PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Army

Stmr5000
07-04-2009, 00:26
I had been talking with some of the people at the hobby store in my town, when we started talking about the idea of an all dragon army. I think that this would be an interesting edition. It could be a mega elite army, with troops that make demons fold like wet towels. The variety of troops could be from vaious age groups and subspecies.

Comments?

theunwantedbeing
07-04-2009, 00:39
Been done before, failed utterly.
Dragon armies just plain don't work in a balanced way, and if they do...they arent a dragon army anymore, you end out with somehting more like lizardmne with flying characters.

eg.
you have multiple 250-400pt models in the army
or
you make up weaker troops that cannot fly to supplement the dragons, but then it's not a dragon army now is it?

Either way.
4 dragons thrown into a unit will invariably beat it. Plus 4 breath weapons can cripple most units, it has massive balance issues if its an army of dragons.
It's just boring otherwise.
So your damned if you do, and damned if you dont.

sulla
07-04-2009, 00:40
United dragons of beneton? Unless you have a bunch of different dragon models (a la McFarlanes stuff), then a bunch of the same model painted different colours would be pretty dull.

That said, it's a fantasy game, I would have no problems with a dragon army in the game. Especially since the average dragon would be about griffon stats going by the HE dragon type rules.

Lordchipper
07-04-2009, 01:34
Ok

there are some things you are gonna want to work in, like a special game mechanic that makes them fun to play. Say an instinctual behavior rule that makes them very difficult to control. Dragons are highly intelligent sentient beings but also extremely proud, and dont work together very well....they are not trained soldiers that pay heed to a commanders orders, they do what they want when it comes to battle, they may fight together, but will not instinctly do complex tag team moves, Unless there is a older, more intelegent dragon that they will listen to..

so how about ( if all dragons) every dragon has to take a leadership test ( ld 6 for this check, but ld 8 normally?) if they fail, which is likely, they either suffer from the stupidy move, or must charge...

Also, how bout one unit of dragon whelps must be taken that count as double Victory points ( protect the young) or all the dragons are worth double victory points. Also, the whelps would have a Angered parent rule, where when a unit of whelps is killed, the Commander dragon goes ape **** ( an advanced frenzy)

Lords would be similar to a star dragon ( HE dragon types as guidlines)
hero a moon dragon, or a beefed up sun dragon with some magic
core, i slightly worse star dragon, or dragon whelps ( flying ogres)
special and rare.. i have no idea

magic items.. types of dragons ( colors) that give different benefits

Also, Considering the ennemy is fighting an entire army of dragons, they would get some benefits, like all the hero's can take 75pts of magic items ( they are going to hunts dragons... they would be well prepared) and lords 150, and one unit get the rule that they can shoot at flyers without the -1 to hit.. or all the dragons would be worth double victory points, ( no or 0-1 war machines if this is the case)

those are my ideas...

Stuffburger
07-04-2009, 01:40
A lot of armies simply aren't set up well to handle dragons, while to other's it's not that big a deal. Turns into rock-paper-scissors sort of thing that won't be good for more than 1 or 2 novelty games.

Maybe allow the opponent a special "dragon hunters" list with lots of high S troops and cannons and stuff to make it more interesting?

Hellebore
07-04-2009, 01:44
A dragon ogre army would be better and much more interesting. Because shartaks pwnz joo all!

Hellebore

Stmr5000
07-04-2009, 01:54
I had the idea of that since dragons are natural treasure hoarders, whenever an enemy character is killed, the dragon take their magic items and count them towards victory points. This would make up for the fact that a dragon wouldn't pick up the standard of a fleeing unit (It's cloth, who cares?), unless it was a magic standard (Oooooh, shiney.) Also, a unit of whelps could probably have a champion (The "alpha male" of the liter) but probably no standard or musician.

Darwin_green
07-04-2009, 02:02
well, the other option is go through the D&D route or Hordes route and introduce Dragon spawn into your force.

Makarion
07-04-2009, 04:53
I don't think it'd be a very interesting game, unless you grant free ItP to your opponents at the very least.

