PDA

View Full Version : Best way to describe your army's models

Sekhmet
06-04-2009, 17:20
I'm curious as to what you call the pewter, plastic and paint that you play with on the table.

When asked what is 40k (table top game), describing it as a board game doesn't quite work. Wargame has more than one meaning and is very imprecise (especially when used in a real military community).

Captain Micha
06-04-2009, 17:23
I call them Models, or Minis depending on my mood.

Sekhmet
06-04-2009, 17:25
I call them Models, or Minis depending on my mood.

Minis! I knew I was forgetting one.

Captain Micha
06-04-2009, 17:30
yeah, I noticed that one was missing so I went with the next best fit :)

Fire Harte
06-04-2009, 17:31
Toy Soldiers all the time mate. :evilgrin:

LordofWar1986
06-04-2009, 17:31
I call mine either Models or Lads, depending on which army I use ;)

commander of the marines
06-04-2009, 17:32
battle brothers/ space marines or guardsman

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
06-04-2009, 17:36
I always say that I play a miniatures game. I describe it as chess, but there are many different armies, you create the terrain, and you have to build and paint the figures yourself.

Count de Monet
06-04-2009, 17:41
Minis/miniatures, figs/figures, or when discussing them with my wife, "little men".

Sekhmet
06-04-2009, 18:00
Minis/miniatures, figs/figures, or when discussing them with my wife, "little men".

So you can tell your wife you're "painting your little man" when she's wondering what you're doing by yourself late at night.

Grazzy
06-04-2009, 18:00
Models. Most people have come across AirFix and the like.

Templar Ben
06-04-2009, 18:26
I actually call them dollies. My wife started that and when I have my SEAL buddies over to wargame she calls it playing "Pretty Pretty Princess".

x-esiv-4c
06-04-2009, 18:28
minis.............

Leriol
06-04-2009, 18:32
I guess it all depends on who you talk to , for someone who don't know what it's about I call them plastic figures, for people who's into the hobby I call them figs,mini's or the specific name(Imperial guard , e.t.c). All depends on the people.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
06-04-2009, 18:33
Models. That way when I say I'm "playing with models" I give people the wrong impression. :p

djinn8
06-04-2009, 18:34
Figures... that or "Me Lads"

Raven1
06-04-2009, 18:42
they are models.

Saim-Hann Lord
06-04-2009, 18:50
I chose other.

For my nids it's my Gribbly Cthulhu Cult army (Mostly Stealers and they all have Feeder Tendril heads (this army was started about 10 months before 5th Ed))
For my Eldar it's my Jetbikes of Doom or the Red Flying Circus.
For my Imperial Guard it's the Harbingers of Doom!! or my Imperial Mud Guard (Terracota fatigues and Scab Red carapace as they're from a Mars-type planet)

For joe public who usually thinks "You're such a geek! Why don't you just go out every Friday, Saturday and Sunday and get drunk? Go waste about £50 a night to pee it up against a wall, throw up and then forget what actually happened only to moan for the rest of the week how you don't have money..."

I explain it's a table top wargame using models to represent different units of vehicles and that I play because since the age of 8 I wanted nothing but to join the military only to be told at 18 I'm PMU (Permanently Medically Unfit) and I can never join anything in the forces. So this is the closest I can become to being part of a real army. The 3 armies I play cover the three aspects I enjoy most about. You get to meet up and enjoy the company of like minded people who are there for the same reasons - to have a game and enjoy themselves. To enjoy the banter that ensues whether you win or lose and to feel good looking down at your army that yeah, can be expensive at times, but you've sat and built them all up, painted them and are now showing them off to whoever take the time to watch your game.

Of course, by the time I explain this to the office alcoholic they have the look of confusion on their faces as I used big words like military, aspects and represent.

But yeah...that's my two cents...

Sttucker13
06-04-2009, 18:59
I chose other.

For my nids it's my Gribbly Cthulhu Cult army (Mostly Stealers and they all have Feeder Tendril heads (this army was started about 10 months before 5th Ed))
For my Imperial Guard it's the Harbingers of Doom!! or my Imperial Mud Guard (Terracota fatigues and Scab Red carapace as they're from a Mars-type planet)

For joe public who usually thinks "You're such a geek! Why don't you just go out every Friday, Saturday and Sunday and get drunk? Go waste about £50 a night to pee it up against a wall, throw up and then forget what actually happened only to moan for the rest of the week how you don't have money..."

I explain it's a table top wargame using models to represent different units of vehicles and that I play because since the age of 8 I wanted nothing but to join the military only to be told at 18 I'm PMU (Permanently Medically Unfit) and I can never join anything in the forces. So this is the closest I can become to being part of a real army. The 3 armies I play cover the three aspects I enjoy most about. You get to meet up and enjoy the company of like minded people who are there for the same reasons - to have a game and enjoy themselves. To enjoy the banter that ensues whether you win or lose and to feel good looking down at your army that yeah, can be expensive at times, but you've sat and built them all up, painted them and are now showing them off to whoever take the time to watch your game.

