PDA

View Full Version : Defiler

chad1989
15-12-2005, 20:07
Hi, a friend wanted me to ask, how much is a defiler worth in points please?

Thanks

Charlie

warwizard_99
15-12-2005, 20:08
It is against forum rules to tell you.

Use the codex or try Army Builder...

chad1989
15-12-2005, 20:09
Oh, im sorry i didnt know that it was against the rules and he does have a codex yet.....

blitz589
15-12-2005, 20:12
its expensive for such a lightly armored tank, Has to kill 15 hormagaunts, 30 spinegaunts. or 10 marines to Pay for itself.

warwizard_99
15-12-2005, 20:13
With access to the net, you can get a demo version of Army Builder for free, and lets you build armies up to 500 points.

Try that.

chad1989
15-12-2005, 20:17
link please?

blitz589
15-12-2005, 20:18
http://www.wolflair.com/rightframe.php?context=army_builder&page=downloads

Here you go. Its only 40$ to buy id recomend it.

Steev
15-12-2005, 22:16
its expensive for such a lightly armored tank, Has to kill 15 hormagaunts, 30 spinegaunts. or 10 marines to Pay for itself.

This is why I think that restricting talk about such matters is ridiculous. There isn't any way that they can stop discussion like this, which tells you exactly how many points it costs without coming out and saying it.</rant>

Anyway, yeah, against forum/GW rules.

KingNova3000
15-12-2005, 22:27

LOL I love that, such a sneaky way to get around it. Fair enough really you have to know those points values in the first place to work it out.

DrDoom
15-12-2005, 22:35
it is expensive, but its the only way we get battle cannons, and those pie plates are good.

blitz589
15-12-2005, 22:37
it is expensive, but its the only way we get battle cannons, and those pie plates are good.
I Still use one, but when you can space your madels out 2" it just dosnt kill much.

DrDoom
15-12-2005, 22:44
true enough, I usually get the best use out of mine when I fight hoard armies. it has to kill more but the players don't always take the time to spread their troops out. I also occassionally try and pop off a shot at an enemy skimmers squads (since it doesn't have to role a 6 to hit) and even if it scatters someone will usually get hit.

blitz589
15-12-2005, 22:50
I also occassionally try and pop off a shot at an enemy skimmers squads (since it doesn't have to role a 6 to hit)
Hitting on 6s is only in CC, During shooting You roll to hit normally, But can only Glance, and thats if it moved over 6inches.

KingNova3000
15-12-2005, 23:39
Hitting on 6s is only in CC, During shooting You roll to hit normally, But can only Glance, and thats if it moved over 6inches.

That is true, I think you may have been playing with a bit of a dis-advantage DrDoom. In close combat only do you require 6's to hit, (even when you do manage to score a hit if the skimmer has moved over 6'' the hit/s are only glancing.

DrDoom
16-12-2005, 02:37
*Bangs head on desk*

Well, apparently I get to spend part of this weekend rereading the rules, and quickly before the game on Sunday. Thanks for letting me know.

onlainari
16-12-2005, 02:45
Pity defilers can't shoot their battle cannon and assault in the same turn, that would make them good.

blitz589
16-12-2005, 02:48
Pity defilers can't shoot their battle cannon and assault in the same turn, that would make them good.
I dont like when they get in assault, they may tie up a unit, but they will be there the entire game, with its crappy WS.

mostholycerebus
16-12-2005, 04:12
When you play Thousand Sons, even (compared to CSM) mediocre units like the Defiler and Land Raider are (compared to TS) awesome. :cries:

warwizard_99
16-12-2005, 14:24
The drawbacks have been debated, a lot, over how bad the Defiler is...so I won't rehash them here. However, I don't think that Chaos needed a pie plate weapon that badly. They have Havocs, Dreads, and tanks - so they mirror Imperial Marines. Sure, Imperials have the Demolisher, but they also have the assault cannon and the Land Speeder...that is what Chaos get's for treason. They have older wargear. The counter is that Chaos has Obliterators. Sure they were gimped a little with T4/5, but not enough to make them useless.

I just don't get the hype involved with the Defiler...

blitz589
16-12-2005, 21:34
When you play Thousand Sons, even (compared to CSM) mediocre units like the Defiler and Land Raider are (compared to TS) awesome. :cries:
Also when you play IW you get 1 more HS, so an indirect defiler, combined with an indirect Basilisk, it actully has a purpose.

sephiroth87
17-12-2005, 05:59
Defilers are VERY good, if you know how to use them well. Never take just one defiler, and never stick it out in the open. Pay for indirect fire, then sit it behind a stand of trees and indirect fire for six turns. And when you play with two, they protect each other. When the opponent sends something within the 36'' indirect range of one, pound that squad with the other battlecannon.

The Defiler is an intimidation weapon. It forces your opponent to try and come out in the open, rather than sit behind trees and take potshots at you.

And Defilers work great in combination with a basilisk. Both the Iron Warriors and the Lost and the Damned armies can use a basilisk.

AgentZero
17-12-2005, 08:01
I just don't get the hype involved with the Defiler...

Because it was supposed to be cool. Maybe in the new Codex Chaos it'll get better stats.
I would hope so, it's a nice model and could be really fun to play as a general option for all Chaos players.

Epicenter
18-12-2005, 05:04
To this day, I laugh when I hear Chaos players slagging off the Defiler. Not so much about Chaos players, because it's all about the grass being greener.

Most of my friends (and myself) are IG players and let me tell you, when we read that the Defiler could indirect with its Battle Cannon but didn't get the option for our Leman Russ tanks, we were spitting blood. :wtf:

I guess it's all about where you stand.

Many people reading this are probably like "poor babies, you can't indirect with your Leman Russ even though you get Basilisks" - but trust me - we were unhappy about it. In fact, many of us still are. Then add in the fact that it's able to defend itself against melee attacks.

blitz589
19-12-2005, 02:26
Many people reading this are probably like "poor babies, you can't indirect with your Leman Russ even though you get Basilisks" - but trust me - we were unhappy about it. In fact, many of us still are. Then add in the fact that it's able to defend itself against melee attacks.
Its 175pts with indirect, ID rather have 2 basies, then 1 of each.