Cypher, the Emperor
07-04-2009, 06:13
I hate to mention World of Warcraft on a Warhammer forum, but they have a pretty good fleshed out dragon race, with a ton of backround that covers what your looking for:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Infinite_dragonflight

Also those dragon people from Dragonlance.

Devil Tree
07-04-2009, 10:08
The idea kind of reminds me of an Ogres vs Giants game I read about in White Dwarf or Online. It sounds like an interesting concept for one off special games, but I canít see an army book made out of it.

As far as the Dragon spawn concept goes, whatís the point? Besides kicking Lizardmen in the teeth, of course. :(

Darwin_green
07-04-2009, 10:55
to be honest, you might as well go into the realm of an alternate game.

Armies of arcana and No quarter both have army creation abilities built into them. It wouldn't be hard on your fellow warhammer players and anyone else who's collected other assorted minis.

armies of arcana- www.thanesgames.com the book's pretty inexpensive and the online activity is pretty active.

No Quarter- http://wargamesunlimited.net/noquarter/index.html free rules online, but not too much activity on the forums.

O&G'sRule
07-04-2009, 11:20
Its a good idea for a scenario but not play play with week after week

badgeraddict
07-04-2009, 12:00
If you want a dragon army I suggest you (if you don't already) play High Elves.

They can have dragons.

Lots of them.

Or Lizardmen.

Saurus warriors are glorified Komodo Dragons are they not?

The_Dragon_Rising
07-04-2009, 18:33
Also those dragon people from Dragonlance.

Draconians

Leogun_91
07-04-2009, 23:47
They would not fit the current armies backgroundwise and gamewise.

If you however would make it ancient battles it would work, have an army of dragons, one of dragonogres, the lizardmen and some now extinct races destroyed by the lizardmen and you would have intresting battles at an early age of the world.

omgadinosaur
08-04-2009, 16:53
If you want a dragon army I suggest you (if you don't already) play High Elves.

They can have dragons.

Lots of them.

Or Lizardmen.

Saurus warriors are glorified Komodo Dragons are they not?

+1

To me it wouldn't make fluff sense at all. I mean, wear would they come from? Dragons are really rare already and now there is a separate group that no one knew about, that have decided to fly around and attack all the other races?

I don't like it.

Dragons are already in Fantasy and adding an army of them seams gimmicky. You can be a Calendor themed HE army and have tons or almost any other race and have A dragon or dragon-esque creature and so I don't see the need.

I don't mean to be insulting or anything but I think it would comparable to Warhammer: Cannons or Warhammer: Horses.

An army of people with Cannons. They could be lead by a great cannon and then their troops would be cannons and they could have special sub cannons which would help out the rest of the army. It would be very odd but still it would totally be awesome.

Or

An army of Horses! They are led by a bipedal Horse lord. They all move at M9 and thus are the fastest army in the game. They would be balanced out because they would only be able to have barding. They could tie lances to themselves for knight-like warriors and they could also have horses that shot cross bows (with their hooves). They also have a special rule which makes enemy horses rebel and thus all other horse cavalry only moves at half their speed!!!1

Ok the dragon army isn't that ridiculous but still, it doesn't fit. I'd much rather see GW bring in sea-people or some eastern humans.

/rant over

Harwammer
08-04-2009, 17:09
A dragon army would be conceivable if climate change hit the warhammer world big time, setting the planet's thermostat to a temperature comfortable for dragons to wake in... alternatively there could be a couple of current dragons who try to create a new order of dragons (think Naggy and Vox in everquest).

If a dragon race is on the cards I really hope a race of humanoid dragons aren't included. In everquest I remember there being sarnak, dragorn and drakkin. They were all stupid.

rabitshadow
09-04-2009, 14:36
It would be the greatest 4 model army the Warhammer World has ever seen!
And I love the idea of the all horse army, perhaps some of the geneticly enhanced horses (which there will be) that have fingers and thumbs could also lead the cannon army.
They would then make friends with the Dragons and when they inter-marry and have kids a new race would be formed, Canhogans, commenly known today as "tards".