PDA

View Full Version : White Dwarf Blast From the Past (213)

Templar Ben
06-04-2009, 17:06
Many people talk about how great WD used to be. I was looking through a bargain bin at a local game store and found WD issue 213 for 50 cents. This is my book report of what WD is like for a people picking it up with today's eyes.

The list price was $4.99 ($6.42 in 2007 dollars US). On the cover is the Dark Angels as they have a new box set coming out next month for a new unit type called the "Ravenwing" or some such. The current release according to the cover is Space Marine Scouts and there is something for Gorkamorka.

Page breakdown (roughly) is the first 25 are Gorkamorka, the next 14 are 40K, the next 10 for Golden Demons, 21 for Warhammer, 4 on the Journal, and it wraps up with an extra 12 for Sister of Battle. This is a "40K issue" by the cover artwork so that does make sense (to me).

The Sisters of Battle just got a new release "Warriors of Redemption" which has what was 800 points for $89.99 ($115.86 2007 USD). According to the GW website the same box would cost you $137 today. I don't have my books here so I can't point it but it is a Cannoness, Icon Bearer, 1 Squad of sisters, Melta, Multimelta, and 5 Seraphim.

The interesting thing to me is the Ravenwing box is the same as today and today only costs one penny more. Well not the same as we have plastic where the Landspeeder was all metal but you get the idea.

There was advertising at that time with Gorkamorka, Epic 40000, 40K, and Warhammer each getting a two page spread showing the starter box and contents and a game in session. Necromunda only got a one page spread without showing a game in progress but there was photos of each of the gang boxes. The last 25 pages or so is the catalog showing all of the models that were discussed in detail. There were three battle reports with new army at 1-1-1.

The thing I read that really got me wanting to buy was the Campaign Packs. I had not seen these before (I was not playing GW games back in those days) and they sound brilliant. They have card building that you put together (insert tab A into slot A sort of thing) and they have new scenarios to play campaigns. The three for Warhammer were Idol of Gork (Orc), Circle of Blood (Undead), and Grudge of Drong (Dwarf) and the new one next month was Storm of Vengeance (Dark Angels vs Orks). The magazine came with card baracades that I have not put together yet and some Ork counters for use in the "Purge!" scenario that was part of SoV and introduced in the magazine. A very young Gav Thorpe and Jervis Johnson wrote it and I really should upload the photo of Gav. :D He looks very different but then so did I 12 years ago. :angel: There is also Alessio but he does not look as different except that he had a mullet.

There were not many prices so I can't really do much comparison which may be best since those get done every six weeks or so. All of the intro boxed sets were $70 so everything actually looks like it was more expensive back then than now.

I have no nostalgia in this but the magazine is a lot looser if that makes sense. The Fat Bloke ran a magazine that seems to be more for gamers if not nearly as polished. I presume that is because there wasn't a message that everyone was staying on.

If the first introduction had been that issue, I would have bought an army.

hereticdave
06-04-2009, 17:30
Hmmm WD was on the slide even then - for quality check out 160's through to 200

Templar Ben
06-04-2009, 18:01
I will do that when I get back home this weekend. I was just trying to give a perspective of someone that has not seen WD and is not look back with rose colored glasses. I thought that was nice for a hobby mag and I was surprised by the prices.

Damien 1427
06-04-2009, 20:01
Hmmm WD was on the slide even then - for quality check out 160's through to 200

Bah, everyone knows it started to drop in quality since issue two. Everyone has their own point where they felt the magazine started to jump the shark - For me, it has to be the legendary Buy The Giant Issue. That was when you could tell they had really lost the plot.

UK 212 was my very first issue, all those years ago. And whilst the magazine did have a few more useful articles, what I miss most is the "informal" style. It wasn't the glorified catalogue of a multinational PLC (Even though it was), it felt more like it was written by people who wanted to get a decent article out. That may be why I liked the Citadel Journal so much, and why I'd like to see that come back, even as an official counterpart to Firebase and The Watchman.

