PDA

View Full Version : WE snipers vs Engine of the gods

Ultimate Life Form
06-04-2009, 07:39
My friend would like to sniper my Skink Priest off my Stegadon all the time with her Wood Elves, and Iīm not sure what to tell her. Till now, she didnīt hit, but the question remains: Is it possible to sniper a Priest?

Okay, first, I think that ruleswise, mount and rider count as one model. Is this correct? So the magic bow that allows the WE to single out a specific model actually targets the entire Steg and riders, and the Skink Priest canīt be nominated as target for the shot. Is that right?

Then, she hase some crazy Fairies as well. I dunno what they are called in English or what the rules read like. Itīs those 25 pts 18" shooting Faeries. In my army book, it says there are no restrictions when choosing the target for the shot except you must be able to see it. Does it allow her to target the Skink Priest (or, if she wants, a Skink crew member) on top? Can someone please tell me the rules for these Fairies in English in order to avoid further confusion?

havoc626
06-04-2009, 08:01
The extract from the Faries: "The shooting attack is not subject to normal targeting restrictions apart from LoS. It can even be used to pick out a character in a unit."

The bow has similar ruling, so would have the same affect given to it about targeting monster mounts.

Going by RAW, you can't target a character on mount, as it is a single model, but this is just me and I could really go the other way on it.

The Red Scourge
06-04-2009, 08:14
I'd go the other way on this one too :)

Witchblade
06-04-2009, 11:29
Following the spirit of the game, I'd allow targetting the priest.

Spirit
06-04-2009, 12:24
Yea i dont see why she can't target the priest. Unless you want to get into really messy rules mud.

Take a slann with bane head and lore of death and fight fire with fire.

Slso, the charm of itzl should keep the priest safe for a while longer. And dont forget about his 2+ save for being on the stegadon! Or the 5+ ward from shooting that you can give him.

Has she actually managed to kill the priest yet?

Ultimate Life Form
06-04-2009, 18:29
Yea i dont see why she can't target the priest. Unless you want to get into really messy rules mud.

Take a slann with bane head and lore of death and fight fire with fire.

Slso, the charm of itzl should keep the priest safe for a while longer. And dont forget about his 2+ save for being on the stegadon! Or the 5+ ward from shooting that you can give him.

Has she actually managed to kill the priest yet?

Nope, but weīve only played 4 times so far. Sheīs an absolute noob, and Iīm trying to show her the ropes (which is ironic considering I only won a single game in my entire life before teaching her how to play).

xragg
06-04-2009, 23:07
We allow WE sniper stuff and empire hochlands to target riders on mounts.

havoc626
07-04-2009, 01:46
As I said, it would be going by complete RAW. Mind you, those same rule allow the Potion of Strength to work on a dragon mount, and I'm against that.

I support being able to target the character.

ScalySkin
07-04-2009, 02:02
I think that the sniper rule is there to allow the normal -2 penalty to be avoided when targeting a character in the unit (just like the lizardmen sniper character), going by the rules I would say that the priest cannot be targeted as the priest and the mount are the same unit. Going by what seems right for a friendly game, I would say that the character should be able to target the priest, but it seems to make sense that there would be a distribution of shots when the unit of fairies are shooting, so I would say the fairies would roll to see who they hit.

thrawn
07-04-2009, 02:24
scaly skin, i disagree. even in a competitive game i would argue that the WE player can target the priest.

in the normal case of a mount (ie horse) you cannot target the rider seperately because you can't kill the horse! in the old rules it was possible to kill a horse, and then the rider was stuck foot slogging it. however, that was happening way to often (i remember playing games were my opponent would be shooting at my silver helms, and i say i have a 2+ armour save, so he would say, "no, i'll just kill the horse that has a 5+ save" and all my knights would quickly get dismounted!) so they changed the rules that now cavalry are treated as one model. however, that is clearly not the case here! if the priest dies, does the stegadon? no. however, if a normal rider dies does the horse? yes (well maybe not, but regardless it is removed from play). so although it is a mount for the priest, it is clearly not "one model" as one would treat a cavalry model. therefore i would say, yes, the priest can be targeted seperately with "sniper" type shooting (hochlands, WE magic bows, etc).

Ultimate Life Form
07-04-2009, 02:30
I think that the sniper rule is there to allow the normal -2 penalty to be avoided when targeting a character in the unit (just like the lizardmen sniper character), going by the rules I would say that the priest cannot be targeted as the priest and the mount are the same unit. Going by what seems right for a friendly game, I would say that the character should be able to target the priest, but it seems to make sense that there would be a distribution of shots when the unit of fairies are shooting, so I would say the fairies would roll to see who they hit.

Oh well, there seems to be a major misunderstanding there...

Itīs not a unit of Faeries weīre talking about. Itīs a little confusing because itīs in plural. They are more akin to a magic weapon, and there can be only one in the entire army... thankfully!;)

Well, Iīm a little confused. So far, most people seem to tell me it isnīt possible, but I should allow her to do it? That seems a little odd to me.

Also, thereīs no need to spare her. While she is new to Warhammer, we have been playing Mordheim for one and a half year now where she regularily dismembers our Warbands, breaks alliances and wins the games all the while making it look like the easiest thing in the world.

Also she has more than 10 years of Magic the Gathering experience where she has a record of wiping us out with decks (Elf decks of course) that look odd and out of place during the first turns, only to turn out perfectly unbeatable.

Sheīs a devil with an angelīs face, so no sympathy pleeze!

xragg
07-04-2009, 03:33
The pageant of shirkes (faerie) specifically states it can target characters, while hunters talon (bow) states it can pick out models. Minor difference, but by raw, the faerie can target the rider, while the talon may be stuck just targeting the model.

I also believe the hochlands and hunters talon can still target characters on mounts by raw (model riding a model considered one model), but I really dont want to get into that as most people feel it is the way it should be anyway. Most of the time it is not a game breaking issue for me, and dont mind playing it either way if forced to.

Ikhoornix
07-04-2009, 08:28
Even though the rider and their monstrous mount count as one model, shooting at them is randomised, meaning that the rider and the mount can be hit separately.

I'll agree no to be able to target the priest "because it is one model" if you agree to remove the entire model from the field when I do manage to kill the priest