Of course, by the time I explain this to the office alcoholic they have the look of confusion on their faces as I used big words like military, aspects and represent.

But yeah...that's my two cents...

You dont seem bitter at all. :rolleyes:

CasperTheGhost
06-04-2009, 19:03

You forgot Biker Witches from Uranus ;):p

Casper

El_Phen
06-04-2009, 19:05
I went with the majority and call them models. The rest of my family, my girlfirend and all of her family call them 'Little Men'. I die a little each time I hear it.

Doomseer
06-04-2009, 19:06
I have always referred to them as models, my Girlfriend, on the other hand, likes to ridicule me by calling them "little toys"!:)

Saim-Hann Lord
06-04-2009, 19:35
You forgot Biker Witches from Uranus ;):p

Casper

Not at all, I'm not fielding the Ulthwe ;)

Tymell
06-04-2009, 19:36
Models.

I actually call them dollies. My wife started that and when I have my SEAL buddies over to wargame she calls it playing "Pretty Pretty Princess".

Ben, please don't take it the wrong way when I say I love your wife.

Saim-Hann Lord
06-04-2009, 19:38
You dont seem bitter at all. :rolleyes:

Sorry, it's been a rough day at work and it doesn't help when you've to deal with the...for lack of a better word...ingrates of society...and actually have to explain why you have to dial 9 to make an outgoing call.

Anyway, I digress, I forgot to mention I had an Alaitoc Ranger army. I was fielding 36 Pathfinders at one point...the shop hated me :evilgrin:

guillimansknight
06-04-2009, 20:05
What do i call my imperial guard?

FODDER!

toymaker
06-04-2009, 20:16
When I talk to people not in the game I call them Little men or little dudes. My fiancee knows the names so she's cool with it. My kids call them my dudes

Count de Monet
06-04-2009, 20:23
Sorry, it's been a rough day at work and it doesn't help when you've to deal with the...for lack of a better word...ingrates of society...and actually have to explain why you have to dial 9 to make an outgoing call.

"Because...it works that way." ;)

Saim-Hann Lord
06-04-2009, 20:26
"Because...it works that way." ;)

Well if there was ever a time for the phrase "Just cos!" then I had it today :)

LonelyPath
06-04-2009, 20:29
I switch frequently between calling them models and miniatures, depends on the context and whomever I'm speaking to.

monopeludo
06-04-2009, 20:41
she calls it playing "Pretty Pretty Princess". LOL

I use to refer to them as lead figures, when I speak to people who are not in wargames.
To the others just figures.

Codsticker
06-04-2009, 21:00
I call them 'models' my brother-in-law calls them 'figs'. Somebody I know calls them miniatures.

Khornies & milk
06-04-2009, 21:13
I call them minis, and my Wife calls them my playthings, well when she's not calling them 'that expensive crap'.

5Pointer
06-04-2009, 21:21
My wife and I both call them models (but she does collect Dark Elves and Orks).

When they are lying around on sprues waiting for me to sort through them though I bet the word 'clutter' comes to mind...

Darkhorse
06-04-2009, 21:31
With family it's models.
At the club or store it's minis.
When discussing the latest conversion it's "Thing".

AB- Miniatures
06-04-2009, 21:33
I call them models, after all thats what they really are ar'nt they =]

Sekhmet
06-04-2009, 22:57
I actually heard people calling them "product" while they're still in boxes. Although it's technically correct, it also sounds like there's drugs in the boxes, not pewter or plastic figures.

Angelwing
06-04-2009, 23:56
Although it's technically correct, it also sounds like there's drugs in the boxes, not pewter or plastic figures.

Although the plastic sealing bags that GW mail order used to use had the nickname of 'drugs bags' in my group.

original question, its mini's / miniatures, models or toy soldiers. Unpainted stuff belong to the 'lead legion'.

MrGiggles
07-04-2009, 00:17
Models, Minis or Figures

nightgant98c
07-04-2009, 00:48
I call them models, sometimes minis.

Templar Ben
07-04-2009, 00:50
Ben, please don't take it the wrong way when I say I love your wife.

She is very good at keeping me in my place. :p

HockeyHyper
07-04-2009, 01:20
I voted figures. Usually call them "Figs" same thing huh? Well lets face it They are toys in a structured format to help us all hold on to our youth. :)

Maxtermynd
07-04-2009, 02:03
I generally refer to them as "my dudes/guys/etc." or "little metal men" (although I don't actually own very many metal men at the moment).