Thing is, I feel that sort of writing is done so much better by the fanzines on the 'net now. Which is a shame, as the Dwarf still sells despite having so little in the way of actual content. Why put a serious amount of effort in when you can still get the 4.50 for doing so little?

Templar Ben
06-04-2009, 20:26
Bah, everyone knows it started to drop in quality since issue two. Everyone has their own point where they felt the magazine started to jump the shark - For me, it has to be the legendary Buy The Giant Issue. That was when you could tell they had really lost the plot.

That was 315 in the US. They also had an online pool on how many giants you were going to buy with answers 1, 2, 3, and I don't play Fantasy.

UK 212 was my very first issue, all those years ago. And whilst the magazine did have a few more useful articles, what I miss most is the "informal" style. It wasn't the glorified catalogue of a multinational PLC (Even though it was), it felt more like it was written by people who wanted to get a decent article out. That may be why I liked the Citadel Journal so much, and why I'd like to see that come back, even as an official counterpart to Firebase and The Watchman.

Yeah it is hard to describe. I tried to with my "loose" comment. The articles seemed to be what they wanted to write.

Thing is, I feel that sort of writing is done so much better by the fanzines on the 'net now. Which is a shame, as the Dwarf still sells despite having so little in the way of actual content. Why put a serious amount of effort in when you can still get the 4.50 for doing so little?

I just wish the magazine wasn't a hard sell. They could focus on the cool things you can do with the new IG army with new scenarios, terrain ideas, and background stories and still get people to buy stuff. That is what really struck me with that WD. The focus wasn't on how you had to buy the product because it was cool (there were a few cases of that) but on cool scenarios and just happen to fit the new stuff so well.

scarletsquig
06-04-2009, 20:37
I started around WD 220, those were brilliant, with the card inserts of brewhouse bash, card terrain, complete battlefleet gothic game etc. Was a fantastic magazine right up to issue 310. Then, change of editor who had some fancy "ideas" about what to do with the magazine and it all went downhill.

Also picked up a load of second-hand WD's from 150-220, they were brilliant to read through, full pages of text to read for a couple of weeks or so.

Terrain building articles were also great, as were the very basic painting articles. The masterclasses of recent years feel like the easy option, just describing the studio standard rather than giving good practical advice on army painting.

Only exception I can think of was Fil's guide to orks, which was 1/3 of a page but still brilliant, really showed how to make them look good in no time at all. They should give the guy 4 pages every month to describe how to paint the new army... it's shocking that GW doesn't always include a basic "how to paint" alongside every army release, it's probably the thing that people have the most difficulty with.

Emperor's Grace
06-04-2009, 21:10
216 was my first issue but I have back to 213.

The thing I read that really got me wanting to buy was the Campaign Packs. I had not seen these before (I was not playing GW games back in those days) and they sound brilliant. They have card building that you put together (insert tab A into slot A sort of thing) and they have new scenarios to play campaigns. The three for Warhammer were Idol of Gork (Orc), Circle of Blood (Undead), and Grudge of Drong (Dwarf) and the new one next month was Storm of Vengeance (Dark Angels vs Orks).

FYI Ben, Storm of Vengeance was "updated" for 4th ed as a PDF. I'm sure there's copies out there for the asking.

No card building though. :( I wonder why they decided not to pdf the card scenery?

I still wish that they'd put out the old card stuff as pdf.

Wasn't there also "Tears of Isha"?

I still remember them selling off copies of these fairly cheap at a gamesday I was at long ago... that and copies of Sulpher River. Still wish that I'd picked them up.

Slightly OffT, the three things that I miss most from the "golden age" of WD are the card inserts, Mike Walker, and the "looseness"/informality/sense of familiarity you mentioned.

Cool_Mint
06-04-2009, 22:56
Number 213? to me that's practically new! I started reading from issue 98 and I've got an issue 70-something somewhere. I'll have to track down issues 98-100 (I gave them away long ago) because they had some interesting features on converting Rhinos including the first ever "Vindicator". I think one of them had a Land Raider Spartan (LR + Rhino hull) in it too.

