PDA

View Full Version : Would you allow this conversion?

BlackJet
05-04-2009, 20:38
If I came to you with a fully painted army and placed 10 of these guys down saying they were Wraithguard would you allow me to play?

I wont get too deep into the back story, but I'll say that this army has been fighting chaos and tryanids in a non stop onslaught that their supplies are beyond low.

They are desperate and pressed for time so the spirit seers don't have time to really shape the wraithbone into the smoothly refined bodies most are used to.

On top of that the forces of chaos are starting to influence the minds of the army so the control required to build the bodies is nearly gone.

Front:
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/2060/img0728.jpg (http://img209.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0728.jpg)

Back:
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/8973/img0729q.jpg (http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0729q.jpg)

Size comparison:
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/7059/img0731.jpg (http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0731.jpg)

Of course I will finish painting them once I build the rest, and I will probably make a hose that goes into the back of the model made out of green stuff.

Steel Legion for Life
05-04-2009, 20:41
I'd be totally cool with it. It's absolutely clear what they are, they're about the right size.

Nice conversions too!

Whitehorn
05-04-2009, 20:43
Awesome idea, I would love to face such models!

can't_decide
05-04-2009, 20:44
I think it's great. I like that you have an explanation for the look of them too. It's obvious what they are and as long as your opponent is aware of what they are they shouldn't be an issue at all.

Isambard
05-04-2009, 20:47
They would have to have a pretty awesome paint job if they were to be used. You need skill to be able to get away with poor-hammer, the conversion is nothing special (no real work done, just balancing a weapon in the hands). If they were painted to an incredible standards I might let it slide but otherwise no, they aren't that great.

Bodysnatcher
05-04-2009, 20:48
Almost certainly GT acceptable too.

Bunnahabhain
They'd be better without those guns. Either none, or some other weapon.

Dryads are great, Elvish models. The gun is too big for the model, and spoils the shape of it.

Threeshades
I'd be totally cool with it. It's absolutely clear what they are, they're about the right size.

Nice conversions too!

Acutally wraithguard are considerably taller, but it still works for me

the_reaper
05-04-2009, 20:51
I reckon if you came up against a proper anorac (a knob basically) he'd perhaps complain about the size ie 'if they were proper wraithguard, i'd be able to see, and therefore shoot them now, but i can't because they're not actual models'

However, im not really sure on the size comparisons between wraithguard and dryads.

Apart from that, they're fantastic, I'd love to play against them :)

I expect to see a log on warseer soon :p

-reaper

weissengel86
05-04-2009, 20:51
I cant really see how they look similar but i would be fine even if you used legos so long as you were clear and explained what they were and what they had.

I could care less what people use. The only thing that really bothers me is total fluff heresy. The models could be GI-Joes for all i care.

BlackJet
05-04-2009, 20:55
Thank you for the near immediate feedback.

Regarding the weapon, I thought the star cannon was the most visually comparable to the wraithcannon but I wasn't expecting the size difference to be so much once I get the Dryads. If anyone has any suggestions for a different weapon please let me know.

And for the height, they are going to be a bit short. I could put them all on raised bases or rocks to give them the height if its an issue.

shin'keiro
05-04-2009, 20:55
Would you allow this conversion?

yeah - sure

Awilla the Hun
05-04-2009, 20:57
If you can have one standing on a rock or something, so as we can see the proper height of a Wraithguard, I would allow it. (I am one of those "anoraks", I'm afraid-the model's great, though.) But if not, I could simply make all my guardsmen into Ripper Swarm sized midgets, give them the correct backstory, and unleash hell, damnation, and lots of hair being ripped out across the gaming tables of the world. Not a pleasant prospect.

Reaver83
05-04-2009, 20:57
If you're clear what they are great, but i'll be honest i'm not a fan of those conversions.

precinctomega
05-04-2009, 21:02
I'd allow it, but I have to say that I think the conversions are fairly lacklustre, the background justification is clutching at straws and the bases are the wrong size.

R.

Threeshades
05-04-2009, 21:08
I'd allow it, but I have to say that I think the conversions are fairly lacklustre, the background justification is clutching at straws and the bases are the wrong size.

R.

i guess the first few are a matter of taste, but the bases are the right size. Wraithguard come with 25mm bases.

precinctomega
05-04-2009, 21:11
Really? I stand corrected, then.

R.

LonelyPath
05-04-2009, 21:13
I'd quite happily face off against such conversions, in fact I love to see converted minis in armies I'm up against. Nice work and very imaginative.

Akuma
05-04-2009, 21:14
I would let you play but I dont think you can call it a conversion ...

BlackJet
05-04-2009, 21:22
I would let you play but I dont think you can call it a conversion ...

Hahaha fair enough. I did slap it together rather hastily today. I sanded off the face and put a star cannon in its hands so I can understand your view point.

It still needs green stuff work, and some scenery to boost the height and something else to make it pop "Eldar" Thank you all for your opinion on the matter. I'll bring it back to the assembly line for some more body work.

Havock
05-04-2009, 21:23
I reckon if you came up against a proper anorac (a knob basically) he'd perhaps complain about the size ie 'if they were proper wraithguard, i'd be able to see, and therefore shoot them now, but i can't because they're not actual models'

That goes both ways, so just tell him to shut up.

Steel Legion for Life
05-04-2009, 21:27
It's GT legal if it's on the right base size and "not modelled for obvious game advantage" and "contains GW model parts".

Thus, conversions of this type are fine, armies of Ripper-sized Guardsmen aren't.