PDA

View Full Version : Need some help equipping my fexes

Brendi
06-04-2009, 22:38
Firstly, Iīm not able to magnetize my carnifexi because of crappy magnetes and poor availability.
Also I donīt have a credit card so no interwebs.

I got two kits here at home and I am pretty certain one of em will be a boomfex ( Barbed strangler + scything talons ), but I am not so certain if I should make the other into a dakkafex ( 2x TL- Devourers).

Thing is, I am uncertain just how effective this fex really is, at least if I only got one. Killing 2 smurfs a round doesnīt seem to be a great thing.
That is if youīre in range and LoS.

Another fex Iīd like to make is a beefed up screamer-killer. Iīm thinking most things a godfex got minus the regen and the crushing claws.
Toxic Miasma, WS, and macetail are really the only things I really want in there, but it living longer would be nice, especially since itīd be firetarget number 2 after my cc flyrant I imagine.

I am not too concerned about the dakkafex possibly being useless come 5th ed codex since Iīll just amputate his arms ^_^

So, my final question is, is a dakkafex worth it?

chromedog
06-04-2009, 22:56
It's carnifICES.

As to your dakkafex q. They do pump out a lot of shots, and it depends on how much dakka the rest of your army puts out as to how useful it is. I've seen a couple and they can be effective, but it really depends more on the tactical ability of the player and the synergies of their list.

Mojaco
06-04-2009, 23:18
Carnifeces.
I think dakkafeces look stupid, with those tiny arms. I'd go with the propa fex, the HtH equiped one. But honestly, I only replied so I could say carni- and dakkafeces.

zeep
07-04-2009, 00:08
In honesty, at this stage is sounds like your looking for the "plan" of your army. I would more than likely only 3/4ths assemble the second carni and play a few proxy games so that you can get the feel.

Dakka fexes tend to do well in numbers, not so much by itself. One is an annoyance that can be left for a turn or two until assets are available to counter. Two (and more) tend to start really bugging eyes out. :D

The god fex tends to be a trial in frustration until you get the kinks out of using it. Even after you've perfected your technique it can be a pain. At some point it almost always get rethought.

Tyranids are definitely a case of "try before you buy" as it were. You've stated your objections to magnetizing, but I strongly recommend your reconsider. Cost can be negligible, and pay-pal works off of bank accounts. I've seen them on ebay for less then $5.00 in quantity. To put in much more simply, magnets are much cheaper than bits or another 'fex model.

The Laughing God
07-04-2009, 01:27
I love my Dakka fex. He has so many shots and it's fun to reroll to hit and to wound. Another carnifex I'm liking is barbed strangler and twin linked deathspitter. He's awesome! I too want to field a scream killer but I think that my flyrant is more usefull.

holmcross
07-04-2009, 03:44
Crushing Claws and Regeneration are bad upgrades. Good choice in eschewing em.

@ Laughing God How do you find the BS/DS carni compaires to the BS/ST one? Obviously its got more shooty, but I'm not the biggest fan of having guns with different ranges on them.

Threeshades
07-04-2009, 04:17
It's carnifICES.

As to your dakkafex q. They do pump out a lot of shots, and it depends on how much dakka the rest of your army puts out as to how useful it is. I've seen a couple and they can be effective, but it really depends more on the tactical ability of the player and the synergies of their list.

Either its Carnifeci or it can be anything.

You dont always need a credit card to do shopping on the interwebs. Often a paypal account already does the trick pretty good.

As for Carnifeixizeces, I'm looking into trying them as CC monsters again. Sure not the most effective of options, but its the most stylish, and surely not completely useless. Can be quite useful in objective games for example to rally enemy troops out of the objective.

Brendi
07-04-2009, 11:12
In honesty, at this stage is sounds like your looking for the "plan" of your army. I would more than likely only 3/4ths assemble the second carni and play a few proxy games so that you can get the feel.

Dakka fexes tend to do well in numbers, not so much by itself. One is an annoyance that can be left for a turn or two until assets are available to counter. Two (and more) tend to start really bugging eyes out. :D

The god fex tends to be a trial in frustration until you get the kinks out of using it. Even after you've perfected your technique it can be a pain. At some point it almost always get rethought.

Tyranids are definitely a case of "try before you buy" as it were. You've stated your objections to magnetizing, but I strongly recommend your reconsider. Cost can be negligible, and pay-pal works off of bank accounts. I've seen them on ebay for less then $5.00 in quantity. To put in much more simply, magnets are much cheaper than bits or another 'fex model.