Crube
06-04-2009, 23:07
Heh, young whippersnappers today (grumble, moan, whinge etc ;))

I go back to 109, and count the 120 - 185 period as actually pretty damn good. Personally I find the more recent issues to be getting better, slightly. The giant issue and a few after were really poor.

Still, interesting point of view you offered there.

Trench_Raider
07-04-2009, 00:52
Number 213? to me that's practically new! I started reading from issue 98 and I've got an issue 70-something somewhere. I'll have to track down issues 98-100 (I gave them away long ago) because they had some interesting features on converting Rhinos including the first ever "Vindicator". I think one of them had a Land Raider Spartan (LR + Rhino hull) in it too.

I was about to chime in with something like that. You really can't beat the WDs of that era.

TR

Templar Ben
07-04-2009, 01:02
Well it was one I just picked up so that is truly very new to me. I was actually stationed in Europe at the time that one came out.

I was just trying to give a perspective that is very different since I am not remembering the "good old days" and (IMHO) am therefore giving a very honest opinion of the older WD without anything coloring my views.

Angelwing
07-04-2009, 14:51
Issue 213 you say? Thats one of only two WD's I've kept. I kept it for the battle sister stuff mainly. I also have 104!
While I feel that WD quality has gone down, I think the real reason I haven't read it for over a year (and even then it was a mates copy) is that I've moved beyond the scope and target audience of WD. Very occasionally it might have something I want (which is why I read the warseer review threads for each issue) but 99% of the material is simply not aimed at me or is available from the GW website.
Sadly the articles I did read are gone (chapter approved, Mike Walker etc).

I do remember seeing the 'Buy the Giant issue', but two utter stinkers that I recall were the 2nd edition Ultramarines codex release issue and the 5th edition fantasy Magic boxset release issue.
The Ultramarine one didn't have a battle report which is what most people looked forward to reading. We had loads of them left at the shop and couldn't sell them!
The Magic issue simply didn't have anything interesting in it. There is an infamous (amongst my group) photo of me were I'm reading that issue. I didn't know I was being photographed, so the look of disgust on my face was genuine!
I guess I've been really lucky in the sense that I have never paid for a WD. I've been given them by mates, or as a redshirt, or read buddies copies. I haven't had access to a copy for over a year and I haven't missed it or been tempted to buy it.

TheBigBadWolf
07-04-2009, 15:02
I went back and looked at my old WD a few days ago, the first one I have is 220 or something, the one with the dark eldar release AND in their very fist WD battle report they get beat by the IG :eek: what were GW thinking every new army absoultley whips the opposition on there first battle report, because thats what will happen if you get them :rolleyes:.

Then I didnt start collecting it properly till 250 odd

IJW
07-04-2009, 15:04
Number 213? to me that's practically new! I started reading from issue 98 and I've got an issue 70-something somewhere. I'll have to track down issues 98-100 (I gave them away long ago) because they had some interesting features on converting Rhinos including the first ever "Vindicator".

I go back to 109, and count the 120 - 185 period as actually pretty damn good.
Yep. I cancelled my extremely long-running subscription around WD 190, and stopped totally with WD200 because it was all getting too cartoony compared to the mid-hundreds. ;)

As far as I was concerned at the time, 213 was already after the cut-off point...

Netherghoul
07-04-2009, 16:26
WD's lower then nr100 for the win! :p

MistaGav
07-04-2009, 20:40
I can't remember the issue number exactly but my first White Dwarf had a space wolf on the front cover and the 40k battle report was about a ton of imperial guard troopers attacking an ork bunker. The IG didn't even have any tanks or anything just lots of cadians and kasirkins. Surprisingly they won by weight of numbers but it's those types of battle reports I loved more then anything in WD. Just showing off a battle for the sake of it and not to show off the latest toys in the product range...

bluemeenie
07-04-2009, 20:43
Only exception I can think of was Fil's guide to orks, which was 1/3 of a page but still brilliant, really showed how to make them look good in no time at all. They should give the guy 4 pages every month to describe how to paint the new army... it's shocking that GW doesn't always include a basic "how to paint" alongside every army release, it's probably the thing that people have the most difficulty with.

