PDA

View Full Version : Kislev...DOW or Empire?

FallenScholar
15-12-2005, 20:32
Hey gang:

I have had an interest in a Kislev based theme for some time. What are some of your ideas for a Kislev based theme?

Thanks

Fallen Scholar

god octo
15-12-2005, 20:37
i like kislev, but the lack of units and models put my off, as i am very tight with my money!

i think you should go for it, it will be good to get some different armies out there.

ddfishy
15-12-2005, 20:51
Im about to start a DOW Kislev army for official games but im writing my own army list to play with my gaming group. If you have money and can convert then i would go DOW (see the army in US WD 311). Empire do to the fact that the models are plastic and easier to convert would be a cheaper option. Both can work well for a kislev army.

Keller
15-12-2005, 21:04
Really, either army is a good choice to go along with the Kislev list. You can use the Empire to build an army from a northern province, and has allied with Kislev. That would give you a good basis for units from either list.

Alternatively, you could use Dogs of War as kislvites, basing the army around the Kislev units, expanding on them with DoW units. Just use/convert kislev models for the DoW units, such as Duelists, Light Cav, etc.

Either army would work well, just depends on what you want to do with the army.

Festus
15-12-2005, 21:30
Hi

Alternatively, you could use Dogs of War as kislvites, basing the army around the Kislev units, expanding on them with DoW units. Just use/convert kislev models for the DoW units, such as Duelists, Light Cav, etc.
Unfortunately, the Kislev allied contingent doesn't allow DoW in its ranks as the rules stand now.
But you can always start out by using the Kislevites as DoW light and heavy cavalry respectively, and build the army up from there, keeping with a Kislevite feel and theme.

Greetings
Festus

RGB
16-12-2005, 00:35
It would have to be a DOW army with a Kislev AC.

I'd say DoW are a better choice if you plan an all-cav army, and Empire if you prefer infantry.

Reason being, pikes and crossbows are un-Kislevish looking.

Keller
16-12-2005, 00:57
Hi

Unfortunately, the Kislev allied contingent doesn't allow DoW in its ranks as the rules stand now.
But you can always start out by using the Kislevites as DoW light and heavy cavalry respectively, and build the army up from there, keeping with a Kislevite feel and theme.

Greetings
Festus

Actually, I meant take a DoW army with the Kislev allies. That way you can still get the true Kislev units, while supplementing them with Dogs of War. As an added bonus, you can actually get mages, which the Kislev list lacks, with the exception of the Queen special character.

Crazy Harborc
16-12-2005, 01:37
I like the newest versions of the Kislivite winged lancers. They should make decent heavy cav too. I plan to fill in the backs and convert the minies to have fur cloaks instead of a wing.

Has anyone tried fitting Empire knights onto unbarded horses to create DoW heavy cav???

Keller
16-12-2005, 05:24
Has anyone tried fitting Empire knights onto unbarded horses to create DoW heavy cav???

Empire knights don't fit onto unbarded horses. I converted my pistoliers from knight-legs, and had to reshape them. You could do an easy fix though; just heat the plastic a bit and bend it around the body of the horse. I did this and it worked quite well. Just don't over heat the plastic, as you will melt it and lose the detail. Trust me; one of my pistoliers had a clubbed foot when it got too hot and lost the toe definition. I managed to reshape it with little difficulty though.

You can always just buy barding for your DoW heavy cav, though.

Crazy Harborc
16-12-2005, 22:08
Keller, thanks for the info.

I have two large units of "other" minies (actually heavy cav minies). They are old and real 25mm (makes um short along side GW's). They are mounted on 1/8 inch thick balsa wood, then onto 25 by 50mm plastic bases.

Perry Brothers have some great looking 25/28mm heavy cav in their El Cid range.