Yeah, itīs not too long since I started again ( lost 2k pts of tyranids somewhere in moving a couple of years ago >_> ). And I am looking to test the new nids out propa.
My (temporary) aim is for a 1750 pts tournament list with about 5 TMC where three are carnies ( :P ). I am too fond of the entire list to spend too many points on the MCs.
So far I got 20 termagants, 6 warriors (Ds +1 Bs), 1 Gunfex, 1 lictor, 16 genestealers, 6 ripper swarms, flyrant and a dakkatyrant assembled (painted everything except 3 warriors and a ripper swarm.)

Unassembled I got 5 raveners + a red terror that needs some fixin, 1 lictor, 1 Zoanthrope and 2 carnies.

All in all my reason for being reluctant about the dakkafex is that Iīll only be getting 3 fexes and only 1 of them elite. So it would be a solo one.
I think I will be fielding them without arms for a little while and give them a proper tryout. Also, I like the ST on the boomfex, making it a better multipurpose weapon in my opinion.

The thing about the godfex is that it doesnnīt really have to be a godfex. I think I could get it down to 135 points or something like it, thatīs without any defensive upgrades. Itīll most likely end up at 160-165 depending on if I take 2+ or T7.

As for the Ds/Bs carnifex. I think itīs a cool idea, more so than the dakkafex, but again it doesnīt have ST :P

Also Iīm not a big fan of the gunfex, but I think the VC is worth it. Thing is, do I need more than one in my army? Was fooling around with the notion of a VC, ST, expensifex.

I would like to magnetize, but me and internet got some trustissues. Itīs silly, I know, but I feel uncomfortable with spending cash on it.
Iīll check out paypal though.

aquilius
07-04-2009, 11:37
Assuming carnifex is trying to be latin and you'd want to model it after rex. Then the plural would be carnifeges. I imagine that the preferred ways of seeing it would be carnifeces or carnifexes though. You deffinitly aren't going to make it carnifeci as that is no where near plural, it's dative singular. As for any of the other suggestions, just no.

I'm sure that you could pick up magnets at a local craft or hardware store.

Brendi
07-04-2009, 13:23
Hmm, I reckon I can check out some of the other stores in my town.
Iīve only checked with the two that sell warhammer minis, one that is a general hobbystore for lots of other things, where I got the crappy magnets.

SPYDER68
07-04-2009, 14:32
Also try the toy isle for the building sets held together bye magnets.

Brendi
07-04-2009, 15:54
Sorry mate, no idea what kinda store the toy isle is :p, I live in Norway though, might have something to do with it.

While we are on the subject of equipping models.
I just bought 3 boxes of gaunts and 2 of the 5-gaunt packs with termagaunts.
I was thinking of making the hormagaunts hormagaunts instead of converting them into spinegaunts since I like hormagaunts fluffwise and mechanic wise. I just hate the cost.

Then I got to thinking, with the probably new releases weīll get whenever our new codex gets out weīll probably get separate gaunt boxes. If this is correct Iīm thinking
I should just make them into spinegaunts and get the new ones when hormagaunts might be worth the points.

So, should I convert them to spine or keep them as is?

SPYDER68
07-04-2009, 16:09
Toy isle as in.. any store that sells toy's :P Just check the section to see if they have any of the building sets with magnets that hold it together.

Vampiric16
07-04-2009, 17:37
If you like hormagaunts, keep em as is. They're still viable. In the case of the fexes, do what i do and blue tac them. Simple.

Brendi
07-04-2009, 18:17
Hmm, I googled blu-tack and it seems pretty effective Iīll check around town.
Any suggestions to what stores might sell it or sell similar products?

Glad to hear Hormagaunts arenīt that bad. Still hope theyīre getting a cost reduction though :P

Nexus Trimean
07-04-2009, 18:24
Radio Shack, and ACE hardware both sell magnets in the US.

Deon
07-04-2009, 23:15
:hormagaunt are pretty good in in cc and are really fast in getting there.
i stil think a close combat fex is the way to go i have one with crussing claws, tusked, scything talons and a scyted tail weapon and the extra wound and touhgnes option, almost noting can stand in its way:p

carldooley
08-04-2009, 00:57
it probably wouldn't hurt to have one each as they both have their uses. After one tournament I was so incensed about chasing one of the armies around the board with my dakkafexii that I changed them all to boomfexii. In hindsight, I'll probably change 2 of them back to dakkafexii and get an additional dakka-tyrant and some feeder tendril heads for my genestealers.

think 2 forces at 1500:
1 Dakka-tyrant
1 Dakka-fex
2 Boom-fexii
6 genestealers with feeder tendrils

times 2

Brendi
08-04-2009, 01:01
A cc fex is definately tempting, going to play on saturday so Iīll try it out then, also I will probably have assembled my gaunts by then so I will give them a trial by fire as well.