I have a couple of pre 100 WD's and subscibed fully around 115-120 (back when they used to do Epic battle reports).

WD did use have a how to paint on going segment in the mag that was given to a different employee in the company to bring in their army and explain what it was and how they painted it or what technique they used. It was a lot of fun.

If I remember right the Howling Griffons SM's were one of these articles and soon became a mainstay...You'd be suprised at how many SM chapters were really just employee armies or gamers who caught the eye of GW and they gave them a space in the mag.

They also used to run mini 2-3 page stories depending on what armies were out at the time centered around some character.....TBH some of the now standerdized characters in the Codex's were from WD shorts...

As previously stated pre 200 (heck pre-180's) you could literally read it like a magazine. Yeah they tried to sell but didn't feel like the main point of the Mag.

Currently all my WD's are sitting in 4 milk crates in my upstairs paint room, and are all nearly mint condition as I rarely removed the cutout inserts...(buddy still mad at me for not giving him the Space Hulk extra floor pieces that came in like issue 150 or something like that maybe earlier..)

Heck I even remember the earlier ones back when Games workshop and Citidel were not considered the same thing and all the mini's were listed in pounds as it was only a UK magazine. My friends dad owned a comic book shop and used to get them in for the novelty of it along with early japanese comics...

I haven't read a WD since 260...maybe earlier....i forget.

Corrode
07-04-2009, 21:05
Out of curiosity, is there any kind of archive available of Mike Walker's articles? The only other option seems to be to hunt down WD back issues, which isn't exactly appealling. (On that note, if I do end up going the back issue route, does anyone have a list of which issues his articles appeared in?)

bolleblade
07-04-2009, 21:28
i remember issue 99 first time for legion of the dameded made with the first space marine , i didnt put that issue down for months

Lewis
07-04-2009, 21:40
You damn kids! I've collected from 117 (With the cover of the original Space Marine box) and quickly retro fitted myself back to the mid 80's and have continued to the present. This includes long periods when I wasn't playing Warhammer at all but couldn't stop collecting the damn things.

My summary of all of this is: Up and Down. The first tale of four gamers, Proper background articles, that guy who used to do those articles with foot notes, how to build a mutant/genestealler ork warband...There's been periods of geminess throughout my time and periods of utter dross.

i remember issue 99 first time for legion of the dameded made with the first space marine , i didnt put that issue down for months

It was also the first place the D1000 mutation list appeared. sweet, sweet unbalanced game play memories.

Sorry this is a bit OT.

Netherghoul
07-04-2009, 22:03
....rasp! er kids?! :p

Emperor's Grace
07-04-2009, 22:25
Out of curiosity, is there any kind of archive available of Mike Walker's articles? The only other option seems to be to hunt down WD back issues, which isn't exactly appealling. (On that note, if I do end up going the back issue route, does anyone have a list of which issues his articles appeared in?)

From Critical Hit (so UK issue #'s 1998-2003):

224 First Encounters of the Warhammer Kind
231 Putting the Ploy in Deployment
232 Fighting with Cold Blood
236 Top Gear?
241 A Touching Dilemma
246 The Gentle Art of Getting Fired
253 Dicing with Magic
254 Unnatural Selection: Warhammer Army Lists and Troop Choices
255 Club Night!
256 Dansing with Wolves
257 It Ain't Easy Being Green
258 Fifteen Ways to Leave Your Cover
260 To Kill a Bloodthirster
270 The Strong, the Short and the Small
273 Pale Riders
282 The Black Art

Gamehobby adds these (unsure US/UK):

297 How To Lose At Warhammer: Analysing the causes of losing in Warhammer
301 How to Lose at Warhammer
306 Rolls, Rerolls, and Rings

I have mine in paper (213 - current) at the back of a closet. I keep swearing that I'll scan them someday...

