PDA

View Full Version : Refined Tournament Orc List

Malorian
06-04-2009, 21:09
Savage orc warboss w/ battle axe of the last waaagh!
Black orc bigboss BSB w/ spirit totem, heavy armor, boar
Night goblin shaman w/ 2 scrolls
Night goblin shaman w/ staff of sneaky stealing

25 savage orcs w/ spears and full command
25 boyz w/ shield, banner, musician
25 boyz w/ shield, banner
5 wolf riders w/ bows, spears, musician
25 night goblins w/ 2 fanatics, nets, banner

Orc chariot
Orc chariot
2 spear chukkas
2 spear chukkas

Doom diver
Troll

Total: 2250

Improvements:
-I'm now less worried about etheral units so I dropped the magical combat hero for a scroll caddie.
-Turned the fast cav into a night goblin unit.
-Since my last build was giving my warboss 95 points of gear I figured to go all out and give him the battle axe of the last waaagh. You may think that he is too weak defense wise, but I plan to put both him and the BSB in the night goblin unit so that they both basically have toughness 6 and the warboss still has a 6+ ward save.

Still Thinking About:
-Maybe drop fanatics. I know that people will be trying to bait them out, although against those armies I guess I could deploy them farther back.
-If I do drop the fanatics (and 1 NG) I could then make the warboss a black orc on a boar with heavy armor and shield to give him a nice 2+ save.
-Trade battle axe for waaagh cleava.

Gobboman10
06-04-2009, 22:53
My comments are in the quote in red color

Savage orc warboss w/ battle axe of the last waaagh!
Nice! I use Black Orc but w/e fits you.

Black orc bigboss BSB w/ spirit totem, heavy armor, boar
Excactly what i use, great pick.

Night goblin shaman w/ 2 scrolls
I personlly like this choice same with the nest shaman but i usually choose one shaman in my lists

Night goblin shaman w/ staff of sneaky stealing

25 savage orcs w/ spears and full command
Great, solid choices same with the night gobbos.

Fast calvery, awesome but i have noticed that spider riders are better for me, imo, im not sure if u like em or not

25 night goblins w/ 2 fanatics, nets, banner

Orc chariot
Orc chariot
Another strong pick. 2 of these things are awesome.

2 spear chukkas
2 spear chukkas
I either choose 4 chukkas or 2 rock lobbers, but either way nice ranged units.

Doom diver
This is were i would take 2 doom divers not 1

Troll
1 troll isnt going to do too too much, but extra points w/e

Total: 2250

Improvements:
-I'm now less worried about etheral units so I dropped the magical combat hero for a scroll caddie.
-Turned the fast cav into a night goblin unit.
-Since my last build was giving my warboss 95 points of gear I figured to go all out and give him the battle axe of the last waaagh. You may think that he is too weak defense wise, but I plan to put both him and the BSB in the night goblin unit so that they both basically have toughness 6 and the warboss still has a 6+ ward save.

Still Thinking About:
-Maybe drop fanatics. I know that people will be trying to bait them out, although against those armies I guess I could deploy them farther back.
Dont do that, fanactices are good no matter who pulls them out.

-If I do drop the fanatics (and 1 NG) I could then make the warboss a black orc on a boar with heavy armor and shield to give him a nice 2+ save.
I would now, but i still dont know...I would drop the fanactics if it means this.

-Trade battle axe for waaagh cleava.

selone
06-04-2009, 22:58
Firstly is there any special rules or restrictions on the tourny? What sort of armies do you think you'll face both by race and by competiveness?

bob_the_small
06-04-2009, 23:27
First of all, which tournament are you going to? And, that's a good list, just take in what Gobboman10 says...

stonetroll
06-04-2009, 23:57
Hey Malorian,

I generally like the list, but there is a few things I question:

Your warboss: as you allready suggested yourself, I'd go with a BLorc on a Boar. T6 and a 6+ ward is not enough to win challenges from serious characters these days.

Your Scroll caddie: I personally prefer a suicide gobbo on a wolf over a scroll caddie. When I face heavy magic, this guy can usually snipe an enemy mage on turn 2 and when there is no magic heavy adversary, he has an excellent use as a chariot hunter for turn 2. What do you think about this?

Savages with spears: I don't really understand spears on an Orc unit. Either you charge, in which case I'd prefer choppas for the +1S and rely on the first turn break, or you get charged. When you get charged by something serious, you will want to revert to HW& shield to stay alive, while if you get charged by something not so dangerous, you won't really need the spears. Agree?

Fast cav: Why take spears? In my experience, wolf riders won't kill much in CC anyway, and that which they would kill with spears, they would probably kill without spears as well (elven bolt thrower crew for example).

Rare choices: I'd go for double doom diver to be honest, but could you explain your thoughts on the single troll to me?

Last note: Why would you want both your general and BSB in the goblin unit? The nets (+1T) is nice for sure, but IMO your boyz units won't be as hard without a character to rack up some earned CR and the goblins will die very fast, giving up a lot of CR, thereby making your BSB and General liable to fleeing.

Interested in your views on my replies!

Stone

PopeAlexanderVI
07-04-2009, 00:18
I don't see the appeal of spears on the Savage Orcs given how worthless S3 is (especially with WS3).

Malorian
07-04-2009, 01:19
Selone, just the usual has to be painted and legal requirement.

Bob_the_small, There are a series of tournaments coming up, the largest of which would be Onslaught in Edmonton in September. First however is a smaller tournament (16 people) in May.

Stonetroll, I'm coming up against more and more magic that I need to shut down so I added the scroll caddie. The savages to spears are my answer to vampires where I need a unit that can add up some kills. Spears are cheap. Don't think of the troll as a troll, think of it as a fear causing and regenerating throw away unit that doesn't cause panic, and then mix in that it can also be a mini chariot. The characters might move around but when I need them to be safe they will be in the NG unit.

PopeAlexander, you'd be amazed just how much 25 attacks can kill ;)

Stuffburger
07-04-2009, 04:54
For a tournament list I think this is just about as good as O&G can do. I'd trade the bows on one wolf unit for a musician on the NGs but it's such a small difference it doesn't really matter.