PDA

View Full Version : Cloying Quagmire Vs Ward Save

Briohmar
05-04-2009, 17:44
This questio came up in a game I played today. The Nurgle Sorcerer cast Cloying Quagmire against my Keeper of Secrets. Naturally, I rolled a 6 for the initiative test, and then a 5 for the ward save. I argued that the spell had no effect because the Kepper had no armor save to fail, but my opponent felt that if I made my Ward Save, it was the same thing. I lost the dice-off, and 600 points went down the tubes on turn 1. By RAW, the spell should have failed, but what do you all feel the RAI is on this?

theunwantedbeing
05-04-2009, 17:52
Er, armour save.
You take an armour save if you fail the initiutive test, not a ward save.

As the keeper of secrets has no armour he cannot pass an armour save to suffer the ill effects of the cloying quagmire, regardless of whether he failed the initiutive test or not.

Cloying quagmire does nothing to unarmoured enemies(ie. daemons).
RAI? no armour save, can't be hurt by it.
RAW? no armour save, can't be hurt by it.

Nurgling Chieftain
05-04-2009, 17:57
A ward save is not the same thing as an armor save. It's not even "basically" the same thing. So, by RaW, it doesn't work.

By RaI, the Keeper of Secrets has no dead weight pulling him down! (That's what the armor save represents in this case.) So, by RaI he's unaffected, too.

Briohmar
05-04-2009, 18:12
See, I argued it this way as well, but my French arguing skills aren't very good, and the guy who heads the club took Andre's side, which is why we rolled for it

Isabel
06-04-2009, 06:45
I'm not familiar with Daemons, or Tzeentch, but doesnt he have the flying special rule? Making him immune to the effects to begin with.

Ultimate Life Form
06-04-2009, 07:03
I'm not familiar with Daemons, or Tzeentch, but doesnt he have the flying special rule? Making him immune to the effects to begin with.

Keeper of Secrets. Not Lord of Change.

Slaanesh. Not Tzeentch.

No wings. Only pincers.

sulla
06-04-2009, 07:33
Keeper of Secrets. Not Lord of Change.

Slaanesh. Not Tzeentch.

No wings. Only pincers.

...but sexy pincers...

havoc626
06-04-2009, 08:11
Well, it says that if you fail the armour save, you manage to get out of the bog, so if you have no armour to protect you, then you autofail an armour save, so you auto pass this 'test'

Isabel
06-04-2009, 12:52
Doh, sorry about that. Misread it. I'll shut up now.