Templar Ben
08-04-2009, 04:24
If nothing else, it seems this is giving people a nice walk down memory lane.

Occulto
08-04-2009, 06:20
If nothing else, it seems this is giving people a nice walk down memory lane.

Some things down memory lane ain't remembered fondly - about three gallons of Goblin Green being used to base every army is one of them! :p

zedeyejoe
08-04-2009, 07:46
73 for me. Three figures for a fiver. Squats included.

snurl
08-04-2009, 08:01
I'm not sure what the number of my first WD is but it has ads for Citadels new AD&D line of figures in it.

Ozorik
08-04-2009, 08:11
144 for me. 40k noise marines, fortifications for epic and fantasy dark elves. Even though I havent read it in well over a decade I can still remember some of the pictures..

I started collecting WDs seriously at around the 150-160, the one with the big Gulgotha battle report for space marine (Squats with an allied contingent of baneblades lead by Yarrick fighting against an Ork waaagh lead by Ghazhkul) Ive probably read that Battle report more times over the years than I have anything else.

Not much point decrying the quality these days, lets just say I dont read it anymore.

IJW
08-04-2009, 09:18
73 for me.
97 for me.

Three figures for a fiver. Squats included.
Not in WD 73, they weren't - 40k and Squats were released around WD93 or so. :D

x-esiv-4c
08-04-2009, 12:36
I started in issue 114. Advanced heroquest Barbarian on the front I believe.

DarthSte
08-04-2009, 12:39
114 was my first too...
Seem to recall it had a picture of some genestealers framed yellow....

zoggin-eck
08-04-2009, 13:53
I've been collecting since 182, but have had the sense to go back to the point where the magazine went completely GW products, and a little before that.

My faves are around the 150's, with some of the 120's thrown in for good measure.

By the way, had to fix this since I'm such a Mike Walker fan:

From Critical Hit (so UK issue #'s 1998-2003):

231 Putting the Play in Deployment

This should read: "Putting the PLOY in Deployment" :) Makes more sense eh?

Fenrir
08-04-2009, 14:00
What was the issue with the cardboard bunker in it? Around the release of 2nd edition.

That was my first copy of WD, but I stopped around 1996. Started buying again around Summer 2006, but stopped by Christmas that year.

yabbadabba
08-04-2009, 14:08
First was Issue 2. Collecting was a bit scatchy in those days. I think it got more regular a few years later.
To be honest with you ALL WD's were take it or leave depending on what I was playing at the time.

Lewis
08-04-2009, 14:20
114 was my first too...
Seem to recall it had a picture of some genestealers framed yellow....

Yes, hybrids and a magus, later became the cover of Space Hulk Campaigns.

the Advanced Heroquest cover was 118.

Emperor's Grace
08-04-2009, 16:11
This should read: "Putting the PLOY in Deployment" :) Makes more sense eh?

Agreed but I won't take the blame as it was a direct cut/paste from critical hit. :D

The True Mooseman
08-04-2009, 18:01
UK 212 was my very first issue, all those years ago.

Oh snap! With the Battle Sister on the front? Man, I read that thing to death. Though not as much as 214, the GorkaMorka issue, I was obsessed. Nostalgia overload!!!

Damien 1427
08-04-2009, 19:00
Oh snap! With the Battle Sister on the front? Man, I read that thing to death. Though not as much as 214, the GorkaMorka issue, I was obsessed. Nostalgia overload!!!

That's the one. I recall the news having mention of a store building a pair of Imperial Warlord Titans.

Sheena Easton
08-04-2009, 19:02
The first one I read was #112 or #114, but the first one I bought was #157 which is still one of the best ever issues. I'd say #142 - #175 were when WD was at its peak.

hereticdave
08-04-2009, 19:04
UK 212 was my very first issue, all those years ago. And whilst the magazine did have a few more useful articles, what I miss most is the "informal" style. It wasn't the glorified catalogue of a multinational PLC (Even though it was), it felt more like it was written by people who wanted to get a decent article out.