Pokpoko
16-12-2005, 23:45
I plan to fill in the backs and convert the minies to have fur cloaks instead of a wing.
now,this my friend,is a pure heresy:eek:
i mean, the whole point of Kislev theme are those beautiful wings.get rid of them,and you'll be left with your ordinary Pancerni,instead of Hussars.
but,if you don't mind using "non-limited tourney" ideas, i'd say use the rules from WD 310 UK(or 309),that allow you to make an "custom" knightly order-give the KO trait "righteous zeal"(or sth like that;) ),that means they always have higher UStrenght than enemy, and for disadvantages go for the one that makes you charge unless passed LD test-it would represent nicely the elite feel of hussars/lancers.the "real"kislev lancers can be used as lighter "pancerni" cavalry, while cannons and hellblasters would be well.cannons and serpentines.horse archers would be horse archers, and free companies would represent peasant's draft army.

Nineswords
16-12-2005, 23:51
Dont they have the Kislev list for DL on GW website?

Captain Cortez
17-12-2005, 04:44
Actauly I play an Ostland Empire army and I use a Kislev allied continent myself. This really fits the fluff.

Blackadder
17-12-2005, 17:02
Why not make a full Kislev army using the Kislev allied contingent list with the Empire codex, where the "Empire" units will be used for the missing Kislev ones (like Wizards). All "Empire" units should be suitable painted and/or converted as Kislev ones.

This option means you can play a full Kislev army.

For other models check the ranges of historical miniatures companies, like The Foundry or Old Glory. They or other do have miniatures of the historical units on which the Kislev are based. If I am correct those are the late medieval Polish and Cossack armies.

Pokpoko
17-12-2005, 19:14
not medieval, winged lancers(Hussars) as they are represented in the game, are from the rennesaince/baroqe period, around 1600/1650's.

RGB
18-12-2005, 00:41
Lancer models have Eastern-style armour (like that worn by Russians, Tatars, Mongols, Lithuananians and Turks) with very Russian pointed helmets; overall, that is somewhat 1380s to early 1600s in design. The wings and the lances are more Polish Husaria (late 1500s to 1650s). The Gryphon Legion are slightly more Polish in both armour and look (moustaches instead of beards, for one)

So whether you want to model Kislev after Poland or Russia, the models allow both. And yes, when they still had the Mordheim Kislevites on order you could have made a complete Kislevite army using Empire+Allied Contingent rules. I don't know if you can get them now.

For example henchmen Streltzi models (i.e 1500-early 1700 Russian infantry - insipired) models could be handgunners or halberdiers and so on.

Finally, if you want heavy Kislevite cavalry, you can use Barded elf horses and Lancer torsoes; keep the wings off, and maybe give them kite shields (Foundry or make them yourself drom plastistruct); that gives you a nice Eastern European or Mongol knight, 1380 to 1480 or so.

Light cavalry (pistoliers) - again, lancer torsos, maybe WE horses, and pistols and bows instead of lances.

You can make an entire army that way, but it's not cheap, that's all.

Blackadder
18-12-2005, 11:04
If you see a full Kislivite army (Empire+allied cont.) on the net, they often have bear mounted knights as heavy cavelery.

Festus
18-12-2005, 11:15
Hi

The Winged Lancers started life as historical models of Polish Winged Hussars (maybe a Foundry commission?), and their WHFB incarnation is a perfect match for those troops.

Greetings
Festus

RGB
18-12-2005, 20:52
Hi

The Winged Lancers started life as historical models of Polish Winged Hussars (maybe a Foundry commission?), and their WHFB incarnation is a perfect match for those troops.

Greetings
Festus

I know they are supposed to be Husaria, but there are a few nuances to the models themselves. While The GL are very much spot-on (round halmets with cheekpieces, cuirasses over maille instead of lamellar) and so on, the lancers are a bit different.

If you look at Lancers closely, they've a scale, lamellar or just a normal maille (kolczuga) armour, something that a pancirni cavalryman would wear, but pancirni are not heavy cavalry, and these guys are. By contrast, cavalries east of Poland would be armoured that way, from Lithuania to Uzbekistan.

Secondly, they've all (but one model) got szishak/yarikhonka helmets on. So...um, the modelling is not a hundred percent accurate if you say WL = Husaria. Which is actually better since GL can be husaria and WL can be used to represent other types of cavalry.

Cheers.

strv
18-12-2005, 20:59
^ If you shave of the wings, they make them look like hussars, they would make any riding human model look like winged hussar.