PDA

View Full Version : 1k O&G starter list

Fenix
07-04-2009, 05:07
Some friends are trying to get me into Fantasy. After having a look at the various armies O&G look the most interesting to me. I like the feel of the army and I love a lot of the models. I am looking to make a 1k list for friendly play. I tried to take a combination of units that are decent and a few fun ones to keep thing interesting. Here is what I have come up with so far.

Black Orc Big Boss - 92
Heavy armor
shield

(25) Orcs - 165
Musician
standard
shield

(25) Orcs - 165
Musician
standard
shield

(20) Night goblins - 139
Musician
3 x fanatics

(2) Goblin spear chukka - 70

(10) Squig hoppers - 150

(9) Black orcs - 135
musician
standard
(Black orc boss here)

Goblin doom diver - 80

total = 995

The idea is to use the 2 big orc blocks as a center anvil unit to support the black ors with the boss and march them up the field. Both goblin units will be used to protect one flank and smash what ever they can reach.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Shiodome
07-04-2009, 05:45
Hey, welcome to O&G's :D

It's a great starting list, focused on block infantry with fun stuff sprinkled about for support... the way it should be. I don't know if you already have the models which might dictate your choices? Anyway, if i was writing up a small list for myself i'd add a couple of bits and bobs.

Firstly a battle standard bearer (BSB) is really important for the greenskins, just to keep them from running away. So try and find room for one no matter how small your force.

Secondly in a small force 3 fanatics is a lot of points (more than the cost of the unit they're in!) and are probably taking the place of something else more crucial (in this case you could almost swap the fanatics straight for a BSB).

Thirdly you will find some manouverabilty usefull (having fast stuff is more fun to play with too). As warhammer is often won in the movement phase. If i was writing the list myself it'd be something like this.

Black Orc Big Boss - 92
Heavy armor
shield
a solid leader

Orc Big Boss - 115
Battle standard, boar, light armour, shield
the boar gives him a healthy 3+ armour save, and the plastic orc bos set comes with enough to make one orc on boar and one on foot... so that perfectly matches these 2 characters)

(19) Orcs - 144
Musician
standard
shield
(black orc boss here)

(19) Orcs - 144
Musician
standard
shield
(BSB here)
i reduced the units to 19, as that's how many cmoe in a box, and you can get away with smaller units in 1,000 point games. as you expand you'd beef them up to 25/30 as you originally had them

(20) Night goblins - 64
Musician
no fanatics but still usefully for adding their rank bonus to combats the orcs/chariot get into

(5) Wolf Riders - 71
musician, spears
really usefull, very fast, a much needed option to go after warmachines quickly or stopping yourself getting outmanouvered

(2) Goblin spear chukka - 75
1 orc bully
and orc bully with 1 spear chukka, means it doesn't care if the other spear chukka runs away :P but really i just had 5 spare points

(9) Squig hoppers - 135
i just dropped 1 from the unit to free up points to give the BSB his boar

(1) Orc Boar chariot - 80
packs more punch than the small unit of black orcs (on the charge) for less points, and is faster... and looks cool

Goblin doom diver - 80
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! SPLAT!

total = 1,000

Hope adding my thinking behind choices helps or gives you ideas. By no means copy my list, just some suggestions to help out... i've tried to bear in mind how many models come in a box etc with unit size and character equipment, as it often gets overlooked when writing out a first list.

good luck!

Stuffburger
07-04-2009, 05:58
Looks good for friendly play, but since O&G are fairly low on the army power ladder some tweaking wouldn't hurt.

Black Orc Big Boss - 92
Heavy armor
shield
Good choice. I often mount on a boar for greater save and movement (and can charge out of the unit when needed). Should probably have magic items, the akrit axe and enchanted shield is a good combo.

(25) Orcs - 165
Musician
standard
shield

(25) Orcs - 165
Musician
standard
shield

Mainstay orc bricks are a good choice. Some prefer to run blocks with dual choppas for maximum killing power. Better in some situations, worse in others. If not joined by a character, a boss may be worth it. The WS4 S4 A2 can be counted on for an extra kill against most troops.

(20) Night goblins - 139
Musician
3 x fanatics

3 Fanatics is probably too much. If the goblins are panicked the fanatics auto-die and most players will try to bait them out with worthless units. 1-2 is more normal.

Taken in almost every O&G army

(10) Squig hoppers - 150

10 is too many. These guys really only need to be able to take 1-2 shooting casualties and still have full fighting models on their charge. Save points and get 6-8.

(9) Black orcs - 135
musician
standard
(Black orc boss here)

Good hammer unit, not a good place for the boss to go. His quell animosity, better combat skills and higher leadership are wasted in this unit, which really doesn't need the help. Put the boss in an orc boyz brick and give these guys the banner of butchery for maximum killing power.

Goblin doom diver - 80

Good use of a rare slot in higher points battles. in smaller games, you may be better served by two solo trolls.

Second the call for a BSB. Orc leadership is not very good and I find the reroll essential. Overall though, a pretty good list.

Fenix
07-04-2009, 06:30
Thanks for the quick replies all. I have not bought any thing yet so there is plenty of room to play with the army :D. I have tweaked the list some with both of your suggestions.

Black Orc Big Boss - 92
Heavy armor
shield

Orc Big boss - 97
Light armor
Battle Standard

(24) Orcs - 159
Musician
standard
shield
BO boss here

(24) Orcs - 159
Musician
standard
shield
Standard here

(20) Night goblins - 139
Musician
1 x fanatics

(5) Goblin wolf riders - 66
Musician

(7) Squig hoppers - 105

Orc boar chariot - 80

Goblin doom diver - 80

I kept the orc blocks larger because I like to model and paint whole units at a time and not have to come back to them later. The main reason I took the NG was for the fanatic, so I kept one. Let me know what you thing of the new list.

Stuffburger
07-04-2009, 06:47
Very serviceable list. You are likely to find your characters underpowered with no magic, but the extra unit from the saved points may balance that out, if used well. Good luck!

Balthazaar
07-04-2009, 07:59
Your edited list looks very good.

can I suggest you take Morks Spirit totem for some magic defence.

Also look into giving the Black orcs the Banner of Butchery, its very useful for them, it gives them an additional attack in the turn its used. pretty good if you are using great weapons or extra choppas for a flurry of high strength attacks.

25 blocks of orcs are a good number and are harder to break due to the extra rank. A good choice!
in bigger games consider running 3 of these blocks for a steady backbone to your army. Orcs are T4 so for some armies are hard to take down.

Fenix
07-04-2009, 16:09
Thanks every one. I am going to run with the second list. It will be a few weeks before I can start the army, but I will try to start a project log when I do.