Very true - seems like they're slowly turning it around though. The biggest thing i've noticed is that there's a past. Up until fairly recently you'd be hard pressed to get GW to talk about anything that wasn't current, now not only are they opening up about the old days, hauling out old models but talking about past employees - Mike McVey and his Green Knight for example.

That personal aspect and involving the readers into what was going on with GW was as much as what made the mag as well written articles, stories and battle reports. And as you say, each article had the feel that the person writing it was truly interested in it Steve Anastasoff's Necromunda articles or Adrian Woods Ork rants...

DartzIRL
08-04-2009, 19:14
I thinkl what everyone is saying is that White Dwarf used to be much more 'fun'. I started at 227 (I think) and sort of got bored sometime before 300. I remember it used to have a letters page... which went around 240 (around the time of 3rd ed Guard codex).

I dunno... It felt more real and entertaining. Written by real people, and not publishers sitting down at a computer. It was it's slight amateurishness that made it great. The feeling that these people were just like us... ish.

Nowadays, it's like breast implants -v- the real thing. It might seem slick and shiny and big and profession, but it's also dissapointing as hell and just not as special as all-natural.

hereticdave
08-04-2009, 19:20
I must admit i've never heard WD compared to breasts before...

snurl
09-04-2009, 05:24

Why not? WD costs as much as Hustler. If you had only enough monet for one, which would it be?

DartzIRL
09-04-2009, 20:53

It's true though, WD lacks the bounce it used to have.

Splog
09-04-2009, 23:00
It's true though, WD lacks the bounce it used to have.

Oddly enough my first issue was 126 (I think..) which had a fantastic cover of an apocalyptic future with some biker/racer chaps and chapesses on the front. What caught my eye was the cleavage in the magazine rack that was on a row at my head height. It had some great articles in, including I think a bunch of stuff on beastmen and the path to daemonhood for a champion of Nurgle.

I missed an issue, picked up 128 which handily had some Heroquest stuff in (or at least the cover was Heroquest), and then I took out a subscription. For me the highlight of White Dwarf came in the next issue with the revamp of the Eldar.

White Dwarf was interesting back in the good old days when I was lad and the grass was greener, and there were cows in the fields, and the other boys my age were playing marbles while I was reverse engineering the rules for Epic from reading battle reports and stats for new units.

Some number of years later White Dwarf had clearly been going downhill for a long while, and when my subscription ran out I didn't renew as it was just one big crappy advert. Not so long after I was amazed to discover WH40k mk3 had managed to come out without me noticing.

Sadly it appears not only have I dumped my White Dwarf issues (including all the back issues I'd managed to get) for some crazy reason I've gotten rid of my Rogue Trader era books. *sigh*

I've still got my White Dwarf model from Heroquest though. Can't dump the little blighter can I?

</ramble>

Jo Bennett
09-04-2009, 23:10
Why not? WD costs as much as Hustler. If you had only enough monet for one, which would it be?

Neither, you can get better online for free in both cases... or so I'm told ;)

Luthor
09-04-2009, 23:21

Yeah, neither have I, but then I was equally surprised when I read a sex joke in a WD Fantasy Battle Report. Hmmmm... He used penetrate and thrust in the same sentence, coincidence? I think not!

Cool_Mint
09-04-2009, 23:32
Issue 100:

http://index.rpg.net/pictures/show-water.phtml?picid=7160

I think it was the third White Dwarf I ever bought, I think I bought 101 first and then found the last copy of 100 in the shop the week after. I wish I'd kept it, but then again I've got no space to store stuff.

Notice something weird about the cover? Scratch-builds and non-GW models! You won't see that kind of thing these days.

borithan
10-04-2009, 07:48
I do remember seeing the 'Buy the Giant issue', but two utter stinkers that I recall were the 2nd edition Ultramarines codex release issue and the 5th edition fantasy Magic boxset release issue.
The Ultramarine one didn't have a battle report which is what most people looked forward to reading. We had loads of them left at the shop and couldn't sell them!Hmm... OK, I only started reading them long after that, and everyone has their own tastes, but I really don't mind the idea of not having a battle report. They usually didn't interest me that much (well, maybe the army choice and strategy bit, but most of the actual battles just seemed like wasted space to me...). I preferred army tactica, background (not so keen on the sort of in universe style stuff, but the background articles), and rules items.

