PDA

View Full Version : Help with WOTR Dwarves

mr.silly
06-04-2009, 20:57
Hey, ive decided to start dwarves for the WOTR league at my LGS. However, I have a few questions.

How do Dwarf Warriors compare in effectiveness to Dwarf Rangers? Are Rangers only useful for bows?

I've heard great things about khazad guard, but what about Iron Guard? Are they useful?

What are the preferred heroes? I am probably going to use Balin or gimli because I have the models, but is there someone else thats better?

And finally, what kind of command is best in a formation? And should I include command with every formation?

Thanks

Reinholt
06-04-2009, 22:12
How do Dwarf Warriors compare in effectiveness to Dwarf Rangers? Are Rangers only useful for bows?

Two totally different units. Dwarf Warriors are tough as nails close combat units; you get them stuck in and pound people in the face. Rangers are for shooting, throwing weapons, and flank attacks through terrain. Basically, if you are trying to do the exact same things with both units, you are either desperate or playing very poorly.

I've heard great things about khazad guard, but what about Iron Guard? Are they useful?

Virtually all of the dwarf units are very good. Vault Wardens are awesome, Khazad Guard are awesome, Iron Guard are awesome, etc. You find out you are paying the points for what you get when you seen an army that outnumbers them 3:1 for the same points, but you do get what you pay for.

What are the preferred heroes? I am probably going to use Balin or gimli because I have the models, but is there someone else thats better?

That is going to vary based on style of play. People aiming for bulk are going to grab cheap heroes. People going for elite forces will like Dain or Gimli. Play what suits your style.

And finally, what kind of command is best in a formation? And should I include command with every formation?

My main list is Angmar. Captains are essential in any melee unit; I find I don't need any command in my orc archers. Beyond that, banners can be good, but weigh the price against more units. For me, where often it's worth 2-3 more companies of orcs vs. one banner, the value might be different than dwarves...

Babolat360
06-04-2009, 22:39
Hello there,

1) Take big formations of dwarf warriors with shields (I find 4 companies per formation works best).

2) Save points and don't take command - only buy captains for units without epic heroes joined to them. [MAYBE musician if you have the points to spare since dwarves are slow].

3) Dwarf bowmen aren't essential but since they come in the box, take a formation of 3 companies if you want.

4) Khazad guard with Dain is nasty - highly recommened

5) Ballistas are good for taking out big things.

6) Vault wardens are defence 10 - nuff said

7) All the dwarf hereos are nice - Dain (already mentioned), Balin, Gimli - all good....

Hope this helps

:)

Goruax
07-04-2009, 00:03
I have to disagree with 'Only Captains'

With Dwarves in particular, you have a couple of decent options.
For a Warrior Kinband without an Epic Hero, my set up would be:
- 4 Companies with Shields
-- Captain
-- Banner Bearer
-- Shieldbearer

The Banner and Shield-bearers will give you a Steadfast result a damn good amount of times, let alone the fact that Banners help you charge.
They're really useful, simply because they help reduce the chance of taking any casualties. You have good courage sure, but what happens when you do fail your courage check, or the enemy have magic wielders/courage sappers?

As for the Captain, well 2 points of might, better Fight and Courage is never a bad thing!

Agree with the Vault Wardens, Defence 10 to the front? Hello!!
Doesn't matter if they kill sod all, they aren't going anywhere.

Dain, I love this guy, because you chuck the Mithril Coat Fortune on him and make him Resilience 5 ;)