PDA

View Full Version : Refined VC tournament list

Malorian
06-04-2009, 15:41
As the lists around me start to change and people are started to up their game, I went back to the drawing board with my tournament vampires.

Lvl 3(4) vampire lord w/ master of black arts, summon ghouls, dark acolyte, sword of might, crown of the damned
Vampire w/ master of black arts, helm of commandment
Vampire w/ master of black arts, book of arkhan
Vampire w/ dark acolyte, summon ghouls, black periapt, dispel scroll

15 crypt ghouls w/ ghast
15 crypt ghouls w/ ghast
10 crypt ghouls w/ ghast
Corpse cart w/ balefire
Corpse cart w/ balefire

20 graveguard w/ FC, warbanner
8 Black knights w/ barding, banner, banner of undead legion

3 Cairn wraiths w/ banshee

Total: 2249

Improvements:
-The wraiths have been scaled back thanks to all the magic attacks out there, and have been given a minor supporting role.
-The black knights have been strengthened.
-Both carts are now balefire.
-Necromancer has been upgraded to another ghoul rasing vampire.
-Dropped ghoulkin for dark acolyte.

Still in my mind:
-Dropping crown of the damned for something less risky.
-Dropping wraiths and 1 cart for another full unit of grave guard (would have to buy more).

Thoughts?

riotknight
06-04-2009, 17:30
I like the look of the list as always, you kept with your armies story-theme with the summoning vamps. But this list looks like it has the potential to just wiff hard in combat. I've read your reports so i know you know what your doing though, The only suggestion i would have is to go with the second grave guard unit, 7 wide if you could, with great weapons. And maybe make one of the vamps a Avatar of Death w/ Great weapon to go with them.

Malorian
06-04-2009, 17:47
Ya I'm really liking the second grave guard unit idea... and it would probably already be in there if I had the models.

riotknight
07-04-2009, 06:34
After playing earlier, i might consider dropping the wraiths from your list, my feeling is "go big or go Home". 3 is to easy to lose a lot from flickering fires, fiery blasts or other high volume Magic Missiles.

For some reason i think a coah would do pretty well in your list.

ZombieMans
07-04-2009, 13:54
Or, for the price of the Cairn Wraiths, you can get a vharghoulf (them and 25 points somewhere else). Flying is very handy, after all.

Makina
07-04-2009, 14:39
Or, for the price of the Cairn Wraiths, you can get a vharghoulf (them and 25 points somewhere else). Flying is very handy, after all.

Eh, wot?
A varhulf is 175 and can not fly.

Malorian
07-04-2009, 14:42
Hmmm, the var would be a straight trade and could work very well... I currently don't own one, but I'll have to think about it.

Bascially the question is what is better? 3 wraiths + banshee/var and a cart, or a full unit of grave guard. I think the grave guard is the way to go, but as I said I'll have to think about it.

XXL
08-04-2009, 00:22
I love this list, some crasy magic. Im not a big fan of the wraiths anymore though, mainly because of my op lists. For me some more speed to your list would be nice, instead of more GG, go with a vargulf and some bats/wolfs...

SiNNiX
08-04-2009, 04:25
I'd honestly go var/cart but then again, I don't and never have played VC so you know better than me. :)

stonetroll
08-04-2009, 07:52
I am by no means a master of the VCs, but I think a Varghulf would be nice in this list. A friend of mine makes a tag team out of his Varghulf + Black Knights for a very strong and quick flank (causing terror to boot).

My other remark is why 8 Black knights? I could see them running in 5, 6 (7?) or 10, but what's the reasoning behind 8? seems like a bit of a waste to me personally or am I missing something?

Kill-Freedom
08-04-2009, 09:15
IoN spam list, i hope ou have alot of models LOL

JFSebastien
08-04-2009, 10:40
My only concerns would be:

How are you planning to run your Vampires? None have any defensive items bar the crown on the Lord, which i would seriously think about dropping if possible. Although LD10 for your stupidity test is pretty solid, the thought of losing your main caster for a turn is unattractive. If bunkered (butted right up against the rear of the GG unit), and perhaps Nightmared/Talisman of Lycni, he should be able to avoid most combat, bailing out if needed and legging it. Therefore i would say that perhaps the wristbands would be a better choice. Cheaper, better ward against the likely forms of damage (if your avoiding CC and do well at it, then shooting/magic is all you have to worry about no?). 5/6 on your 'look out sir' roll when bunkered, then 3+ ward against anything that gets through.
Helm on the vampire hero def means he doesn't want to be in anything that will see combat, so he has to go into the bunker...

As for the wraiths, i would consider a Varghulf in trade for the Wraiths as worth considering. At the moment they have no 'vampire' support allowing them to march move, so they are tethered to staying very close to you infantry, limiting the potential charges you can line up. They could take Hellish Vigour so they can roam free...but without Banner of Strigos, a character or Undead Legion, they are in danger of whiffing their decisive charges, and thats a worry.
IMHO drop the number of BK, swap wraiths for Varghulf to combo up with the Knights and march move with them. Then it's just a choice between Stigos or Undead Legion banner.
With points left over i would try to get a unit of 5 fell bats for 'cross fire' on those who flee, aswell as march block/warmachine versatility.

Hope that is of some help, i'm still learning about VC myself, so just passing on the suggestions of more learned vampires that have helped me.

Malorian
08-04-2009, 13:28
Stonetroll, the black knights are 8 strong because then they can lose a few models and still be effected and can also last longer so that I can raise them, it gives me a better chance to outnumber, and the size (one wide rank) isn't that bad as I can just run through trees anyway.

JFS, most of the vampires will be in the bunker (or will end up there). The lord may go up to the front if the unit coming in doesn't look overly nasty.

Modaavi
08-04-2009, 20:06
I agree that a varghulf has very good synergy in this list. He can help the knights march from a flank and combo charge with them as needed, plus take out fast cav and the like on his own, leaving your BKs free to flank charge units stuck on your ghoul blocks.

Malorian
08-04-2009, 20:17
So what do you figure a Lahmian varghulf would look like? ;)

JFSebastien
08-04-2009, 22:04
Varghulf=Lahmian at a certain 'time of the month'

LKHERO
08-04-2009, 22:40
What about dropping a Corpse cart for more Carine Wraiths? And are those Grave Guard w/ Great Weapons or without?

I think a Wight King BSB w/ Drakenhof banner in the unit of GG w/ Great Weapons + Banner of Barrows will make for lot more fun :P (for you, not your opponent)

Malorian
08-04-2009, 23:10
Varghulf=Lahmian at a certain 'time of the month'

LOL, I was starting to think the same thing :p:D