I recently got a number of second hand white dwarfs ranging from the hundred and teens to the early 140s. Quite interesting having a look at them. Actually seemed to be less in them than the period of White Dwarf I was used to and thought was good (much more recently than that... sorta Eye of Terror time), but then it was much thinner, and I guess the fact that I don't have half the games they talk about also played a fact. Irritatingly large amount on painting and the like, but most of the articles are interesting, even the afore mentioned ones on rulesets I have never seen in my life.

The prices are also astonishing. For one they actually sell stuff with a price that ends with 99p! About 10 for 30+ 40k guys (ok, of a slightly iffy quality... I have got some of the old Space Marines, who are ok, aside from the weird squat, and the Imperial Guard... who are ugly, and needed quite a bit of work before they didn't all bend over double staring at the floor constantly, but the older Orks I have seen, but don't own, don't look too bad). Whole boxed sets for 25, and whole epic armies for about 8.

Harry
10-04-2009, 07:57
My first issue was 37.

I fell such an old git that I am going to go for a lie down.:D

iamfanboy
10-04-2009, 08:45
One of the earliest issues I have (I'll have to dig out my WDs when I get back to my house) was somewhere in the early 100's American, with one of the first articles about the Eldar Harlequins, and some Man'o'War stuff.

Speaking of the campaign box sets, I HAVE the one with Dark Angels versus Orks, complete with card building - I'll take a closer picture of it, but here it is as part of a shot for my whole army:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i225/iamfanboy/Eldar/eldar-3600pts.jpg

I also have the Ork Fortress built too. The only tragedy is that I don't really HAVE ROOM to store my terrain any more - hell, I've barely got enough room to store my new VC army. *sigh*... Oh, the salad days, when I had a big living room and a nice rack to put all my terrain on...

Lewis
10-04-2009, 13:50
Oddly enough my first issue was 126 (I think..) which had a fantastic cover of an apocalyptic future with some biker/racer chaps and chapesses on the front. What caught my eye was the cleavage in the magazine rack that was on a row at my head height. It had some great articles in, including I think a bunch of stuff on beastmen and the path to daemonhood for a champion of Nurgle.

124 It was the second to last issue to offer covergae of the Dark Future game and thus the second to last to offer coverage of a non- WH 40K/ WH universe setting.

It had a lot of stuff that would eventually become part of The Lost and the Damned Realm of Chaos book in it.

I thinkl what everyone is saying is that White Dwarf used to be much more 'fun'. I started at 227 (I think) and sort of got bored sometime before 300. I remember it used to have a letters page... which went around 240 (around the time of 3rd ed Guard codex).

That letters page was a neutured affair. You should see the ones from the 80s and 90s where people actually complained and suggested things.

Zothos
10-04-2009, 20:45
Think i started around issue 104....

WD 127 was probably the best "content Issue" ever...fluff and rules wise. The introduction of the Eldar Aspect warriors and the content on Eldar craftworlds....not to mention an ENTIRE army list. God it was glorious...IF you were into 40K...

Spider-pope
11-04-2009, 16:22
This was actually my first issue, i even have the card barricades that came with it in my terrain set still. Older issues of White Dwarf may have been better, i dont know, but for me the golden period was 213-220, when Gorkamorka was being released. My opinion is completely based on nostalgia however.

Templar Ben
12-04-2009, 03:04
Well I have no nostalgia for that period but I find those issues to be great.

zoggin-eck
12-04-2009, 05:23
On the subject of the letters page, a total "blast from the past" moment was reading the letters around the issue 100 mark, where every second letter was someone slagging off GW for going towards just GW games, with the replies basically telling to take it or leave it! I love it :)