I'll prob append that to be more pc if I ever get any females in the army, but there don't seem to be many choices in the Guard without customization.

RichBlake
07-04-2009, 02:14
Wow, so many people with wives... :p

I generally call them models. Miniatures stopped applying to GW after they made the Leman Russ, then the Land Raider, then the Baneblade, then the Stompa.

To anyone who doesn't have a clue I usually call them toy soldiers. I find with people who (rightly) view the activity as a geeky one it's best to show you realise it's an opportune source for ridicule and get in there first. Disarms them pretty quickly!

My girlfriend owns a Yarrick model though, who I painted (because, frankly, I wanted to use him in an apocalypse game next week :p), who she refers to as her man.

holmcross
07-04-2009, 02:49
Minis.

Or, more often then not, "that peice of ****" when they suck it up in shooting/assault.

Oh, I now refer to my genestealers as my "sloppy second generations"

Cypher, the Emperor
07-04-2009, 06:46
Before I played Warmachine, I used model interchangeably, but they have a tony of different names for things/

Warforger
07-04-2009, 06:50
Oh, should have read more about the thread before voting, I thought we we're talking about condition so I voted pieces :P

Models is the term most used, it and unit.

dblaz3r
07-04-2009, 07:26
I call them models, sometimes minis. But with the size of things these days the word mini doesn't really convey the right meaning for me.

Grendrill
07-04-2009, 08:48
Depends who I'm with... I often call them 'little dudes' around some friends, but I still call them models and with close friends that know about it but have no idea how it works, or care, they are commonly known as 'Little Blue F***ers'... (I collect Ultramarines, and nids and chaos and a bit of Orks.... But marines are the main ones (obviously)).

When asked to describe it I just say its a blown up game for chess for a long story short, usually satisfies them.

htj
07-04-2009, 10:07
Minyachoors. Although I like the idea of calling them statues.

Hokiecow
07-04-2009, 10:59
I HATE! HATE! HATE! when my wife calls them 'dolls'.... She does it just to puch my buttons and it works every time... :'-(

Bloodknight
07-04-2009, 11:41
Voted Dolls. Actually it's Püppies or Püppchen (dollies or little dolls). I like a good measure of humour and self-deprecation. After all, it's just a hobby.

Darnok
07-04-2009, 11:45
Voted Dolls. Actually it's Püppies or Püppchen (dollies or little dolls). I like a god measure of humour and self-deprecation. After all, it's just a hobby.

Same here, except I voted for "others". I usually call my modells "Püppchen", which translates to "dollies" or "dolls". The only exception would be when I talk about my hobby to people I don't know; if it has to sound official and serious, it is of course "models".

MasterDecoy
07-04-2009, 16:21
mostly mini's or models.

Sometimes "my precious" in game, in the context "Run my precious, feast on those imperial dogs...."

I also play nids.

Classical Mushroom
07-04-2009, 17:25
What do i call my imperial guard?

FODDER!

There's nothing like Foddering a dirty guardsmen :p

I've always called them models tho my friends and partner all call them Toy soldiers oh the pain :cries:

Teccala
07-04-2009, 18:12
I call them "figurines" or "fig" when talking about model that don't belong to me and if the man I'm talking to is in the hobby. If the model is mine, it's an Eldar, or a Dire Avenger Exarch, or Serpent... (I use the english names of units).

When talking to someone who is not in the hobby, I call them "figurines" again, because I don't know if the guy really urges to know that they, in fact, are Eldar Wraithguards between a serpent and a DA squad.

My wife call them "Eldars". Oh, and she's a geek :evilgrin:

15 years ago, they had a different name : "Ton bordel" (your mess).
Thank you Mom ^^ (I'm sure a LOT of people KNOW what I'm talking about)

Col. Dash
07-04-2009, 18:13
When I first started playing years ago my parents christened them little men and told me I should grow up. Now in my mid 30s I still play 'little men' and I do martial arts which again they have christened 'big men' and once again ask if I am planning on growing up anytime soon.
Better not hear any inuendos about this lol

the1stpip
07-04-2009, 18:14
Toy Soldiers

Or Boyz, when talking about my orks

laudarkul
07-04-2009, 18:14
Models...'cause they are:). And I do not mind when peoples says that I'm playing with toy-soldiers:).

Hellfury
07-04-2009, 18:16
Dolls is good (and my vote), but I prefer "Dollies".

In a game that far too many people take far too seriously, it is good to have a bit of self deprecating humor to keep things in context.

You know whats sad? I know what the game of "pretty pretty princess" is. Even more sad is that several of my exes have made me play that damned boardgame with them. Even more sad is that I have won on several occasions.

I think I will go to the corner and try to look for my long lost penis now.