretonnians had the NE on the run until the last turn! I was looking out for the pegasus knights to do something (like making a dash at the bolt throwers) instead of deciding to rescue a lowly unit of common bowmen (one of them must of had that "Virtue of Empathy" vow). In the end the NE picked off the knights with some well aimed shots.

djkest
18-04-2009, 14:55
Interesting battle report. I was dissapointed that the executioners didn't do better, but I guess with him having a perpetual 4+ save against their attacks, that was all they could do.