PDA

View Full Version : shadow blade or crone?

danny-d-b
06-04-2009, 19:47
I'm trying to put together a DE army or har ganeth and have a problem when I hit 2000 points
so far interms of caracters I've got a Death hag on coldren, and ASF BSB and a level 2 scroll caddy

however do I now take shadow blade to help the anti magic (e.g. he turns up in the nastys wizzard unit and assaisnates the wizzard) or do I go crone hellebone and laugh as they work out what armour save they have at S10?

Malorian
06-04-2009, 19:50
Why not switch back and forth to keep it fresh from game to game?

sulla
06-04-2009, 20:39
Hellebron in the ASF unit is by far the stronger of the two, but I agree with the above post. keep it fresh and spruce up the game by changing all the time.

danny-d-b
06-04-2009, 21:01
well the thing is I'm going in to a fixed list local tordment (you have to clear the fluff with the GM first! so it stops most nasty builds!!)

bob_the_small
06-04-2009, 21:15
crone hellebone

Lol... XD

having never used shadowblade I would go for crone hellebron

Malorian
06-04-2009, 21:16
Comp control based on fluff? Interesting although far from perfect.

Well if you have to pick one I'd go with the crone.

Bounce Ballington
06-04-2009, 21:19
Came across Hellebron in a game a few months back, it wasn't pretty. She has my vote.

danny-d-b
06-04-2009, 21:23
right o! looks like crone, though its a shame, I would of liked to see the face of various people when I place as DE assasin model next to there most expensive model and take it down in HtH combat

but S10 ASF its is

also is tullaris worth putting in my army, I'm thinking MSUs of stubbon witch elves with a small block (15 guys) of ASF exectioners

Malorian
06-04-2009, 21:39
1 wound special characters is really risky. Personally I wouldn't do it.

Nicha11
06-04-2009, 21:50
Wouldn't recommend the crone.
She's naked.....

Bowfire can easily send your expensive lord to an early and ignomonious end.

Wouldn't recommend shadowblade either (damn i'm negative today).

He pops up in an enemy unit and munchs 200pts of stuff, max.
Then he either gets countercharged by something nasty, or gets introduced to ranged weapons.

sulla
07-04-2009, 00:02
also is tullaris worth putting in my army, I'm thinking MSUs of stubbon witch elves with a small block (15 guys) of ASF exectioners

Tullaris is almost as expensive as an assassin, Just get an assassin instead of a puny strikes last, one wound, 2 attacks character...

Wouldn't recommend the crone.
She's naked.....

Bowfire can easily send your expensive lord to an early and ignomonious end.

...It has to be a pretty special bow to single her out of a unit of troops.

Dr.Mercury
07-04-2009, 01:33
I had crone in an ASF unit two weeks ago vs Chaos.
Her unit charger a unit of warriors at a defended obstacle. She alone killed 8 warriors. warriors flee, I over run, and hit a unit of chaos knights that were redeploying to support his flank. next combat she killed 8 knights.

She alone won that game for me.
My vote Crone.

Although Shadowblade is nice if you are up against vampire counts or high elves.

danny-d-b
07-04-2009, 06:30
I'll get a list up shortly, and maybe even some battle report, my first battle being against an all night goblin/goblin hoard, should have some fun!!!

sulla
07-04-2009, 07:51
I'll get a list up shortly, and maybe even some battle report, my first battle being against an all night goblin/goblin hoard, should have some fun!!!
Definately don't bring shadowblade then. Wherever he pops up, he will be fanatic'd to death instantly, so you will be paying 300pts for a s3 template...

Nicha11
07-04-2009, 08:00
...It has to be a pretty special bow to single her out of a unit of troops.

My mistake i thought she was being fielded on a manticore.

danny-d-b
07-04-2009, 09:48
no- worst Idea ever!!!!

if you wanted a big nasty flyer get malakith!

Mythrider
07-04-2009, 13:39
The choice is really simple.

One of them makes WEs count as core and all Khainites stubborn, the other one doesn`t.

MalusCalibur
07-04-2009, 15:19
How about neither of them? Special characters are so very dull. Spend some time coming up with a character of your own devising using the standard character slots, instead of falling back on crutches.

MalusCalibur

danny-d-b
07-04-2009, 15:22
How about neither of them? Special characters are so very dull. Spend some time coming up with a character of your own devising using the standard character slots, instead of falling back on crutches.

MalusCalibur

possible but it does remove some of the fluff behind the army

plus want to have a chance of winning and there is going to some realy nasty fuffy things going

like an all tzeech fatewever list, and the high dwarf kings guard

Makarion
07-04-2009, 17:47
The choice is really simple.

One of them makes WEs count as core and all Khainites stubborn, the other one doesn`t.

But that would involve fielding more witch elves than you can fit in your special slots. Personally, I think they need enough protection from shooting already, and there's only so much dark magic (and harpies) to take care of that.

Mythrider
07-04-2009, 18:11
@Makarion

Why would it involving fielding so many WEs?

What it allows you to do is take 3 units of WEs as your Core (instead of taking Spears, Rxbs, DRs and Corsairs) and still have all of your Special slots open.

For example, I could take 3 units Witches and still take 4 units of CoKs (or Execs for fluff reasons) if I wanted to.

While I agree with MalusCaliber that some of the special characters can be crutches I don`t feel that is the case for Hellebron, or any SC, that fundamentally changes the army. It also happens to be the case that Hellebron is not all that easy to use effectively given that she is a T3 lord, on foot (unless you opt for the Manti which is IMHO a mistake) with no real save of any kind.

While she can be put with the ASF unit most opponents will see this a mile away and either send even more missile fire at her or just ignore the unit completely if they have the ability to do so.

Makarion
07-04-2009, 18:23
Sure, that's an option, but I can't see the points being available for all that myself, I'm afraid. Admittedly, I'd still pick the Crone, anyway :).

It's sacrilege of course, but I cannot shake the idea that the Crone would work best in a unit of BG: it saves on the required BSB.

As an aside, I am considering making a cult army of Anath Raema. Would the Crone be consider a fitting general? Sure, the serial number would have to be filed off a little, and I expect more of a focus on shades than witch elves, but the flavours seems appropriate.

sulla
07-04-2009, 21:29
As an aside, I am considering making a cult army of Anath Raema. Would the Crone be consider a fitting general? Sure, the serial number would have to be filed off a little, and I expect more of a focus on shades than witch elves, but the flavours seems appropriate.

It's essential to have her in BG (Just use executioner models as her uber-temple guards). Last time I played her, her unit was baited and then flank charged by fear causing heavy cav that outnumbered her unit, autobroke them and ran them down without her getting to swing her magic sword at anything more substantial than cheap core.

Using her in any other unit means you'd better be playing against a newb who rushes straight up the middle.

bob_the_small
07-04-2009, 21:40
Nichai11!! AAAHHH same picture syndrome

Zoolander
08-04-2009, 21:40
Or you could retain some of your honor and not used special characters at all... just a thought. :rolleyes:

sulla
08-04-2009, 22:58
Or you could retain some of your honor and not used special characters at all... just a thought. :rolleyes:

Diddums. Did some werry scawey special chawactewwww kill your general?