PDA

View Full Version : High Elf Dragon Prince Questions. Why won't they work for me?

Walls
06-04-2009, 20:42
Hey all,

I keep reading how Dragon Princes are the bomb-diggety yet cannot see why. They've been underwhelming in battles thus far. What am I missing here?

1. How should I be equipping them character wise? Say I throw in a BSB, what should they be having to suck up challenges or benefit the group?
2. How big should the unit be?
3. How should I support them? Lion Chariot? *ugh*Silver Helms?*/ugh*

I am having some troubles adjusting to high elves after playing more blocky heavy armies. Any help would be awesome.

AND YES... I read through the tactica. It's pretty darned convoluted and messy and hard to sift through.

LKHERO
06-04-2009, 21:20
Dragon Princes being Heavy Cav will most likely draw plenty of enemy fire. The best use for them is to keep them in 5-6 and have them with the Banner of Ellyrion (able to move through terrain). You can then afford to keep them back so they can charge through Terrain and into the flanks of a unit that just charged your Infantry block.

Another use for them is as a combat res hammer. You can take a Noble with Battle Banner and send him with a unit of 9x Dragon Princes and break things with +D6 combat res in every round of combat.

Such is the use of Dragon Princes.. just note that they're still T3 and can take wounds if you send them out themselves.

Bounce Ballington
06-04-2009, 21:24
Ditto that.

WhiteLion
06-04-2009, 21:56
Hey all,

I keep reading how Dragon Princes are the bomb-diggety yet cannot see why. They've been underwhelming in battles thus far. What am I missing here?

1. How should I be equipping them character wise? Say I throw in a BSB, what should they be having to suck up challenges or benefit the group?
2. How big should the unit be?
3. How should I support them? Lion Chariot? *ugh*Silver Helms?*/ugh*

I am having some troubles adjusting to high elves after playing more blocky heavy armies. Any help would be awesome.

AND YES... I read through the tactica. It's pretty darned convoluted and messy and hard to sift through.

I tend to use them in minimum unit size and no command unless I take them with the banner of ellyrion. That's not the only way to use them, of course, but that's what fits my army best.

sroblin
06-04-2009, 22:17
Dragon Princes are bargain priced super-cavalry- they're missing out on the S6 and higher defenses, but they're not that expensive for having multiple attacks and they're fast. They CAN break an average infantry unit on a frontal charge (cause 4-5 kills on average), but if the unit is significantly tougher than average (good armor saves combined WS5 or T4+), than they will need help. It's better not to charge with them if you don't expect to break them because they're left back down at S3 on subsequent turns, but sometimes it pays to delay the enemy for reinforcements.

The most obvious upgrade to the units hitting power comes in the form of a mounted character with a lance- nothing fancy, but S6 attacks do help. The Starlance is especially good, if you don't mind the cost. But there are a lot of units for which Dragon princes don't need the help, so it depends how central they are to your overall strategy. For example, for my army I use DPs in a supporting role, so I don't normally attach a hero to them. In general, the standard and musician can be important if you intend to be doing a lot of head on attacks, but they are expensive. I don't bother too much with champions (+1 attack on a unit that already has 12), but you can give them some useful items if you want, and they could come in handy if you want to divert enemy challenges from an accompanying hero. It's been pointed out that a Drakemaster with the helm is pretty tough to kill, and could be useful for absorbing the attacks of heroes in enemy units.

I think DPs are best taken in units of 6-7, unless you intend to use them in a purely supporting role. You want to hit them with a wide frontage (at least 5, preferrably 6 for the maximum number of attacks), and you want to be able to lose a model or 2 without the unit losing all its effectiveness.

All of the banners have their uses with them, but it is true the Ellyrian banner is great not only for mobility, but because riding through trees protects them from ranged fire, and only for 15 points. Of course the battle banner on a BSB is a powerful trump card (and one that's better mounted for the higher armor save), but it might be overkill on a unit that's already pretty fighty on its own.

Morello
07-04-2009, 01:09
Dragon Princes are great - 2A cavalry for the price is a value. The problem is their lower survivability when compared to other Elite Heavy Cav, and S5 hits instead of S6.

This means you have to carefully choose your targets. As above, the Ellyrion Banner is gold for these guys on the flank - use them to smash weak flanking units and flank charge where appropriate. Versus tough foot troops (3+ Grave Guard, Chosen, Dwarf Elites, Saurus) use them to combo charge and ensure the break instead of going it alone. Try to avoid taking on S4 T4 Cav head on.

I don't like to use a character in this unit as they shouldn't be fighting anything they can't beat without one.

The other option (also stated above) is the 9-strong with a BSB and Battle Banner. This can smash the front of most blocks and break it fast. This tactic is riskier though as it drops a ton of points into a single unit, and one bad round of rolls or inopportune flee can wreck 400 points quickly.