PDA

View Full Version : Master of the Forge anygood?

Gutted
06-04-2009, 02:11
Just wondering if people thought the MoF was a viable HQ choice?

As a novice he looks good on paper with or without the conversion beamer, only lacking an invulnerable save (which is a big handicap). Can he work well without dread spam?

Donblas
06-04-2009, 02:22
He can work pretty well without spam know a guy who runs one MoF, two-three thunderfires and a lot of marines does pretty dang well.

tacoo
06-04-2009, 02:24
I think he is alright, but my one friend is in love with him in apoc games. he uses like 5 of them as a long range solution to big threts (any varient of a baneblade, or anything big enough that even with scatter, theres a good chance of it hitting) in a nnormall game he might be alright if your doing a dread spam, but im no marine player so im not sure

MrGiggles
06-04-2009, 02:43
Well, the options are handy and his ability to take a conversion beamer and allow a player to take more dreads are definitely key assets. Even without those though, he can still fortify a piece of terrain in which you can camp a shooty unit pretty nicely. He can also fix stuff and take a descent amount of options. Maybe toss him in with some Gun Servitors and see how he does.

All in all, I think the Master of the Forge is a nice HQ option for Space Marines. All the got to choose from previously were Bomby and Hitty, Psychic and Hitty or Uplifting and Hitty. Now, there's an HQ choice out there for folks who don't necessarily want a dedicated melee machine for an HQ. There are the traditional choices for the folks who want them, but there are also some other choices which make a fair bit of difference to your FOC and often cause you to be a little choosier in terms of what you put them into melee with.

Just my thoughts though and I'm another person who doesn't play Marines. I'm sure someone will pop on who's a bit more experience with this unit on the table though.